Film 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
BRIGHTON ROCK - After really looking forward to this film from watching the trailer, that anticipation was tempered somewhat by the reviews I have read, on here amongst other places. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the acting, the story adapted to the sixties, and of course the setting. OK so a lot of it is Eastbourne, but if you want to see Brighton in the sixties... go to Eastbourne. Unless that is you are a Hollywood studio and want to CGI the whole thing. Not the sort of film I'd go back to see at the pictures, but definately one I'd get out on DVD in a few months time. 8/10
BTW - Odeon Screen 8 is my favourite screen in Brighton because its so small. Great place to watch this film yesterday and get out of the driving freezin rain.

p.s. this is the first and only positive review I have seen of Up in the Air, except the Argus review at the time.
Up in the air - 8 Great light feel good film, Clooney is excellent, I guess it's about how you need other people in your life to make it worthwhile...need to man up now, off to do something more manly grrr.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
True Grit - Odeon Screen 6, T Wells -8/10. Really enjoyed this movie. Not a fan of westerns, but this was only a western by location. Enjoyed Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon grew on me but I was mesmerised by Hailee Steinfeld. Not a pompous know it all - a little girl getting through with bravado. The retraint of her performance in the scene when one of the men is threatening to leave left me breathless - the faintest change in her face but we see the fear she has been masking. Stunning and worth going to watch this girl steal the show. Both Mrs TRHK and I thought it was more enjoyable and less hyoed that The King's Speech. Highly recommended.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yogi Bear - just don't - awful!!!

mega mind - good fun but not up to Despicable Me

oh and Kick Ass.... one of my favourite films of 2010.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Re: Last night's BAFTAs. The King's Speech is great and deservedly won a lot but it was DISGUSTING that Inception only won ONE of the televised awards. That film is SUPERB.

Super Gus!

Mar 3, 2010
BRIGHTON ROCK -

p.s. this is the first and only positive review I have seen of Up in the Air, except the Argus review at the time.

really? i loved Up In The Air, thought it was one of the best films of last year, clooney normally bores me but he was decent in this

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Paul
I liked this. It isn't as good as hot fuzz or shaun of the dead, but perhaps expectations were higher for this than for them. It seemed to take a while to get going, but when it did it was really good. I thought Jason Bateman did well as the sinister man in black, given he is usually the put upon good guy. The funnier bits tended to be references to other movies, but generally overall I'd say it got good enough to overcome the slow start to reach 'quite good' on the scale.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The excellence of iplayer just fed me the gut-tingling chiller Repulsion, by everybody's friend Roman Polanski. Some superb imagery and simple hand-constructed effects made for a terribly haunting tale of solitude in London and deep-seated sexual neuroses. Honestly nightmarish at times as the walls to home crack and time so audibly ticks without accompaniment. Cool stuff. And Catherine Deneuve does it really quite well.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Re: Last night's BAFTAs. The King's Speech is great and deservedly won a lot but it was DISGUSTING that Inception only won ONE of the televised awards. That film is SUPERB.

Game of opinions Mellotron, Kings Speech was excellent and deserves everything it gets, but Inception was self-indulgent toilet and a complete borefest (in my opinion)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Now, who doesn't love a documentary? I just had a couple of hours in with Matt Damon telling me the ins and outs of US financial institutions that playfully caused global bankruptcy in the recent past for their despicable gain: Inside Job. Sadly, the main potential interviewees who the fingers were pointed at, wouldn't agree to talk, but even without them the accusations seemed well-founded. It was all rather educational, but the facts made themselves into a story of intrigue and full of badguys and gals. I doubt strongly that those who might bother to watch who were the devils of the piece would blunt their claws and give some of their unearned wealth to the needy or back to those they stole from.
Not fun, but amusing at times and a deeply important topic.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Released in March, this look excellent from the trailer:

ts

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Biutiful

Just like director Inarritu's previous three films (Babel, 21 Grams and Amores Perros), it has very sad and sobering themes.

Set in industrial Barcelona and centered around Uxbal (played by the brilliant Javier Bardem, who in this film looks a bit like what Inigo Calderon might look like in ten years time!) a middle-man between Chinese sweatshops, African market sellers, Businessmen and the Police. He has custody of his children ahead of his unpredictable and eccentric bipolar ex-wife, though when he discovers he is teminally ill, he goes on a path of trying to help out as much as he can for the welfare of the poor sweatshop workers and most importantly, his two kids.

As the story unfolds, with a couple of shocking incidents in the process, Uxbal goes on a final journey learning about how to give his children a better life as a legacy.

Very good film - really hope it wins the Oscar it deserves next week. 8.3

bluestt

Feb 18, 2011
Up in the air is an awesome film. King's Speech massively overrated.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
True Grit - 8.7
Very, very good, very good acting from Bridges and the little girl, funny throughout.

Up In The Air and Crazy Heart - 7.5
Both entertaining,funny and sweet without being over the top. Both with very good leads (although Bridges is pretty similair to his True Grit role, maybe he's just a drunk old Southern boy now)

I've Loved You So Long- 8.1
Moving, slow French drama with Kristin Scott Thomas. The less you know the better (it's not gimmicky)

Anything For Her - 8.3
Original of The Next Three Days, Frecnh film where a husband tries to get his wife out of jail. Very exciting, slightly farfetched

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
The Taking of Pelham 123 - 5/10.
John Travolta as the bad guy didn't seem to work and the whole thing was just a bit boring.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Don't get to the cinema much due to kids - I have also said I will never take them to another CGI in my life or pay inflated prices for the current trend in 3D films (what is the point if the colours are all washed out and 3D adds little depth ?)

Will be looking forward to the final harry potter and warhorse - prefer to take them to live action films by the way if anybody has kids son of rambo is excellent.

I watch most films via love film now. A few to avoid catfish and dogtooth !

Looking forward to seeing social network and Biutiful. Has anybody seen of gods and men ? this film looks amazing really looking forward to it.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
US do you know anything about the Speilberg 'chocky' project is it going to be made ? - great book and liked the TV series as a kid.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I watch most films via love film now. A few to avoid catfish and dogtooth !

I watched dogtooth through lovefiolm a few weeks back. It was just weird. I can't understand why it's nominated for an oscar (albeit foreign language), but I've heard lots of good stuff about catfish. It's on my list.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Paul - My son chose this, and having seen the trailer it looked like it could be a reasonable choice. But I was wrong, it was excellent. There were any number of laugh out loud moments, too many to pick a favourite.
Unlike it seems everyone else, I haven't seen Hot Fuzz, and only half watched Shaun of the Dead without finding it that hilarious. But these two characters were excellent in this film. Can't give it full marks due only to some very weak supporting actors, but if you are a somewhat cynical old git (like me) put that aside and make sure you see this film 8.5/10

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Missing Arsenal's embarrassment this afternoon i cycled creakily and damply to the Barbican. The chairs there are humungous and very comfortable. What i saw was Animal Kingdom. Nearly two hours of a 17 year old lad unfortunately related to a rather ugly little collection of horrid criminals best known for their bank jobs. His mother dies silently of an overdose in the very first moment and the only ones who will take of him are these ghastly hoods seemingly and subtley led by his grandmother. It's a gripping tale of how J, the lad, will fit in or not to this merciless Melbourne bunch. The acting was top drawer and the dialogue sometimes comical despite the mood rarely lighthearted. All in all rather good.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
US do you know anything about the Speilberg 'chocky' project is it going to be made ? - great book and liked the TV series as a kid.

christ the TV programme scared the shit out of me as a kid! The film appears to be "on hold" from what I've googled about it.

edit: it was on hold in 2008....!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports