Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Saw Gus Van Sant's 2003 'Columbine' pic Elephant last night, stunning cinematography, a couple of shots that are over five minutes continuous filming, great atmospheric flick and filmed with a cast of complete amateurs. Won Palm D'or 2003.
7/10.

In related news, does anyone know a better film website than IMDB? For what should, on face value, be a really good resource, it's a very bitty website without much pertinent information on it. I tend to use Amazon for film info and reviews these days.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

At last after so much dross this year, a decent family movie. Well animated, good voice acting, a fun and original plot and funny for kids and big kids like me. AND it was actually nice not to see it in 3-D.

8.0/10

The Passion of the Christ

I watch this again with a friend who had not seen it.

5 years after its release I now believe Gibson has produced a superb work of art. Sure the violence is brutal and unrelenting which is the point as JC is from this ordeal seen to be super human as no mere mortal would have survived.

You have to come into the film knowing the history of JC and what he did in his life before the last 24 hours as the film generally concentrates on the last day.

The cinematograhy and score are superb.

Certainly one to make you question your beliefs.

As an atheist it did, stunning film on TV, god knows what it was like on the big screen.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Awaydays - meh. It was alright. Didn't really ever get into it to be honest. The characters were too confused for my liking, the lead particularly, and the film never really explored their mind set properly.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Somerstown

Shane Meadow's follow-up to This Is England, paid for by St Pancreas International. Very sweet and funny story about an Polish and English boy's friendship in London and about the community generally.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In related news, does anyone know a better film website than IMDB? For what should, on face value, be a really good resource, it's a very bitty website without much pertinent information on it. I tend to use Amazon for film info and reviews these days.

I usually go to ROTTEN TOMATOES: Movies - New Movie Reviews and Previews!

The Boat That Rocked

A nostalgic flick based around the pirate radio phenomena of the 60's which the government attempted to stamp out. Its got Phillip Seymour Hoffman as one of the characters, playing a maverick US DJ, and he's good (probably my favourite actor at the moment). Bill Nihey also does a decent turn as an eccentric "captain" of the boat. But its overly long and there wern't as many laughs in it as I thought there'd be from the trailer. OK, but a bit disappointing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
American Gangster

Picked it up in HMV for a few quid. Very slick and engrossing but nothing really original here. Denzel Washingston playing Denzel Washington as usual and Crowe seems to be treading water a bit.

These faults aside, it does exactly what it promises so I will award this slightly underwhelming outing a solid 6.0

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
Saw Gus Van Sant's 2003 'Columbine' pic Elephant last night, stunning cinematography, a couple of shots that are over five minutes continuous filming, great atmospheric flick and filmed with a cast of complete amateurs. Won Palm D'or 2003.
7/10.

Welcome! - Rate Your Music

This website is brilliant for music and has now started adding films as well. Still in it's infancy, but will definitely grow into a great resource for film fans.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
DISTRICT 9 - I'm not the best person to review this film, not being a bif fan of sci-fi or blood and gore, but I've been looking forward to it judging from the reviews I've read.

Its tough to have to listen to those awful South Afrikan accent throughout, but if you like sci-fi this is worth a look. An unusual story idea and a strange documentary element to the filming. Also definately a film to see on a big screen so unless you have a 42" plasma get along before its taken off.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I usually go to ROTTEN TOMATOES: Movies - New Movie Reviews and Previews!

The Boat That Rocked

A nostalgic flick based around the pirate radio phenomena of the 60's which the government attempted to stamp out. Its got Phillip Seymour Hoffman as one of the characters, playing a maverick US DJ, and he's good (probably my favourite actor at the moment). Bill Nihey also does a decent turn as an eccentric "captain" of the boat. But its overly long and there wern't as many laughs in it as I thought there'd be from the trailer. OK, but a bit disappointing.

Clearly haven't been using Rotten Tomatoes enough then, as you decided to watch the above film! Waheeeeeeey. :lol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Pandorum
A fair sci-fi film in the sub genre of small group of survivors on a desolate space ship type. Decent performances for what it was, a little predictable, but decent overall.

The Invention of Lying
I really enjoyed Jennifer Garner's performance, but then I have a slight crush on her and have since Alias. Gervais was his typical self. Several cameos. Sweet, funny film. Decent, probably more of a sunday evening film.

Zombieland
I think I may have been getting movie fatigue, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I was expecting. Still fun, no shaun of the dead, but a decent film nonetheless.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Children of Men

I don't normally like Owen but he was good in this. The year is 2029 and all Women are infertile ( except one ) who Owen is sent to protect and help escape from the UK where all immigration is illegal and camps set up like Nazi Jewish Ghetto's. Its a very decent film with a dark and gritty style and washed out frames. It has good action and a good story and is to question the way the World is headed, is the infertility a judgement passed down by God for a race out of control ?, thats the way I read it but the one birth and tha name of the rescue Ship " tomorrow " aludes to the hope of a brighter future.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Michael Clayton

Very good corporate thriller, with an excellent cast-George Clooney, Hilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson. Bit like The Insider

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Children of Men

I don't normally like Owen but he was good in this. The year is 2029 and all Women are infertile ( except one ) who Owen is sent to protect and help escape from the UK where all immigration is illegal and camps set up like Nazi Jewish Ghetto's. Its a very decent film with a dark and gritty style and washed out frames. It has good action and a good story and is to question the way the World is headed, is the infertility a judgement passed down by God for a race out of control ?, thats the way I read it but the one birth and tha name of the rescue Ship " tomorrow " aludes to the hope of a brighter future.

I liked this too. Again, I normally find Clive Owen really wooden but he delivers a great performance in this. The scene where they are trying to get away from the farm house in the carthat won't start is done really well, Michael Caine is great too.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The Invention of Lying.

This is the worst movie I have ever seen at the cinema - EVER. AND this marked the first time I have ever left before the film finished.

Firstly, the whole concept doesn't work. These people can't lie but somehow because of this they are stupid to the point of believing Gervais is black when he tells them so or they just volunteer great monologues of self doubt to complete strangers who are merely passing.

Gervais wanders from one scene to the other and one bland moment to the next stumbling over this faulty concept that gets in the way of any chance of enjoyment as an audience. Too many cameos and each performance is stunted by the actors being made to look like retards rather than characters whose only difference is supposed to be that they can't lie. I lie only works in real life if there is at least a tiny element of doubt!!

I made it to his weepy moment with his mum which at least made an interesting, maybe accidental, insight into religion but then I couldn't take any more:

Having lost his mum Gervais and Garner fall asleep in the hospital waiting room. They both wake. Gervais looks at Garner "Hi". Garner looks at Gervais "Hi". There was not meant to be any humour in this scene but it was the only moment I laughed out loud. It was that tragically bad.

Mrs Oscar and I then got the hell out of there. DO NOT EVER SEE THIS CRAP unless you just want an example of just how a move can be made despite the script and concept being flawed on every single level.

1/10 and I actually don't know what the 1 was for.

Rant over :down:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Don't sit on the fence :laugh:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Did you see Ghost Town and if so what did you think as I really liked that.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Did you see Ghost Town and if so what did you think as I really liked that.

Loved Ghost Town. One of the best comedies of the year. Another silly concept of course but well executed meaning the jokes worked well around it. Gervais is a decent comedy actor but the key is there has to be comedy for him and the film to work.

The thing is I went in expecting it to be less-than-brilliant, having seen the reviews, but this went beyond them all. And when I say I walked out, it's a big deal. My dad used to be a projectionist and I have seen a LOT of movies at the cinema. Some that I wouldn't otherwise have been motivated to see had dad not been in the box.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Zombieland.

Really enjoyed this. Funniest film I've seen at flicks for a long time. Probably woody Harrelsons best role since Kingpin. Every joke hit the mark and full of great violence and gore.

Great to see a genuinley funny film without the gurning goon faces of will ferrell, Jack Black et al.

See it, believe it. Word.

A zombie smashing 8.0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here