Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIFA and the Qatari corruption 'scandal'.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
With widespread protests set to disrupt the WC in Brazil and Russia's antics in Ukraine casting doubt on the 2018 tournament which is likely to lead to some nations boycotting it I really hope we might see FIFA start to crumble and reach a tipping point causing it to collapse in a dirty corrupt mess with all it's weasely back stabbing tosspot members falling over themselves to stitch each other up.
Spot on.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
They need to expose Russia being awarded the 2018 tournament as well - also as bent as... England's bid was superior in every respect. I wonder how the Russian billionaire oligarchs rewarded the FIFA members?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Obviously great news that the bunch of corrupt tossers are being investigated by the FBI, but should there be a clean sweep, who replaces them, and what are the guarantees that we won't end up with more corrupt tossers!? Unfortunately, this is culturally the way of doing business still in many regions of the world.

I'm not sure what the answer is but obviously getting rid of this lot is a step in the right direction. There will be a void for a while though and not sure who steps into that.

I guess it will take a while for this investigation to conclude, bring forward charges, let alone reach court - especially if it is brought under Swiss jurisdiction where Blatter has created all sorts of legal smokescreens. So it won't go away just yet.

I imagine Platini might fancy his chances of becoming Blatter's eventual successor but also wonder if some of the corruption muck might be flung in his direction too. There are already claims that he has been unhealthily close to Qatari influences, so it will be interesting to see if he is regarded as clean enough to lead FIFA - or will it be just more of the same?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
They need to expose Russia being awarded the 2018 tournament as well - also as bent as... England's bid was superior in every respect. I wonder how the Russian billionaire oligarchs rewarded the FIFA members?

It is going to stick in the craw for some time that we lost that World Cup due to Blatter's pre-vote speech to the ExCo, when he told them to beware the English media. That is it. But for that (and okay, maybe a few billion in back pockets) we'd have it here in 2018.

Basically, we should be proud of the fact that we are almost the only country in the world that was prepared to stand up and try and deservedly expose these people as the corrupt scumbags they are.

They knew the Russians could keep the media in their back pocket, let's face it they have plenty of experience of that.

It is at times like this that I despair of the battering journalists routinely get in this country. People should go and live in China, Russia, Saudi Arabia or Turkey for a bit and see how craven many of the media outlets there are.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I guess it will take a while for this investigation to conclude, bring forward charges, let alone reach court - especially if it is brought under Swiss jurisdiction where Blatter has created all sorts of legal smokescreens. So it won't go away just yet.

I imagine Platini might fancy his chances of becoming Blatter's eventual successor but also wonder if some of the corruption muck might be flung in his direction too. There are already claims that he has been unhealthily close to Qatari influences, so it will be interesting to see if he is regarded as clean enough to lead FIFA - or will it be just more of the same?

Well this is my point - I would say that anyone who has or is currently sitting on the FIFA board from the time of those WC votes, is guilty by association and there should be a clean sweep of the whole lot of them for not standing up to Blatter and their other corrupt colleagues.

I'm sure that's not going to happen. But if that did happen then I assume the major footballing nations would have to form a new organisation and FIFA as we know it would be disvolved. Revolution comrades!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It is going to stick in the craw for some time that we lost that World Cup due to Blatter's pre-vote speech to the ExCo, when he told them to beware the English media. That is it. But for that (and okay, maybe a few billion in back pockets) we'd have it here in 2018.

I do think it's ridiculous that England has only ever hosted two major tournaments (France, by comparison, has hosted four) and I wonder if we'll ever get the World Cup again. If you think we have the best supported leagues in the world, the best club football stadiums in the world and a fantastic national stadium - not to mention 'home of football' and the history of the game here, it really is criminal that we haven't hosted it since the 60s. I bet nearly every game, including all the group matches, would be sold out, I don't think you could really say the same about anywhere else. The fact they gave it to an essentially corrupt state (and one that is willing to flout international law) - not to mention the endemic racism and homophobia - says it all really.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why does every nation not just announce a boycott of the competition? It is an absolute, total and utter farce.
Because most of the world accept that bribery is a fundamental part of business. To boycott it because it's corrupt would seem like a joke to most countries. It's very sad, and I wish something could be done about it.

malleus24

Jul 27, 2013
I do think it's ridiculous that England has only ever hosted two major tournaments (France, by comparison, has hosted four) and I wonder if we'll ever get the World Cup again. If you think we have the best supported leagues in the world, the best club football stadiums in the world and a fantastic national stadium - not to mention 'home of football' and the history of the game here, it really is criminal that we haven't hosted it since the 60s. I bet nearly every game, including all the group matches, would be sold out, I don't think you could really say the same about anywhere else. The fact they gave it to an essentially corrupt state (and one that is willing to flout international law) - not to mention the endemic racism and homophobia - says it all really.

Also I imagine the lives of quite a few Nepalese migrant workers would have been saved if England had gotten it, rather than Qatar. Still can't believe the lack of response from FIFA about this, that alone should be enough to convince everyone that the people at the top are just corrupt as hell. Tickets to those stadiums are coated in blood

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The 2022 WC could have been in Australia. The awarding to Qatar is possible the worst decision in modern sporting history.

That said International football is in decline, last couple of WC's have been poor spectacles...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here