Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Female comediennes, Funny?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Watched Millican tonight on the telly. Didn't laugh once.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Wow - surprised at this thread. I watch a lot of comedy, and many of my favourite comedians are women. I agree that some of those you see on the mainstream media can be very repetitive, but comedy has come a long way from Jo Brand's tired routines about periods and hating men. I would urge you to check out some of the following - all of whom are excellent and very funny.

Danielle Ward
Angela Barnes
Tiff Stevenson
Ellie Taylor
Janey Godley
Ashley Storrie

By the way - is @Comedy-Steve on here actually Stephen Grant? There was an interesting story about him on the radio last week.....

Last edited:

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Wow - surprised at this thread. I watch a lot of comedy, and many of my favourite comedians are women. I agree that some of those you see on the mainstream media can be very repetitive, but comedy has come a long way from Jo Brand's tired routines about periods and hating men. I would urge you to check out some of the following - all of whom are excellent and very funny.

Danielle Ward
Angela Barnes
Tiff Stevenson
Ellie Taylor
Janey Godley
Ashley Storrie

By the way - is @ComedySteve on here actually Stephen Grant? There was an interesting story about him on the radio last week.....

Sorry - forgot to mention Bridget Christie. She's ace.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Women aren't funny, period. (Excuse the pun)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Always enjoy Jo Brands self deprecating dry humour.
:eek:

I like(ed) French and Saunders, and Catherine Tate is ok, but Jo Brand!? Her comedy is lazy 'so I ate anover cake and smoked a fag'. Self deprecating humour is easy, she doesn't seem to have much more than that.

after watching sarah millican on beeb 2 and as much as i find her entertaining i don't actually find her that funny, same with victoria wood, she's very talented but doesn't make me roar with laughter like many male comedians.come to think of it i don't find any female comedienne's funny. I've tried believe me, watched miranda, awful, french and saunders- annoying. Never really laughed at any comediennes on mock the week or comedy roadshow. Am i wrong, am i missing something?

thought she was poor last night,trying too hard and throwing in some smut did not work for her,lost her original appeal:moo:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How much money people make or what TV audience they get is irrelevant. It probably means they are suitable for bland mass-market TV, and almost certainly have to tone down their content (if they even needed to) as a result.

But I don't buy the 'women don't make good comedians' stuff. There are fewer, so you maybe have to look harder, and there are total duds like Miranda and Victoria Wood, just as Billy Connolly and Michael McIntyre aren't in the least bit funny.

But the likes of Sarah Silverman, Joan Rivers are quality acts. Shappi Khorsandi makes me laugh as well. And I would pay to see Lucy Porter, although that is not totally joke-related.

I really can't stand Shappi Khorsandi - can always see the punchline coming about 10 mins before it arrives. Millican's voice gets on my nerves, but think she plays well to her chosen audience. Joan Rivers is funny because she is outrageous mostly but would generally for me I don't find the best comediennes anywhere near as funny as the best blokes. Have liked a few that have appeared on things like Mock The Week (Lucy Porter, Andi Osho for example). That said, my missus doesn't find my favourite comedians (O'Brian (sensational live), Connolly (of old), Ghilbert, Flanagan etc) that funny either but loves Miranda........whose main trick seems to be looking gormlessly at the camera. Also quite a difference between staged shows and stand-up. Catherine Tate stands out amongst the females for me, brilliant - up there with Whitehouse and Enfield.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Dawn French, Catherine Tate. Can't think of any others but there's probably a couple. The standard is much higher in male comedians.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here