Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFs Barnes

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
BBC Sport - Brighton 3-0 Ipswich
Gus' interview ~2.07.
"We were for a little moment thinking about changing him". Must have been having a blinding game, being first in line to be subbed an all.

That wasn't my point, he wasn't having a brilliant game up until the two goals I admit (although as others have pointed out he provided cover for Mattock at LB). But seeing as we have plenty of other options, Gus still picks him for the starting 11 nearly every week which shows he thinks he is good enough. Gus- a professional footballer manager. What are your footballing credentials, out of interest?

Dec 29, 2011
Perhaps other players do it far less frequently than Mr Barnes. There was a passage of play yesterday in the second half before he scored where he cocked up 5 TIMES in less than 5 minutes, whether it be a mis-placed pass, lack of control or one instance when he fell over his own feet. 2 goals (first one well taken) have blinded some people on here to his performance yesterday. 3 headers away from corners do not warrant a place in the team, he had a shocker yesterday despite the goals

And anyone who says 'Gus is in charge, blah blah, blah' is missing the point. People are allowed to have differing opinions to the manager and it was no surprise from where I was stading in the North that so many people were on his back because the team were carrying him yesterday and he was poor.

You said what I wanted to say in one post and were a lot more concise. Good job.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
BBC Sport - Brighton 3-0 Ipswich
Gus' interview ~2.07.
"We were for a little moment thinking about changing him". Must have been having a blinding game, being first in line to be subbed an all.

Because he thought abut changing him for a little moment? You don't think they also had a little think about changing someone else? A little think about all their options for changing the game? That perhaps he needed to be changed because of the changes Ipswich had made meaning Gus felt we might need to change to compensate for that rather than because he was awful, and that after a little while Barnes adapted to the different approach from Ipswich so Gus changed his mind?

If he was having such a bad game, wouldn't he have been taken off despite his goal? CMS scored, and he was taken off, so why not Barnes? It's because it wasn't such a bad performance.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
This is my first post . . but it needs to be said.
Yes Barnes hasnt got the most flair and may misplace the odd pass. However, his work rate, team play and positioning has been useful. He provides the link between midfield and attackers. Plus, we own barnes. Whats the point relying on Razak or Assulin when there going back to man city in a month or so. Players like Barnes are the future and should be given game time.
Personally, i've been feeling much happier that Calderon hasn't been playing as much. He's a good passer and fairly decent when bombing forward, but rarely see him make a well time challenge or a good interception. Reminds me of Gareth Roberts for Derby.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
barnes had a fantastic first half, quite dodgy second half and then the two goals, all in all he had a good game. In the first half there was one passage of play where we lost possession high up the pitch and they countered, he sprinted back and doubled up on their player, blocked it out for a corner, then headed away the corner in the six yard box and then headed clear again as the ball came back in from their full back. But of course, because he overhit a through-ball to cms and dallied on it and got dispossessed, he was shit.

Sometimes i'm really f***ed off with albion fans, today was one of those days, listening to the abuse he was getting. He had a good game. He's our top scorer. Shut the f*** up.

this.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This is my first post . . but it needs to be said.
Yes Barnes hasnt got the most flair and may misplace the odd pass. However, his work rate, team play and positioning has been useful. He provides the link between midfield and attackers. Plus, we own barnes. Whats the point relying on Razak or Assulin when there going back to man city in a month or so. Players like Barnes are the future and should be given game time.
Personally, i've been feeling much happier that Calderon hasn't been playing as much. He's a good passer and fairly decent when bombing forward, but rarely see him make a well time challenge or a good interception. Reminds me of Gareth Roberts for Derby.
Great post. I also agree re Calderon, he's good at getting forward but when he is in the team you notice a gaping whole which the opposition exploit especially on the counter, he also backs off too much for my liking but that's a discussion for a different thread!

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Sure his touch and movement does look a bit off at times and complains too much to the ref but he's top scorer and so long as he keeps scoring, he's doing the business.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nice singling out there. Loads of people thought the same so there you go.
I know you aren't alone, I just don't think negative comments shouts from the crowd help at all. It's like when Gus first arrived, and everyone was shouting 'get it forward', so some of the players gave in to the pressure from the crowd, which buggered up our tactics, pissed off Gus, and led to the player being reprimanded etc.

I'm a great believer that you get the best manager you can, and you let them manage. Seriously, if the crowd know better than the manager, you've got the wrong manager.

Mackerboy

Sep 20, 2011
At the end of the day a player should not get booed
By his own fans. Players make mistakes especially young ones
Learning the game and are knackered as they Gav been running
There heart out. Imagine how you would feel if you were trying your hardest
And your own fans were giving you grief. Great support !!
So bored of this hate campaign now it's pathetic.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
too much time on my hands
ashmarmite-1.jpg

Mackerboy

Sep 20, 2011
Haha brilliant would love to know how to do that. Love him or hate him lets move on now. Great work made me laugh out loud ;)

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
At the end of the day a player should not get booed
By his own fans. Players make mistakes especially young ones
Learning the game and are knackered as they Gav been running
There heart out. Imagine how you would feel if you were trying your hardest
And your own fans were giving you grief. Great support !!
So bored of this hate campaign now it's pathetic.
this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here