[Music] Fifty years ago today

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
They built Clair Hall on our football pitch, bar stewards, as an aside saw Genesis support Lindisfarne, weird. Didn't even know I'd seen Genesis until I looked at the ticket stub some 30 years later!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
More nostalgia than anything else. That said, when I was 15, I was the singer in a little band based in Burgess Hill (we played the Clare Hall in HH once) that did covers, and this was one of the songs I (badly) belted out.
:lolol: :thumbsup:

I really liked CCR as well. When I was a kid (born 1953. so in the 1960s, I had their first four albums. I can still remember, in the kitchen of my dad's shop in Worthing, hearing Proud Mary for the first time on the radio - Saturday lunchtime on the Emperor Rosko show!

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Clair Hall, Rock'n'Roll. One up from the Martlets at Burgess Hill which I note has now been demolished. Saw Roger McGuinn (yes, that one) play a solo concert there. Perhaps another thread of big names at unlikely venues, for which I also put forward Hall and Oates at Crawley Leisure Centre?

Saw The Small Faces at The Downs Hotel, Hassocks when they were Number One in the charts.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They built Clair Hall on our football pitch, bar stewards, as an aside saw Genesis support Lindisfarne, weird. Didn't even know I'd seen Genesis until I looked at the ticket stub some 30 years later!
That tour visited Worthing too (1972?) - couldn't get in to see Genesis, it was packed out. Loads of people outside who also couldn't get in to see Genesis - We could easily have got into to see Lindisfarne, because half the audience left after Genesis, but nobody bothered!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
That tour visited Worthing too (1972?) - couldn't get in to see Genesis, it was packed out. Loads of people outside who also couldn't get in to see Genesis - We could easily have got into to see Lindisfarne, because half the audience left after Genesis, but nobody bothered!

Still love Lindisfarne, I think I can remember someone with a funny hat, must have been Genesis ??? Peter Brophy don't care....

el punal

Got a feeling that was November 1971 - I would imagine it was the same tour as I saw Lindisfarne at the Dome (Brighton) then.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Got a feeling that was November 1971 - I would imagine it was the same tour as I saw Lindisfarne at the Dome (Brighton) then.

Not sure - I 'discovered' Genesis when I bought Nursery Cryme on spec - that was released in November '71, and I think I'd had the album for a while before finding that they were supporting Lindisfarne in Worthing on an occasion when I popped home to visit my parents.
Still, it was 50 years ago (well, nearly) so........................!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports