Film 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Guard
I loved this, thought it was really funny, with strong performances all round. I didn't realise Mark Strong was in it, but he was also good. Some strong accents to try to decipher, but it's manageble.

The Skin I Live In
This wasn't quite what I thought it would be. It was quite good, but also quite disturbing. I heard one guy saying it reminded him of the human centipede at times, and while it isn't as visually gross, the idea behind it is similarly disturbing, I think, but the film itself is a much better product, and probably has more artistic merit than Human Centipede.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I disagree about the ending of Super 8. I thought it was a good ending and better than the middle section which was the weak period of the film for me. The ending was an homage to ET, quite clearly but nowhere near as moving and powerful.

Cowboys and Aliens was a film I think will become a cult film especially now it has tanked at the box office. Its a shame as it really is a superb 2 hours of nonsense. One of the most enjoyable films of recent times.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Only a couple of days late (I've had no internet at home for a couple of days)

September

Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin, and David Tennant star in a 3D remake, Fright Night (2011) - IMDb (trailer)

For the third or fourth time this is in the list, but as it finally has a schedule at the marina, I think it is finally coming out. Not to be confused as a sequel, Apollo 18 (2011) - IMDb is a horror that tells us “the real story” of this particular space mission. Yeah, I doubt it’s really the real story, too. I mean, we all know the moon landings were fake... ;) (trailer)

The Art of Getting By (2011) - IMDb is a drama starring Freddie Highmore (from the fantastic August Rush and the ok Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; and Emma Roberts as two teens who meet and recognise the kindred spirits and whatnot(trailer)

You know those films where to describe them might spoil them, this is one of them: Kill List (2011) - IMDb it is a film about hitmen and one final job.
(trailer)

Melissa George continues to find work, this time in A Lonely Place to Die (2011) - IMDb about mountaineers in Scotland who find a girl who had been kidnapped, this ensues some cat and mouse type shenanigans.(trailer)

Another film about two friends who start sleeping with each other without being in a proper relationship, this time with the gorgeous Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake, Friends with Benefits (2011) - IMDb. I know I can’t believe Dharma is JT’s mum. (trailer)

Have you ever wondered what Batman would be like if he didn’t dress like a bat. And was a woman. Well, wonder no more as Zoe Saldana stars as a woman whose parents were killed in front of her and so she became a vigilante in Colombiana (2011) - IMDb. (trailer)

The Bronte novel gets made into another film. Jane Eyre (2011) - IMDb starring Mia Wasikowska from Alice in Wonderland and Michael Fassbender from X-men: First Class. (trailer)

Norway gives us fantasy comedy with TrollHunter (2010) - IMDb. I hope this is as good as the trailer makes me think it is... (trailer)

It’s been a while since we’ve had one of those switcheroonie movies, but don't worry, Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds are gonna hit you up with The Change-Up (2011) - IMDb, where one is a ladies man, the other is a happily married father. (trailer)

Don’t let the fact it the main star is Sarah Jessica Parker keep you from going to watch I Dont Know How She Does It (2011) - IMDb. It also stars hotties such as Sarah Shahi Busy Philipps, Christina Hendricks and Olivia Munn. These gorgeous woman will be going on about women power or something. (trailer)

An all star cast star in Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) - IMDb, a comedy drama romancey thing about family and relationships. I guess it would be in the same mould as Dan in Real Life also starring Steve Carell. (trailer)

Rya Gosling continues his mainstream growth with Drive (2011) - IMDb as a stunt diver who also works as a getaway driver. A job goes wrong and a price is put on his head. Also stars Carey Mulligan and Bryan Cranston. (trailer)

Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton star as brothers who compete in an MMA contest in Warrior (2011) - IMDb. Also features Nick Nolte as their father nd former WWE, current TNA Olympic gold medallist, Kurt Angle. (trailer)

I usually try to stick to UK cinematic releases in my monthly previews, but feel the need to give a special mention to direct to dvd/bd movie Tucker Dale vs Evil (2010) - IMDb with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine as two locals who get mistaken by a bunch of preppy school kids as murderous yokels. (trailer)

Lars von Trier hopes his faux pas at the Cannes Film Festival won’t overshadow Melancholia (2011) - IMDb a pondering movie about depression in which Kirsten Dunst gets completely naked. (trailer)

Trying to recapture the fun of Piranha 3D is Shark Night 3D (2011) - IMDb, I’m not sue they have succeeded. (trailer)

Helen Mirren, Tom Wilkinson and Ciaran Hinds star inhttp://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1226753/ a film about Russian spies. I think I mentioned this in an earlier pos, but it appears to have had it’s release date changed. (trailer)

Kevin Smith’s penultimate movie (well, his next and final one will be split in two) Red State (2011) - IMDb is his darkest yet. A horror centred on a religious family, this film is being released in an unusual way. Read more about it here: The Red Statements
(trailer)

Anna Faris stars as a woman who looks back over her last 20 relationships, wondering if she has overlooked Mr Right in Whats Your Number? (2011) - IMDb. Chris Evans, Ryan Phillippe, Zachary Quinto and Andy Samberg play some of the men. (trailer)

Other big movies this month: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - IMDb (trailer)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Not long back from Kill List now. I quite enjoyed the deadpan neo-realism of Ben Wheatley's last film, the Brighton-based gangster chronicle Down Terrace, and i'd read this has the same sort of tone to it. And it does. No mafia this time, but the ordinary life of a former soldier struggling to get back to normal. Him and the wife argue loudly at his repeated refusal to just get out there and bring home the bacon and their son seems almost used to it and unflinching in their sometime rage. Only when his mate comes for dinner and more rowing ensues does he decide to accept a job - the assassination of three men. The dialogue continues to be natural and as is, a fair chunk of it adlibbed by the cast, and some of it plain funny. Different to Pulp Fiction's funny, chiselled hitmen routine this feels more darkly authentic. There's an eerieness to it just like that of Repulsion as Catherine Deneuve goes mad on her own in London, mostly backed by a long run of ghostly whistles in the background as if insanity has a tune to it. So there's some bloodbathery and some slightly grotesque horror at times built to unsettle as the scarred hitmen go about their maybe imperfect business, their wives waiting at home.
I generally liked it. At the end it became a bit too outlandish and twisted, but it had an interesting feel to it. Gruesome, but sometimes charming.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw Kill List this afternoon and I have to say I walked out quite underwhelmed, thinking it was very much like another film that it would be a spoiler to mention on here. However it is the sort of film that has me still thinking about it after viewing, and has more substance and is more affecting than the other film it reminded me of.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I enjoyed Rise Of The Planet of the Apes and didnt think I would 7.5/10

Looking forward to Troll Hunter

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Skin I Live In
This wasn't quite what I thought it would be. It was quite good, but also quite disturbing. I heard one guy saying it reminded him of the human centipede at times, and while it isn't as visually gross, the idea behind it is similarly disturbing, I think, but the film itself is a much better product, and probably has more artistic merit than Human Centipede.

I thought this film was great. It was disturbing, and kept me in suspense. Go see.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Guard
I loved this, thought it was really funny, with strong performances all round. I didn't realise Mark Strong was in it, but he was also good. Some strong accents to try to decipher, but it's manageble.

Strong film then?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Cherry Tree Lane and Eat Pray Love

They're both sickening (but for completely different reasons). They're also both rubbish and derivative

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think the next must see is The Troll Hunter.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Fright Night 3D
This is only available in 3D at the marina. The 3D adds nothing to it. The film itself is just ok, Colin Farell and David Tennant look like they're having fun.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Very good. Great effects, touching relationships, well told story.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I saw Fright Night tonight and reasonably enjoyed it. Yes, the 3D element was pointless, but it had a half-decent cast, which is rare for a cheap-thrill horror, and one of the writers, i believe, was an old writer from Buffy, so had some experience. Farrell was an uncommonly macho charmer and of course his character sucks the blood violently from Chris Sarandon's neck, the man who played the same role in the original. Much better-constructed than some of the pap i see.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
OK so Jane Eyre is a plain-faced northerner, as the majority like to tell her, and that doesn't sound like something all that attractive to look at for close to two hours, but it's a story of heart and bravery, as we all know, having been to school at least a few times, and makes for watchable-enough cinema. The cast was impressive. Michael Fassbender is one of the few actors i can never imagine playing something poorly. He has a certain power and presence to him, even if he never quite seems like the standard leading man. His cocky, heart-stirring swagger of Mr Rochester is effective. Mia Wasikowska, who i understand was the daughter in The Kids Are Alright, is brilliant as Jane. The direction, though, had the film less emotive than it could have been. The look of it was ok, but the editorial and the plinkety plunk music throughout didn't have me enormously moved and my heart wasn't pierced by a rippling sense of love and desire no matter how well the actors tried to play it.
Certainly worth a watch for some quality acting.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Just finished watching Red State. Really enjoyed it for it's unpredictable plot. I had absolutely NO idea what was going to happen next. The subject material is the type of thing that would spawn a binfest NSC thread worthy of 50 pages though. :guns: :angel:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Watched Troll Hunter Yesterday and its brilliant, ive never been scared and laughing at the same time. Dont let the subtitles put you of, its 8/10.

Brief overview.

Students follow chap they beleive is a bear poacher, turns out hes a troll hunter keeping the existence of trolls secret for the Government and sorting out rogue ones. He's had enough and decides to let the kids film him. Its a bit Cloverfield, filmwise, but again its way better than Cloverfield.

If you like black twisted humour and "get it" you will love it. It references the fairy tales and not internet trolls in case anyone was wondering.

It shows its time to pension of duds like Cameron and Spielburg for fresh new talent like the producer of this film. I saw Cowboys and aliens a while back and although entertaining and good CGD monsters, it was predictable cliched and steriotipical of a lot of Speilburgs stuff these days.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I know this was last year, but I want to see if anyone shares my view that Shutter Island > Inception?

After all the build up to Inception I thought it was very over complicated for the sake of being over complicated, and the plot was a bit all over the shop.

Shutter Island, however, was a modern day Shining. How it didn't get any Oscars I will never know.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw Trollhunter ths evening. I was expecting it to be a bit more whimsical than it was, but it was good.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
With a young British cast including Benedict Cumberbatch who excelled as Sherlock Holmes.

Cast
Credited cast:
David Thewlis ... Lyons
Benedict Cumberbatch ... Major Stewart
Tom Hiddleston ... Captain Nichols
Toby Kebbell ... Geordie
Emily Watson ... Albert's mother
Peter Mullan ... Albert's Father

That's not a young cast!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports