Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
2 more cinema visits to add:

Role Models (6/10) - Predictable as they come but much funnier than I expected, with a nice turn from Christopher Mintz-Plasse (McLovin'!) and a hysterical performance from Jane Lynch (head of Sturdy Wings, if you've seen the film) - she is just amazing!

"You know what I used to have for breakfast? Cocaine! You know what I used to have for lunch? Cocaine!"

On a slightly more serious note, Defiance (7/10). An amazing story, and a case where a filmmaker would have to work quite hard to make a bad film. This is somewhat flawed, and often quite cliched, but it is still an entertaining and amazing watch.

This week is looking good, with The Wrestler, A Christmas Tale and Seven Pounds all possible watches.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So far this year at the cinema I've seen:

-The Spirit - fun, entertaining, great visuals, sam jackson on top sam jackson hammy form.
-Yes Man - saw right after the spirit, so it was a bit of a come down. Decent film though.
-Slumdog Millionaire - Not blown away, and think the whole 'film of the year' is over the top, but did thoroughy enjoy it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Wrestler: Go see, it is brilliant. Rourke for an Oscar?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I really want to see the wrestler, it's not on at the marina, so I will likely head up to crawley this week (I have a cineworld unlimited pass, so would rather not pay to see it at DoY).

I saw My Bloody Valentine 3D this weekend. I'd give it 6/10, but one of those is for the 3D and one is for Jensen Ackles (I like 'Supernatural'). The story is simple and predictable, the gore is plentiful and visceral. Not a great, but the experience in 3D makes it a fine 90mins.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really want to see the wrestler, it's not on at the marina, so I will likely head up to crawley this week (I have a cineworld unlimited pass, so would rather not pay to see it at DoY).

I saw My Bloody Valentine 3D this weekend. I'd give it 6/10, but one of those is for the 3D and one is for Jensen Ackles (I like 'Supernatural'). The story is simple and predictable, the gore is plentiful and visceral. Not a great, but the experience in 3D makes it a fine 90mins.

? Why not go to the Duke of Yorks? You might have a pass but it's only five quid or so. Saves on transport costs? On until Thursday.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Australia. What a waste of space and talent. Visually very pretty yes, and a nice 2 hour 45 minute advert for the Northern Territory tourist board... But the script was clunky and cringeworthy; the acting ham-fisted and wooden (yes, I know Baz Luhrmann was deliberately trying the make the film "they don't make 'em like any more", but at least the old films had a bit of charm and chemistry); it was in dire need of a decent edit; and some of the CGI was really ropey (I could have put more convincing warships in Darwin harbour using Etch-a-Sketch).

Come on Baz. I know you can do (and have done) a LOT better than that.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Me and the Missus went to see Bride Wars on Saturday. I'm not a chick flick person, but this was pretty good. Quite alot of funny moments, espically when she switches the tan lotion to orange. The hen night battle was good aswell, and the fight scene at their weddings was quite funny. 6.5/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
? Why not go to the Duke of Yorks? You might have a pass but it's only five quid or so. Saves on transport costs? On until Thursday.

I do like the duke of yorks, but if we go to crawley, we make a night of it, so it is a bit more fun.

Speaking of:

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Rhona Mitra isn't a great actress, so couldn't do with the material what Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy can do, which brought the film down a bit, and there were some bad lines, but generally it was ok. The idea of the film was good, and at the end they tied it into the first, which should stop any attempt to make a fourth. In theory.

Frost/Nixon
I was a little apprehensive, I was a little concerned it may be too political, and too dry or pretentious, but I shouldn't have worried. Typical Ron Howard tone, and my favourite film of the night. I may vote for Nixon... Frank Langella was great, it was a pretty unspectacular turn from Sam Rockwell, but he was playing a regular person, so could really go fun like he did in Galaxy Quest or Charlie's Angels. Oliver Platt was his wonderful self. Michael Sheen was odd, not sure if that's because I only every really knew old man David Frost, or if it was because I'd seen him an hour or so before as Lucian in Underworld...

The Wrestler
I did like it, very much, but it wasn't quite what I expected. I thought there would be more of his relationship with his daughter (which seemed more of a cameo than a story thread) and more of his relationship with Marisa Tomei, there was a bit more wrestling than I thought there was going to be.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Frost/Nixon - Like Acker79 in the post above, I was a bit dubious about how they could turn a political TV interview into a watchable drama, but I was also very impressed. Langella is superb as Nixon, and the last half hour in particular is riveting. 8.2.

Revolutionary Road - "American Beauty set in the 1950s", but with fewer laughs. Any teens going to see the Winslet/DiCaprio reunion on the strength of Titanic are in for a shock. Traumatic family drama that starts out bleak and just gets bleaker. 8.1

Oorlogswinter (War Winter) - I doubt many on here will get a chance to see this, but it's worth a look if you do. A Dutch WWII movie about a teenage boy who finds a downed RAF pilot in the woods near his home during the Nazi occupation, and helps him get back to safety. A bit like 'Allo 'Allo in other words, only without the jokes (apart from one very good one), or the naughty French barmaids. Or René. But with the funny accents. And snow. Lots of snow. 7.5

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
Frost/Nixon - Like Acker79 in the post above, I was a bit dubious about how they could turn a political TV interview into a watchable drama, but I was also very impressed. Langella is superb as Nixon, and the last half hour in particular is riveting. 8.2.

Revolutionary Road - "American Beauty set in the 1950s", but with fewer laughs. Any teens going to see the Winslet/DiCaprio reunion on the strength of Titanic are in for a shock. Traumatic family drama that starts out bleak and just gets bleaker. 8.1

Oorlogswinter (War Winter) - I doubt many on here will get a chance to see this, but it's worth a look if you do. A Dutch WWII movie about a teenage boy who finds a downed RAF pilot in the woods near his home during the Nazi occupation, and helps him get back to safety. A bit like 'Allo 'Allo in other words, only without the jokes (apart from one very good one), or the naughty French barmaids. Or René. But with the funny accents. And snow. Lots of snow. 7.5

I like films with snow in them.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Not normally a film person, last film i went to see was Titanic, (missus wanted to see it).

But happen to see a programme that was interviews with Tom Cruise and some other actors for the a new film called Valkyrie., was quite impressed from the trailers i saw that i might actually go and see it if its gets shown in Brighton, anyone seen it ? and is it any good.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Gran Torino, Clint Eastwood's new film about a cynical war vet. Not gonna say much more apart from WATCH IT. Even if Clint eastwood does look like voldemort from Harry Potter more and more these days.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But happen to see a programme that was interviews with Tom Cruise and some other actors for the a new film called Valkyrie., was quite impressed from the trailers i saw that i might actually go and see it if its gets shown in Brighton, anyone seen it ? and is it any good.

I saw it yesterday, and then watched 'the reader'.

Valkyrie
There were a lot of good performances, the film is well made, it just didn't draw me in. I was very m'eh with it. It isn't bad, I just didn't connect to any of it or make any emotional investment.

The Reader
This is one for serious film fans, so isn't likely to appeal to the general audience, but I really enjoyed it. I wasn't overly eager to see it, but after Kate Winslet's oscar nomination I decided to give it a go, and I ended up really enjoying it. Great performance and I can see why she got a nomination.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Valkyrie
There were a lot of good performances, the film is well made, it just didn't draw me in. I was very m'eh with it. It isn't bad, I just didn't connect to any of it or make any emotional investment.

Agree. It's very forgettable and uninvolving.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Milk
Good performances, authentic 70s feel, I was little annoyed that only James Franco decided not to play his gay character as a flamboyant gay. Otherwise a very good film.

Revolutionary Road
Not quite what I was expecting, I thought we'd follow Kate and Leo's relationship as it started, progressed and fell apart. But it was more about a couple who had reached a breaking point in their mundane cliche lives. Still it was very good. I preferred Kate's performance in 'The Reader' and I still don't get the appeal of Leo (as an actor, I've only ever liked his performance in 'what's eating gilbert grape?')

They both left me depressed in something of a funk, and leaving me feeling detached. IF you're going to watch both of these films, don't watch them in the same day...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bourne Ultimatum - decent but they clearly ran out of original ideas after the first two. 6.9

Donkey Punch - terribly acted, poor cinematography, not gory enough. 5.5

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here