Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Female pundits

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My only objection to the commentary team or the pundits was that there were no "Brighton specific" people on show. Arsenal had Dixon surely Amazon could have had an ex Albion player - the Spurs match the previous night had "Arry and Glenn Hoddle. Apart from that little gripe I thought the commentary/punditry teams did OK. Even (and it grates to say it) Alan Pardew.

Wasn’t one of the commentary team an Arsenal fan too?

Edit just checked and he’s an ex United fan who now supports Forest. Could have sworn I heard him refer to Arsenal as “we” a couple of times :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Bloody irritated me, having those two women in the studio post match. It's not that they were awful, but it's a man's game (the one they had been watching) and we want opinions and feedback from people who have experience of the men's version of the game. It's so bloody obvious that they're just there because someone thought "we need a woman or two to satisfy the lefties". Pathetic.

:ffsparr:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Rebecca Lowe does a pretty good job as anchor for NBC Sports in the States. Used to work for Setanta and ESPN

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
In general, I am not convinced by the general change to many tv programmes where the number of female presenters, newscasters has increased to the point where some programmes feel like a matriarchy. Often I feel this is done to satisfy a principal rather than on merit.

This! But would also agree that are some good women pundits. What also annoys me is how none of the militant feminists take Sky Sports to task on their recruitment policy for their female presenters. Virtually all of them are Dolly birds. So one wonders what chance a girl who was a little plain might have despite having a good sporting knowledge and being comfortable presenting to camera.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Bloody irritated me, having those two women in the studio post match. It's not that they were awful, but it's a man's game (the one they had been watching) and we want opinions and feedback from people who have experience of the men's version of the game. It's so bloody obvious that they're just there because someone thought "we need a woman or two to satisfy the lefties". Pathetic.

I don't know if this meant as a joke or if it is your honest opinion. Either way you're clearly a dick.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I don't believe there is anything wrong with pundits who have played football and the women's version, when played at a fast pace, can be extremely exciting, probably not as exciting as the men's side in the PL but at least as exciting as the National League. If they have the experience playing on the women's sides in top leagues they will be as good if not better than the men.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Virtually all of them are Dolly birds. So one wonders what chance a girl who was a little plain might have despite having a good sporting knowledge and being comfortable presenting to camera.

"Oi, you...."

wat.jpg

"Fancy doing a bit of punditry?"

el punal

If women hadn't historically been denied opportunities to become sports broadcasters, there'd be no need to address any disparity.

Do you imagine women particularly enjoy mainly men commentating on women's football? Or on the women's 200m Olympic final? Or on the women's team pursuit in the cycling?

And why do either of you feel the need to say any of this out loud? I'm genuinely curious.

:facepalm:

Oh dear! If you couldn’t work out that the context of my post was purely tongue in cheek humour what hope is there. :shrug:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I tend to agree with you HT, the two worst working relationships I ever had was with a couple of short arses.( I'm a comfortable 5' 11" )

In your high heels veg.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
My bet is he’s only 5’4” and has also failed to get noticed in life. The internet is a lifeline to such people.

You complain about prejudice by introducing a completely new and irrational one.

I’m six foot four, but deriding men for being short and using it as a lazy shorthand for being a loser is downright obnoxious in my opinion.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You complain about prejudice by introducing a completely new and irrational one.

I’m six foot four, but deriding men for being short and using it as a lazy shorthand for being a loser is downright obnoxious in my opinion.

Hark at you coming The Big Man !

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
This is a one of the posts I feel I have to end up re-posting every time the Albion women play and most people are trying to write and coment about the game in question, just it seems to send a certain type of man into a blind rage.

I think its sentiment apply just as much here as there. One of the moments last night for me when I was traveling to the game, I was talking to two young Arsenal fans (I was wearing my Brighton scarf) we talked mangers and players and about the game, but also within that conversation in that we talked quite normally about the two womens team, in my opinion Arsenal (the current champions) are the best team, and Bloom wanting us to be a top four team is going to be a tough ask. No blind rage, no loss of identity for them, just another part of the club they follow.

I am proud Bloom and Albion get how football is an inclusive thing, They now spend millions backing mens footbal, womens football, kids football, Albions U 23 football, Downs syndrome teams, mental heath adult teams, blind football, powerchair football and much more.

1200 girls play football with the Albion teams every year, it must be one of the biggest growing sectors of sport in Europe. Bloom and Amex are spending £25 million building a state of the art womens and girls training centre at Lancing with three new pictures. It was impressive to see the work going on the other FRiday when the U23's played Liverpool.

The Bloom Albion backed machine rolls on. I am absolutely blown away by the funding of the scores of teams Albion fund. Under Bloom's stewardship I believe they all play at the highest level they can. On top of this we are producing so many internationals at every level, the English FA must love us.

The women got a double promotion to get to the WSL and did so well to stay up last year.

I say support all this and be proud the club is so bloody football inclusive.

I love it, try and get on the amazing Albion journey Bloom is funding and the football/sports journey the wider world is taking, you may actually find if you open your mind a little you like it.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It is really interesting this debate as personally I could not care less and I find Aluko, Scott and many others very insightful and interesting to listen to, massive fan of Jules Breach in particular as she is a huge Albion fan.

In much of the Feminist world though men are told that they should not comment on female issues as they cannot empathise or understand them, they are routinely told to shut up or if they do comment they are accused of mansplaining (a term I find particularly pathetic). Simultaneously there is a push to have females add their judgement to a league and standard of football they have never played even close to. This strikes me as hypocritical. Are these women femsplaining? Criticising a player who is light years ahead of the game they played in? I am purposely being facetious here by the way.

My personal opinion is that I am all for both males and female pundits to cover both the men's and women's game, if that is the case though we need to allow freedom to analyse, debate and criticise. If that means a male pundit calling a female player for playing crap then he needs to be able to do so without being brandished as some kind of misogynist. At the moment, all the pundits cut across each other, argue and disagree......apart from when the female speaks, they would not dare, it would be career suicide. That is not equality, if Alex Scott is talking rubbish then Souness should tell her in the same way he does to Neville or Jenas.

Rant over.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Seems that a lot of people don't much like the idea of women having a voice. In a way it's good to hear the sort of views coming out above, reminds me that it's too easy to think things are OK and equal now, when the views above reveal they're really not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here