Film 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I normally only comment on my cinema visits here, but I streamed His Girl Friday on lovefilm. It was utterly brilliant. The dialogue is fast paced, and it's easy to miss some really clever funny lines. I would definitely recommend it. (imdb page)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It started on Monday with the rather sweet Submarine. A coming of age comedy drama in Wales in the late 80s. It isn't groundbreaking and not lollishly hilarious, but there was enough cinematic play and tender renditions of the light tortures of teen life to keep one entertained. You can really feel the writing and direction of Richard Ayoade in there, that IT Crowd comic. Paddy Considine is amusing too.

Agree. Its not laugh-out-loud funny, and all the characters are curiously unlikeable. Oh, and Alex Turner's soundtrack isn't all that. But put 'em all together and it works somehow. Cute.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Submarine

IT Crowd star Richard Ayoade's full-length directorial debut all about an oddball welsh teenager, Oliver, and the events of his first love coinciding with the disintegration of his parents' marriage. A bittersweet film, at times amusing and at others poignant and slightly oversentimental.

As expected given his previous efforts behind the camera with many Arctic Monkeys' videos, I thought the camerawork was superb, with nice sequences using Super 8 film and the amusing dodgy 80s video footage with Paddy Considine's creepy Graham character not too dissimilar to something you'd see in the fantastic Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, one of Ayoade's earlier works. It also reminded me a bit of Jeunet films like Amelie in the sense that the thread kept going off-tangent into train-of-thought sequences (like when Oliver dreams of his own death in the early stages of the film).

I quite liked it, the girlfriend thought it was a bit wanky.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I saw Submarine too. Quite sweet and funny, but felt overwhelminly like someone had given a sixth-form studio a big budget. Paddy Cansidine and the soundtrack were by far the best bits but it was very funny at times 6.5

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Submarine - 7.9

**Spolier warning**

T'uther half and I both loved it, fantastic cinematography, very funny "Well it was only a hand job" and other great awkward parent/teen interaction. The story was true to the book to a large extent, although would have liked his reunion with 'fat' Zoe to have been in the film and I thought the ending made you think him and Jordana might get back together whereas in the book the relationship ends.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Submarine - 7.9

**Spolier warning**

T'uther half and I both loved it, fantastic cinematography, very funny "Well it was only a hand job" and other great awkward parent/teen interaction. The story was true to the book to a large extent, although would have liked his reunion with 'fat' Zoe to have been in the film and I thought the ending made you think him and Jordana might get back together whereas in the book the relationship ends.

Not sure whether he changed the ending or wanted to leave it blank but I thought the ending was them getting back together.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
LIMITLESS - Having seen the trailers and with it sounding like an original idea, I was looking forward to this. Big mistake.
Utter dross. Slow start to the film. Fast forward to the beginning of the end. Ultimately nothing happened. Not even an appearance of Robert de Niro could rescue this film and I'm amazed it has managed such a long run on the big screen.
I would have left early, had it not meant waking the person sleeping next to me. 3/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
April

The easter bunny gets the Alvin and the Chipmunks treatment in Hop, which sees the next bunny due to take over the easter bunny role, but he isn’t too keen on the idea. This animation stars the voice talents of Russell Brand, James Marsden and Elizabeth Perkins. (trailer)

The comedy Killing Bono sees the story of two brothers who are attempting to become rockstars who have to watch their best friends U2 explode into global stardom. (trailer)

The story of a Nottingham Social Worker exposing a scandal of forced child migration is told in Oranges and Sunshine, starring Emily Watson, David Wenham and Hugo Weaving. (trailer)

Cedar Rapids sees Ed Helms from the American version of The Office and The Hangover represent his company at a convention for Insurance Salesmen. (trailer)

Fox, the studio behind Ice Age brings us Rio, an animation about a Macaw’s adventures as it takes off for Rio De Janeiro. (trailer)

Vincent Gallo is a political prisoner who attempts to escape in Essential Killing. (trailer)

Not to be confused as a sequel, Apollo 18 is a horror that tells us “the real story” of this particular space mission. Yeah, I doubt it’s really the real story, too. I mean, we all know the moon landings were fake... ;) (trailer)

Peter Pan’s Rachel Hurd-Wood stars with some unfamiliar names as a group of high school students who band together to fight when their country is invaded and their parents abducted in Tomorrow, When the War Began. (trailer)

Bandslam’s Vanessa Hudgens stars with Alex Pettyfer in a modern take on the Beauty and the Beast tale Beastly, set in high school, can the love of Hudgens save the cursed arrogant bad boy Pettyfer and help him mend his ways? (trailer)

The horrors of new college roommates are addressed in The Roommate a college set thriller starring Cam Gigandet, Leighton Meester, Billy Zane, Minka Kelly and Alyson Michalka. (trailer)

South Korea send over the eye catching I Saw The Devil which sees a secret agent blur the line when his fiancée is the victim of a serial killer. Check out the trailer here.

Source Code sees Jake Gyllenhaal star as a man who revisits the recent past for a few minutes at a time to investigate the cause of accidents, in the process he falls for the victim of a train crash, Michelle Monaghan and is determined to go back to save her. (trailer)

Mars Needs Moms is an animation that sees a young boy develop a new appreciation for his mum when she is abducted by martians. Stars the voice talents of Seth Green, Joan Cusack, Breckin Meyer and Billy Dee Williams. (trailer)

Dwayne Johnson joins Vin Diesel and Paul Walker for the fifth film in the fast and the furious franchise, simply called Fast Five (trailer)

Fans of Eastbound and Down will probably have high hopes for Your Highness as Danny McBride and James Franco play brothers who go off to rescue Natalie Portman. (trailer)

Disney have got on board with the re-booting trend and have started again with Winnie the Pooh. (trailer)

Other big films this month include: Thor (trailer), Red Riding Hood (trailer), Scream 4 (trailer), and Sucker Punch. (trailer)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It seems that hardmen have stubble. Arnie in Predator looked pretty much his meanest there with both his muscular minute-long handshakes and the sandpapery face he later in the film daubed with mud. It must mean you're not in the mood for conversations and you're here to get the job done. And whatever you, do don't kiss me unless you fancy a serious rash. Nicholas Cage grew one to look hard when he turned to the action genre. And Denzel tends to have a thin goatee if he's in the mood for business. Personally, i just look dirty with one. Anyway, Jake Gyllenhaal is continuing his spirited turn into the action industry with Source Code. Maybe with Jake it's less about how tough he's become and more to distract you from looking at how close-together his eyes are.
Now, in the review i read, which lauded the whole film, it said you wouldn't have a clue what was going on for large chunks, but i slightly disagree with that. I generally did. Or when i didn't, it didn't really matter. I reckon as soon as you have a decent backing track full of thrills and tension then what happens on-screen should all-too-simply follow suit. You could put a monkey playing cards with his reflection up there and have an audience wonder what's going on for a good twenty minutes at least as long as the music made out something was about to happen. Source Code has that behind it. Along with a strong and charming turn from Gyllenhaal. Action told nonsensically with a Quantum Leap and Ghost influence somewhere involved. I enjoyed it. Duncan Jones, son-of-Bowie, the director, has made a couple of good films now, this and Moon. No harm in trying to seem clever in amongst the explosions and effects.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
LIMITLESS - Having seen the trailers and with it sounding like an original idea, I was looking forward to this. Big mistake.
Utter dross. Slow start to the film. Fast forward to the beginning of the end. Ultimately nothing happened. Not even an appearance of Robert de Niro could rescue this film and I'm amazed it has managed such a long run on the big screen.
I would have left early, had it not meant waking the person sleeping next to me. 3/10

Interesting (or not by the sounds of it!), I was very much looking forward to seeing this film, but won't bother now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wow, I've fallen behind on this...

Last saturday evening I saw

Source Code
Generally I liked it. I didn't really care for the relationship between Jake and Michelle, and I kinda expected a twist to the end of the film that didn't come, but overall it was a decent film. It managed to repeat the same 8 minutes of story without seeming repetitive and kept my interest.

On wednesday I had an Abbie Cornish double bill

Limitless
I've liked Bradley Cooper since being a fan of Alias, and always find him watchable, even in this, but the film itself was not very good, and there was a distinct lack of responsibility, and follow through on many aspects of the story, and the ending was a touch too convenient. (Abbie Cornish played BC's girlfriend)

I followed that with

Sucker Punch
The visuals were pretty good, and the setpieces were impressive, but empty because the story poorly executed and the characters were not particularly appealing or sympathetic, and the acting wasn't particularly good. I'm not too fond of any of the girls so even the ksimpy outfits held no appeal. (Abbie Cornish played one of the man girls)

This afternoon I had a BSG double bill

Red Riding Hood
This movie is very pretty. Brilliant vista and beautiful scenery, and the costumes are pretty good too, however the story is uninteresting (though not offensively bad) and the acting wasn't that great. (supporting role for Michael Hogan who played Col Saul Tigh in Battlestar Galactica)

Scream 4
This had a brilliant opening, then it got a bit flat, then it picked up and built to a pretty good finale. Creative, it kept me guessing and has generally of equal quality to the rest of the trilogy, while not as good as the first, as it lacks the freshness and relevance, it was still a very good effort that I enjoyed very much. (supporting role for Mary McDonnell who played President Laura Roslin on Battlestar Galactica)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I saw Scream 4 this morning, my cineworld pass burning a hole in my pocket, the listings of what they had on so purely terrible that membership is feeling embarrassing right now. I didn't mind it so much, this Scream 4, but it said something of struggling careers for all the actors and makers to return. If Craven was making any new statement with this one (he replicated the first three with his satirising-the-hand-that-feeds-me routine and countless posters and references to his own back-catalogue) it was about how much you can swear now in a 15-rated film. Still, it passed a couple of hours with only a few Meade's_Ball groans. Cox and Arquette have a little charm and cheek to them.

I'm thankful that the BFI tomorrow evening gives me the right to choose between The Last Picture Show and The Searchers. I reckon i'll bag the latter, but it's good to have options.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I believe the last picture show is airing on tv this week (though maybe on one of the sky movie channels)

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Saw a special 30th anniversary showing of Raiders of the Lost Ark at a sold out Duke of Yorks last night.

The movie still stands up well after all these years and it was amazing to see it on the big screen again.

The film's executive producer and Oscar winning set designer were also there and chatted in a Q+A on stage after. Fascinating stuff and a real example of proper movie making before the CGI revolutuon. These guys worked on the first three Indy movies and the Star Wars trilogy and were no too complimentary about recent sequels to either franchise.

Mrs Oscar and I got within touching distance of a Oscar statuette too.

Gotta love the Duke of Yorks.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Your Highness
I only saw the full trailer for this once, and got te sense it could either be brilliant, or terrible. The full trailer promised fantasy, magic, adventure, natalie portman's bum. The TV spots focused mainly on danny mcbridebeing an unwilling quester. In the end I'd say it was leaning towards terrible. It seeed to be based entirely around the gimmick of modern crude humour and drug references in a fantasy-based ye olde englande environment. I imagine if you like getting high and stoner comedies aout gettin high you might like it, but for me the gimmick got tired, quick. I thought Damian Lewis and Justin Theroux were ok, though.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Now who would have thought a Russian film with very little dialogue set in the Arctic Ocean would be interesting? Luckily, i hadn't read about it. It was a psychological thriller that kicks in directly in the second hour. Before that the tension just slyly builds. Two men reading signals in the arctic and sending reports back to the mainland. One of the men has been there forever and is somewhat brutish. The other, a young and attractive chap, is a student wriing an essay called How I Ended This Summer. Things end up not going perfectly and they grow in conflict. Actionwise, it's slow-paced, but the surroundings are encapsulating and unendably watchable. I bloody liked it. The formula they had captured that sense of silent war and what your landscape can do to you. The outside world was a muffled radio signal away often in the wrong frequency. How I Ended This Summer.

Oh, and yesterday i finally watched We Are What We Are. mexican cannibals anyone? You know it. A family of them unable to rid themselves of a taste they first had longer than they can remember. It's not like The Hills Have Eyes, but more to do with the deep familial stresses that erupt when the flesh-supplier perishes. It's murky and Mexico city remains unlit throughout, a city of shadows, of prostitutes, of uncaring police officers, of poverty, of desperation. There's a bit of blood, but not all that much. Another good film, even if the storyline went a bit skewiff further in. Had the rather pretty Paulina Gaitan from Sin Nombre in it too, who is now 19, may i add.
WAWWA2-300x169.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thor 3D
This didn't break the mould with originality, there is the same old "earning the right to be a hero" hook with a touch of sibling rivalry for the King's thrown added in. While it isn't something glaringly new it is decently told, and fits in well with the other avenger movies so far. I wouldn't bother with the 3D, though (I only did because of the times of showings). Not only is there nothing that takes adavantage of 3D, but it also makes the screen darker.

Fast Five aka Fast and Furious 5: Rio Heist
I don't think I'm guy-ish enough to really appreciate this franchise. I didn't find anything offensively bad, just nothin particularly interesting, except perhaps Gal Gadot:

266957-3538_gal_gadot_fast_and_furious_super.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports