Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I just don't see the point of FFP. Is it really saving clubs from going bust? It's overkill. Let clubs spend what they want and reap the consequences, good or bad. They're not fan owned by enlarge, they're businesses. If they are fan owned they will inevitably be more cautious with less access to funds.

If clubs want to pump in investment, or take a risk to try to buy some success, good luck to them. The only thing I can really see it does is block competition and cement the big clubs in place at the top, as if a club can only spend an amount based on their income, this favours those with the biggest incomes and makes it more difficult for other clubs to catch up.

The FFP rules weren't imposed on Championship clubs; they were voted for by an overwhelming majority of chairman - 21/24 I believe. They obviously seemed to think that there was a point to the restrictions.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
I don't see the point of parachute payments either. They also help block competition and keep the bigger clubs at the top. Clubs should prepare for the possibility of relegation and deal with it if it happens. £200 million for one season in the prem is ridiculous- the parachute payment for one season is more than the Albions total income. Absolute farce.

Comes down to player power. If every player had a relegation clause on their outstanding contract bringing their salary down then no need for parachute payments. Needs all chairmen to agree this as mandatory, and simultaneously implement and issue would disappear. Unfortunately players would all go overseas unless it was FIFA stipulated across the board and the chance of Blatter doing anything useful is less than zero.....

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
The FFP rules weren't imposed on Championship clubs; they were voted for by an overwhelming majority of chairman - 21/24 I believe. They obviously seemed to think that there was a point to the restrictions.

One of the arguments is that that vote for FFP was a couple of years back now, and since then we've seen a change in teams, so owners who have been relegated from the Premier League for instance are arguing they never voted for FFP.

Speaking to people high up in the FA, they think whilst the Football League is capable of punishing the clubs for breaking FFP, they're concerned that the Premier League and Football League have still not come to an agreement on FFP, which is an issue because clubs submit financial accounts after the next season is started. Technically, a club promoted to the Premier League is no longer a member of the Football League for the period they're in the PL (which then gives issues of what happens when teams are relegated)...It's a slightly confusing relationship between FA/Premier League/Football League that has to be managed carefully.

Whilst a lot of people (myself included) would just love clubs to adhere to FFP and punishments be correctly handed out, sadly it's just not that simple (even if you believe it should be that simple.)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Why should big clubs be brought down to the level of smaller clubs just because they generate more income?

Should Mansfield have the same spending power as Leeds or should Crawley have the same spending power as us by artificially stopping the bigger clubs from spending what they generate for themselves or by allowing the smaller clubs to spend as much as the bigger clubs earn.
Ng
Life is
not a level playing field and FFP is not about trying to make it one, it's about trying to get clubs to be responsible with their spending and trying to stay within their limits. It should never be about making all clubs equal.

Lets just hope in 10 years time clubs like Mansfield still exist ,
the way its going the very rules set out to aid lesser funded clubs will be the very death of them , i may well be talking out my arse but i do not like the way football is going at the moment and FFP as it is will not stop that direction imo .

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No they couldn't. Accounts for last season (up to end of June) will be being submitted on December 1st. Any fine, embargo or points deduction will always have to be applied to following season
Why can't the onus be on the clubs to PROVE they have complied with FFP on the 1st of May, or even within 1 month of the January window closing.

No provision of proof of passing FFP would mean automatic FAIL ???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This may sound like im going round in a circle here but yes you are correct and those are the current rules , what i am saying is a fine is not enough , the basic rules of FFP are wrong and will always favour bigger clubs or clubs willing to cheat the rules , if the automatic points deduction rule had been in place at the very start of FFP regulation this would have been more of a detterant than a possible transfer embargo or soppy fine , i understand the need to produce accounts and then they are acted upon the following season but if the FA are serious in what they are trying to do then they need to re think it , simplify it and act upon it .
FA? What's it got to do with them?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Teams who stick a finger upto FFP and go on to get promoted should,on their inevitable return to the FL get relegated to league 2.

Funny you should say that actually, news regarding QPR and their, shall we say, love for FFP here. They wont even be allowed in League 2, but banned from all Football League competition, which is the Football League, League Cup and the FL Trophy. Relegation for them this season could kill them.

Considering the amount of money they stand to lose is that was to happen, they may want to cough up.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/a...-40m-for-breaching-financial-fair-play-rules/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...mpetitions-over-Financial-Fair-Play-fine.html

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
“My view has been consistent, that it is very unfair for a club that has been relegated as the wage difference between the Premier League and Championship is impossible. There should be a time period for clubs to rectify their salaries."

Or, ensure wage drop clauses are in your contracts. Even better, don't pay over the odds for mercenaries.

Funny you should say that actually, news regarding QPR and their, shall we say, love for FFP here. They wont even be allowed in League 2, but banned from all Football League competition, which is the Football League, League Cup and the FL Trophy. Relegation for them this season could kill them.

Considering the amount of money they stand to lose is that was to happen, they may want to cough up.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/a...-40m-for-breaching-financial-fair-play-rules/

That's what should happen,but will it?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

Queens Park Rangers could be thrown out of professional football if they refuse to pay their multi-million pound Financial Fair Play fine, the chief executive of the Football League warned on Tuesday.
Shaun Harvey revealed that the league could deny Rangers permission to play in its competitions in the event the club carried out their threat to contest their punishment – expected to be up to £50m – for breaching its FFP regulations.
That would mean QPR being cast into the footballing wilderness if they were ever relegated from the Premier League.
Even if they avoided that doomsday scenario, the league could also kick them out of the League Cup from next season.
Discussing the prospect of denying Rangers entry to Football League competitions, Harvey said: “I would hope there would be resolution long before that option even had to be considered.

“The one thing for certain is that most clubs [in the Premier League] will become a Football League club again.
“Now QPR will, of course, be hoping it does not happen for some considerable number of seasons. But the chances they will need to return to the Football League fold at some point in the future.”
QPR’s chairman, Tony Fernandes, declared during their Championship play-off triumph last season that he would “fight” any attempt by the Football League to fine his club over the losses they incurred during the campaign.
Rangers racked up record losses of £65.4m during 2012-13 and last season’s figures are also expected to make grim reading following their relegation and loss of Premier League television income.
The club must submit those accounts to the Football League by December, with any sanction to follow early next year if they have exceeded an £8m limit.

Harvey was confident any potential row with QPR would be resolved by the Football Association, rather than through litigation.
Speaking at the Soccerex Global Convention, he said: “Football has a number of processes to try to keep its debates out of court and inside a tribunal system or arbitration system under the FA’s guise.
“Ultimately, I believe the FA would have a part to play in terms of determining the outcome between a club and a league in which they are not currently playing.”
Harvey also warned that the punishments for FFP breaches by Championship clubs were non-negotiable, unlike those Uefa imposed on Manchester City last season.
“Unless the 24 clubs vote to change the rules, the rules as they are now will stay in place,” he said.
“I don’t suspect there is any form of rule change that would be considered or brought forward that would see the current circumstances we potentially face changing.”
Charlton Athletic’s chief executive Katrien Meire, said: “It’s going to be a legal battle which nobody is looking for.
“The Premier League, together with the Football League, should enforce this. Everything at Uefa level was enforced so if this will fail in the English competition then why would the other Championship clubs comply?”
QPR would be facing a transfer embargo rather than a fine had they failed to gain promotion, with the latter punishment reserved for clubs outside the Football League’s jurisdiction.
That might not have been the case had the Premier League agreed to enforce any Football League transfer embargo in the top flight, something it refused to do.
It also blocked the Football League’s plans to distribute its own FFP fines among its member clubs and instead donate it to charity, something Harvey branded “disappointing”.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

Just heard this on 5 Live where they reckon they are due to be fined £40million. Failure to pay would mean they would not be allowed, should they get relegated, back into any football league. But what if this happens, will the mighty PL stop the promoted team from replacing QPR?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why can't the onus be on the clubs to PROVE they have complied with FFP on the 1st of May, or even within 1 month of the January window closing.

No provision of proof of passing FFP would mean automatic FAIL ???

You're suggesting that they submit their FFP accounts to the FL 3 months before the season even ends?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just heard this on 5 Live where they reckon they are due to be fined £40million. Failure to pay would mean they would not be allowed, should they get relegated, back into any football league. But what if this happens, will the mighty PL stop the promoted team from replacing QPR?

The mighty PL would end up having a useless competition then. With only a few teams able to compete for the top spot most of the season would end up being nothing more than friendlies for the majority of teams. This would damage the image of the league and end the boom times of high advertisers and result in empty grounds.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Probably not. As far as the Premier League would be concerned QPR have left it and its the FLs problem to deal with. It'll still take a promoted club, just to keep its gravy train running normally.

Can see the FL doing this as well, though it also requires participation of the Conference, who could equally refuse QPR as well.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
You're suggesting that they submit their FFP accounts to the FL 3 months before the season even ends?
I don't know about 3 months, but surely it is possible to offer proof of FFP compliance before the season ends.

I imagine all will be very willing to provide this if not doing so means an assumption of FFP failure and a points deduction.

There needs to be more of a can-do attitude from the league in sorting out points deductions in the current season.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Would anyone mind if FFP was just scrapped? Can't see it would affect fans really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here