Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Female referees…..

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
I know it’s only half time between Costa Rica and Germany but I seem to have noticed less aggression towards the officials. 99% of us would never be aggressive or attempt to bully a woman, so do you think this may transfer itself to the football pitch ? Will be interesting to see.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Having always played Rugby but watched football, I cannot understand why the authorities don’t apply the same rules as to how players interact with refs in rugby as football. There seems to be no desire to protect refs in football from abuse, intimidation etc even at school level. Yet in rugby this is instilled from the earliest age up to international level.
It shouldn’t be about the gender of the ref, but entirely about respect for the person in charge of the game.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Having always played Rugby but watched football, I cannot understand why the authorities don’t apply the same rules as to how players interact with refs in rugby as football. There seems to be no desire to protect refs in football from abuse, intimidation etc even at school level. Yet in rugby this is instilled from the earliest age up to international level.
It shouldn’t be about the gender of the ref, but entirely about respect for the person in charge of the game.
Rugby officials have always been of a higher standard than football refs in general , they are shown and have explained for all to see why a decision is made . With VAR the ref doesn`t have to explain anything which causes most of the problems .

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
Absolutely agree. We used to have the penalty of the ball being moved forward 10 yards for anybody questioning the referee but that got stopped as players did it on purpose to limit free kick goals ironically.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
. 99% of us would never be aggressive or attempt to bully a woman, so do you think this may transfer itself to the football pitch ?
If officials were treated more deferentially because they are women, you can be sure there will be an element of feeling they were not as good as men when it came to judging infractions because of their sex too - better it’s ingrained that they are officials period - no ‘women’ about it.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Don’t think aggression towards/disprespect of refs in football started with VAR
No but , it could be greatly reduced if they used it properly . It you make a decision transparent to everyone , you take away any argument as to it`s veracity , hence taking away the reason to disrespect the ref , and also helping to curb trouble between apposing fans .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Rugby officials have always been of a higher standard than football refs in general , they are shown and have explained for all to see why a decision is made . With VAR the ref doesn`t have to explain anything which causes most of the problems .
That and a high percentage have played the game to a good level.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Use to get the odd female ref at Leek Town and treated with far more respect than her male counterparts and so long as her decision making is fine, absolutely no problem. Let's hopefully get more.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Football

Rugby

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
Does this show the misogynistic/patronising nature of many footballers when they behave completely differently to someone on a football pitch purely based on the persons gender?

#equalityforall

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
What could possibly go wrong?
5B78022E-E535-4FD6-B56E-A24D8673E54A.jpeg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The lack of aggression towards women officials is brilliant…. Until …

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Does this show the misogynistic/patronising nature of many footballers when they behave completely differently to someone on a football pitch purely based on the persons gender?

#equalityforall
I watched the game and I think actually she got respect from the players because she did a good job. I’d welcome her reffing any game at the amex over the shower of shite we’ve seen this season. Not sure it had anything to do with her gender.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The aggression towards the officials after the Uraguay game was terrible and at least 4 players should have been red carded for touching the officials. So in answer to the question, would they have behaved more or less aggressive had they been women.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know it’s only half time between Costa Rica and Germany but I seem to have noticed less aggression towards the officials. 99% of us would never be aggressive or attempt to bully a woman, so do you think this may transfer itself to the football pitch ? Will be interesting to see.
Were there female refs for any of the Saudi games? I'd have liked to see that.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
The aggression towards the officials after the Uraguay game was terrible and at least 4 players should have been red carded for touching the officials. So in answer to the question, would they have behaved more or less aggressive had they been women.
That’s not an answer. I still think they wouldn’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here