Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ferguson out of Ireland squad (Injury)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This. It's customary (required?) to let the national team doctor/physio team have a look, otherwise players would be pulling out with non-existent niggles all over the place...
This indeed.

And it is because he's not f***ing Ryan (35 caps) Giggs

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I'll think you'll find it was a joke.....
In my experience - when it comes to English fans - this is rarely, if ever a joke.

Over the years many, many, English fans tend to adopt an arrogant attitude in relation to the Irish team - a throwback to centuries of colonial domination - and seem to believe that the only reason why Ireland have qualified for tournaments was because of English footballers.

Their cough is usually softened when it is pointed out that Ireland (not Hungary) were the first non-home countries team to beat England on English soil (2-0 at Goodison Park in 1948) - and that England have not beaten Ireland in a competitive match since 1980 - Ireland 1W and 3D.

And lets not forget the full-scale riot that English fans (and only English fans) caused during a friendly at Landsdowne Road in 1995 shortly Ireland took the lead in the game - and injured 50 Irish fans in the process. Noteworthy - in the light of other threads on here - English fascists (Combat 18) specifically targeted the game to cause trouble. Jack Charlton said after the game 'I've seen a lot in football but I've never seen anything like that. Every Englishman should be ashamed'.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
In my experience - when it comes to English fans - this is rarely, if ever a joke.

Over the years many, many, English fans tend to adopt an arrogant attitude in relation to the Irish team - a throwback to centuries of colonial domination - and seem to believe that the only reason why Ireland have qualified for tournaments was because of English footballers.

Their cough is usually softened when it is pointed out that Ireland (not Hungary) were the first non-home countries team to beat England on English soil (2-0 at Goodison Park in 1948) - and that England have not beaten Ireland in a competitive match since 1980 - Ireland 1W and 3D.

And lets not forget the full-scale riot that English fans (and only English fans) caused during a friendly at Landsdowne Road in 1995 shortly Ireland took the lead in the game - and injured 50 Irish fans in the process. Noteworthy - in the light of other threads on here - English fascists (Combat 18) specifically targeted the game to cause trouble. Jack Charlton said after the game 'I've seen a lot in football but I've never seen anything like that. Every Englishman should be ashamed'.
Nah, it really was a joke :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Over the years many, many, English fans tend to adopt an arrogant attitude in relation to the Irish team - a throwback to centuries of colonial domination -
Good grief. I honestly mean no disrespect by this, but by God, it must be hard work being like this ALL the time, about EVERYTHING.

Not everything has to come down to class war or colonial subjugation. It’s possible for football fans of rival teams / countries to poke fun at each other, without any deeper meaning behind it.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I believe under the 80s version of the rules, the u21 games (and single B game) that Steve Bruce did for England prevented him from changing to either of his other options - Ireland or Northern Ireland - both teams would have bitten your arm off to get him at the time; although I don't know if he'd have wanted to play for them!
Nah - the B international did not stop Steve Bruce playing for Ireland - that was down solely to Alex Ferguson, who threatened Bruce that he would never play for Man U again if he declared for Ireland because he would be treated as a foreign player under the 3 foreign player rule after the Bosman ruling. And he wasn't the only one that was intimidated by their managers at that time.

As an aside - 10 members of the English squad who played in the 2022 WC are part of the Irish diaspora and would have qualified to play for Ireland - including the five most expensive English footballers of all time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So does anyone know the extent of the injury and how long it’s going to keep him out for?
Evan, the Irish FA and Brighton medical team probably do

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Evan is Irish! He may well have an English mum but there is no way on earth imo he was going to represent anyone other than Ireland - he will be a hero for them and for us(hopefully for a good while!)
No, no, he's part of the English diaspora.

Or colonisation or something. Whether the victim of or the coloniser is difficult to say.

But you definitely can't say that because he's born and raised in Ireland and clearly Irish that he's Irish. That won't do at all.

;)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
No, no, he's part of the English diaspora.

Or colonisation or something. Whether the victim of or the coloniser is difficult to say.

But you definitely can't say that because he's born and raised in Ireland and clearly Irish that he's Irish. That won't do at all.

;)

With a name like Ferguson he's definitely from the Scottish diaspora to Ireland.

WBG probably been getting in his ear trying to coax him their way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here