FFs Barnes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
This is what i said after Hull on Weds - and it is still true now...

Do you guys who like knocking Barnes every single week not think that actually he has a specific job to do, and there isn't another player in the squad who could actually do that job to the same standard? (Poyet even said exactly that in the post match interview tonight)

He is the Bridcutt equivalent further up the pitch, Gus picks him because he makes the whole make up of the side more solid, links up play between midfield and attack, defends from the front (and in his own penalty area quite a lot) and can also score goals... he is a major reason why we don't concede many goals.

I don't believe anyone sees him scoring 2 goals on the BBC site and thinks he had a good game, what I believe is that the people who appreciate everything he does, defensively and offensively see why he is so important to our side...
:clap::clap::clap:

D

Deleted member 18477

anyone that thinks barnes was poor today was clearly watching a dfferent game!

he held the ball up, linked the play well, won fouls when his back was to goal, scored 2 with lovely finishes for both... not sure what else he was meant to do. oh maybe because he didnt sprint past their right back on every occasion like buckley does on the other wing...

im the first to say if barnes had a poor game but today he certainly did not! well done barnsey! over the last month hes worked very hard and deserved them goals today!

CMS, buckley, navarro, bridcutt, el abd, mattock and obviously Razak were also very good today. we won 3-0 FFS so the players must have done something right. Ipswich were poor not barnes!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spoke to a number of fans who attended today, the general view was that although he took his two goals very well his general play was poor and it was expected he would be subbed. He is finding the Championship a bit above him and with the class of players coming in he is likely to on the bench.
In this league you only get a limited number of opportunities and you have to make the most of them

And he did. Enough said.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
So when Barnes is our top scorer at the end of the season (which is extremely likely), people will say he had a shit year?

Give me strength, he was quality today.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He was VERY good first half, at doing the things GUS WANTED HIM TO DO. He had a dodgy spell early on second half. No idea what game people who said he was poor first half were watching.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
There are positives and negatives to any player and with Barnes today he seemed to be at both extremes. The positives the expert goals bagged and his willingness to defend and most importantly for me to be in the right place at the right time when a cross comes over. He has that magical knack about him. The negatives today were him seeming to linger on the ball and be robbed, quite often not seeming to know what to do and being on a different wavelength to the rest of the team and their sweet touches. And there were a couple of chances nearer the end in which i thought he should have scored.
I'll never scream out telling him what to do though, and i was most glad that he scored after the bellend behind me had made some arsey comment about selling him back to Plymouth. A dance and an in-your-face anthem were carried out toward the opinionator and his endless drivelling.
The lad battled and scored and as much as i might sometimes be flustered with him, he comes up with the goods and i like to think the team needs him.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Spoke to a number of fans who attended today, the general view was that although he took his two goals very well his general play was poor and it was expected he would be subbed. He is finding the Championship a bit above him and with the class of players coming in he is likely to on the bench.
In this league you only get a limited number of opportunities and you have to make the most of them

Spoke to a number of fans today who thought the opposite

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Love it. Get him off! (mendozas mate here) tho after the game speaking to WSL chaps they are all of the same opinion. Even one said well those goals mean he will play next week. And that wasnt complimentary.

The answer is : he plays UPFRONT or not at all. Not as a quasi left sided midfielder but UPFRONT.

Own Goals Galore

Sep 28, 2011
Personally I thought he was good today, in fact best I have seen from him this season. Took the goals well, got about a bit, defended, won free kicks, supported CMS well. To be honest I didn't think I would see a thread critising anyone today.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Couldnt disagree more with people saying he was poor. First half there was a time when he was back in his own box heading 3 successive crosses away. Next minute he was upfront setting up a chance for CMS. He always offered an out ball for the midfielders and for me was a contender (like so many others) for man of the match

This, it's funny what some people see and overs don't

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No not thread closed. Your acting like someone who just looks at BBC website and says 'oh barnes scored two goals, must be an ok player'. The fact is the first 65 minutes it was like we were playing with ten men and after his goal he only improved slightly. As for the guy saying "fishing", it's not fishing, it's an opinion that has lots of foundation.

You have a mental fixation, let go........

Sent from Pippa Middleton's lingerie drawer.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I love it that when he scores two goals the emphasis turns to "how easily he goes down". This is largely (as far as I can see) from people who were worried that we would miss Murray's ability to "buy" cheap free kicks. Of course Murray also did an excellent job in defence.................. oh sorry, so does Barnes! In fact his main strength this season has been covering a sometimes fragile defence. Oh well then, Murray was our top scorer . Oh............................

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Apart from the two goals, Barnes was poor.

Agree with that, Apart from the goals and a couple of defensive clearances every time he got the ball he either got tackled, put it out of play or misplaced his pass. I'm not one for slagging off players but he did my head in today.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Ashley Barnes cost £80k. He has scored 35 goals in 71 starts (23 sub appearances).

His spell with us has coincided with a strong finish to the 09/10 season. A championship winning season in 10/11 and a whisker away from the playoffs to the top flight (as of yet). He is obviously doing something right for a player that played only 48 games over a period of three years before he joined us.

Perhaps we would have a foot in the Premier League by now, if he hadn't been playing for us?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agree with that, Apart from the goals and a couple of defensive clearances every time he got the ball he either got tackled, put it out of play or misplaced his pass. I'm not one for slagging off players but he did my head in today.

Did yur head in? Lol bit like the bods who com on here week after week going on about Barnes...give it a rest

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Personally I thought he was good today, in fact best I have seen from him this season. Took the goals well, got about a bit, defended, won free kicks, supported CMS well. To be honest I didn't think I would see a thread critising anyone today.

Me too, thought he did really well, caused them a lot of problems. NSC never ceases to amaze me!

He Shot He Scored

Jan 25, 2010
Barnes had a good game today, based on two goals and a really good defensive performance. He isn't the quickest, and he had the chance to play CMS in with a ball behind the defender which he overhit. Mr Meola above was nearly over the barrier when Ash did that! He's young, and doing the job asked of him, and that's good enough for me. and clearly good enough for Gus!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports