Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FIFA threatening womens WC TV Blackout

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The issue here isn't with UK broadcasters.

Based on their extensive domestic coverage of WSL and Women's FA Cup, the BBC will be more than eager to pay.

It's more aimed at broadcasters in other European nations. But is there really the same interest for coverage as in England?

Take the example of Spain who came within 6 minutes of knocking England out of the Euros.

Barcelona Women are a top side. Champions League winners in 2021, finalists in 2022, and in the final this year.

The top 2 attendances last week in the WSL-equivalent Primera División Femenino were 2,196 and 1,654.

The other 5 games attracted attendances in the hundreds, the lowest being 200.

The previous week, there was only one attendance (4,850) in the thousands. All the other 6 were below 1,000.

As for Euro Runners-Up Germany, it's an average of 2,719 per match this season (which includes an outlier 38,365).

France? A month ago, the highest attendance was 863 in that weekend's top-flight domestic fixtures, the lowest just 139.

Most broadcasters will be looking at the base interest level of domestic attendances and bid accordingly, as they'd do with commissioning any other programme based on viewing interest level.

And since the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, I don't think any of us need to take any lessons from FIFA and Infantino about 'moral and legal obligations'.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
For once I think Infantino has a point. The figures for the Women's World Cup do seem derisory given the growing popularity of the Women's game at the top level.
if you think Infantio has a point, chances are you've probably misunderstood something. he wants more money. womens football tourenment isnt giving him the payday he wants, so he'll threaten them with nothing. which of course will do nothing to help women's football.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Does Infantino seriously believe he can blackmail commercial TV companies into paying more than they decide is worth it? Maybe he hopes the BBC and others can be coerced into upping the ante. Good luck with that mate. He’s upped the prize money and now he is scrabbling around trying to pay for it!
Nations and FIFA have also made a ridiculous claim to either make or in some cases have already given in to equal pay with no real plan on how to do it.

The normal fall back argument is "make the mens team pay for it"

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Realistically, what they are selling to Europe that has some value is highlight rights.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Fine, blackout the tournament in the UK and other major European countries, that will certainly promote the Womens game and encourage more investment and interest in the game.

It was FIFA's decision to unbundle the TV rights, no doubt on the assumption that they could get more revenue. They are now getting a reality check and someone at FIFA has got their budget forecast wrong.

Who in Europe other than insomniacs are going to tune in for live coverage during the night or when at work in the morning.
Most people will watch an England semi or final, apart from that few will bother, especially at unsociable hours

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Most people will watch an England semi or final, apart from that few will bother, especially at unsociable hours
Fixtures and kick off times (UK) at the end of the article.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
As others have pointed out the live attendances and interest in women's football is minimal. Regardless of the artificial promotion of women's football the reality is, no one's particularly buying it. Hence the bids for TV rights.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Other than the Lionesses (who I have a feeling may not do so well, given the injuries), personally I really don’t have much interest. I don’t blame the TV companies.

If FIFA really want to promote the game then they need to be realistic, and perhaps invest themselves by accepting reduced offers.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
As others have pointed out the live attendances and interest in women's football is minimal. Regardless of the artificial promotion of women's football the reality is, no one's particularly buying it. Hence the bids for TV rights.
Basically woman’s football is shite.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But what the tv companies have offered isn’t commensurate with the women’s viewing figures compared to the men’s. Therefore, another way to look at this is the tv companies are trying it on?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But what the tv companies have offered isn’t commensurate with the women’s viewing figures compared to the men’s. Therefore, another way to look at this is the tv companies are trying it on?
I would imagine the men's TV money would also take a hit in Europe if the WC were held in Australia?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would imagine the men's TV money would also take a hit in Europe if the WC were held in Australia?
Possibly. Although if your reasoning is due to the time zone this hasn’t affected other tournaments. And whilst some continents will lose out, some will gain.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Possibly. Although if your reasoning is due to the time zone this hasn’t affected other tournaments. And whilst some continents will lose out, some will gain.
True, but I imagine that the time zone thing would impact the women's competition far more as the demographic is different. Women, even in this enlightened time, if they're young, tend to be more involved in caring for children etc. Can't see huge amounts getting up at 1 am to watch England let alone many of the 'lesser' countries, can you?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’m sure the corporate sponsors are delighted some of their biggest potential markets could be frozen out

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
True, but I imagine that the time zone thing would impact the women's competition far more as the demographic is different. Women, even in this enlightened time, if they're young, tend to be more involved in caring for children etc. Can't see huge amounts getting up at 1 am to watch England let alone many of the 'lesser' countries, can you?
According to an earlier post there were over 1bn viewers for the last Women’s WC. I will be interested to know which countries these come from.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Infantino decided that this Women's World Cup should be expanded by 50% from 16 teams to 24.

In the 2019 tournament, we had USA 13 Thailand 0. Thailand were ranked FIFA ranked #29 at the time of the draw.

It would be reasonable to expect more mismatches in this tournament with 8 teams making their debut.

Current FIFA rankings:
#21 Portugal
#22 Republic of Ireland
#33 Vietnam
#49 Philippines
#52 Panama
#53 Haiti
#73 Morocco
#77 Zambia

I'd be surprised if any of the following fixtures don't result in double figure scorelines.
22 July England v Haiti; USA v Vietnam
24 July Germany v Morocco
26 July Spain v Zambia
02 Aug France v Panama

Away from a desire to grow the game, do one-sided uncompetitive fixtures make for great TV and viewing figures?

Rather than targeting European broadcasters who clearly have a much better appreciation of the value of the product being offered, perhaps Infantino and FIFA would be better off focusing on the broadcasters of those countries that have qualified for the first time. One might expect that there would be a heightened level of interest there.

So why isn't he doing so? Any guesses?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
The viewing figures may be deceptive in terms of commercial benefit. So lets say the TV audience for a men's game is 100 and for a women's game it is also 100. Commercially both worth the same? Probably not if the men's game is viewed by 100 men aged 30 -60 with considerable disposable income and the women's game is viewed by 100 girls/women aged 10 -20 with minimal disposable income.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
The product needs to be good enough, it isn't yet. I do enjoy watching the WSL when Brighton are involved, but female 'keepers and officials are so woeful that it makes the sport nearly unwatchable. I don't blame the TV companies, the product needs to improve.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Infantino decided that this Women's World Cup should be expanded by 50% from 16 teams to 24.

In the 2019 tournament, we had USA 13 Thailand 0. Thailand were ranked FIFA ranked #29 at the time of the draw.

It would be reasonable to expect more mismatches in this tournament with 8 teams making their debut.

Current FIFA rankings:
#21 Portugal
#22 Republic of Ireland
#33 Vietnam
#49 Philippines
#52 Panama
#53 Haiti
#73 Morocco
#77 Zambia

I'd be surprised if any of the following fixtures don't result in double figure scorelines.
22 July England v Haiti; USA v Vietnam
24 July Germany v Morocco
26 July Spain v Zambia
02 Aug France v Panama

Away from a desire to grow the game, do one-sided uncompetitive fixtures make for great TV and viewing figures?

Rather than targeting European broadcasters who clearly have a much better appreciation of the value of the product being offered, perhaps Infantino and FIFA would be better off focusing on the broadcasters of those countries that have qualified for the first time. One might expect that there would be a heightened level of interest there.

So why isn't he doing so? Any guesses?
The one sided, uncompetitive fixture I saw last Saturday was certainly enjoyable :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here