Film 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Now that is where the quality of filmmaking and acting makes such a difference with the King's Speech. I am a proud anti-monarchist, and can so rarely see myself at a loss like a royal might be, that empathy for their well-funded plight seemed impossible. The King's Speech, however, rendered an enormous sense of feeling from me. The difficulties that George VI had, from both his family and his general inability to communicate with anyone, had me reeling. I felt a lot for him and any happiness he had i cheered silently for. A very effective film, tying neat storytelling to a factlet or two of history, and tugging at our heartstrings with one man's troubled every day. Firth is excellent and i hope he gets rewarded.

This. Couldn't put this better myself (and to be fair, who can?).

A cleverly-crafted screenplay (imagine if Richard Curtis had got his hands on this, it would have been almost certainly abysmal and trite rubbish), with tremendous performances from the three main members of the cast. Really hope Colin Firth lands an Oscar for this. 8.8

And yes, some of the audience clapped at the end when I saw it last night too. Unless you're actually at the red carpet premiere of the film and cast and crew members are present, what's the bloody point? Do they applaud a great film on the TV or a DVD at home? :rant:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The King's Speech @ Brighton Marina.

This was one of the best films I have seen for a long time. The period setting was done brilliantly in a down to earth sort of way and the script was excellent. If Colin Firth doesn't get one of the very top awards for best actor for this performance, there is simply no justice. He was superb. Not just with the stammer, but his timing and the emotion he brought to the role. Brilliant!

If you forced me to find any negative, it would have been the audience reaction to the appearance of Churchill. Timothy Spall was excellent in Pierrepoint, but the audience still think he's Barry the Brummie electrician off Auf Wiedersehn Pet.

For once I felt like a younster at the film, and reckon I definately reduced the average age of the audience. So tell you Mum & Dad, this is a film they'll want to watch, and look out for Firth at the Oscars.

9/10 (minumum)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Expendables

A rather splendid action film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Splice

Weird but always intruiging. A decent effort.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As a postscript to the comments on The King's Speech (all of which I agree with), has Geoffrey Rush made a bad film? Excellent though Firth is, Rush gets the nod for me in terms of performance.

Also, and getting into politics here, the days of films like The King's Speech are now sadly numbered, thanks to the impending dissolution of the UK Film Council, and the Prime Minister's comment on films being made that people want to see - as though the two were not linked.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think Cameron was saying it should not beyond the wit of Man to make a decent film that could also make a profit instead of numerous costume drama's that make f*** all but have all the lovies salivating.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Stop being so naughty Al. You know that is not what he was saying and I am not going to bite.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Black Swan

Effin' brilliant, I thought. Really, really thick tangible atmosphere to this film. Portman plays paranoia perfectly.

9/10

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
In any case TKS has made over $ 100 000 000 at the Worldwide box office already.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Recently I have watched

Inception - It's pretty good yeah, I didn't shit myself over it though. 7/10
Crazy Heart - See above.

Bye then

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Chappers, if Inception doesn't make you go BRAINWRONG, what film would?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw The King's Speech last night.....I thought it was rather good.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
recently ive seen

unstoppable - gets good reviews but was pretty shit 5.8
the hole - meant to be a scary kids film - rubbish 5
127 hours - was disappointed with this - 6.2
true grit - very good (may be some oscars here) 8.2
buried - very good too 8.4
megamind - average 6
the fighter - pretty good 7.9
la horde - french 28 days later , pretty good 7.1
exam - english the apprentice type thriller / horror , not bad 7
the reef - deep water clone but better 6.5
red hill - about an aborigine who comes back for revenge - good 7

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Chappers, if Inception doesn't make you go BRAINWRONG, what film would?

At the time I was like 'woah' but I don't really get into all that shit too much. I don't actually think the film was as clever as it seems. Plus I don't think it was acted that well. And it was a bit rushed in the middle sector.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
At the time I was like 'woah' but I don't really get into all that shit too much. I don't actually think the film was as clever as it seems. Plus I don't think it was acted that well. And it was a bit rushed in the middle sector.

Really? I genuinely can't think of more than 1 or 2 films ever that are as clever. There is SO much to debate and ponder even after 2 or 3 viewings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports