Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Female athletes with high testosterone levels

How should female athletes with high testosterone levels be treated?

• Leave them alone and let them get on with it

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Make them take testosterone suppressants

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Make them compete against men if they don't take suppressants

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Create a women with high testosterone level competitive category

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
By a similar token testosterone levels must vary within men as well. Will men outside an acceptable range also have an unfair advantage?
I believe that the issue is generally that these aren't women with high testosterone levels, but people who weren't born as women. They have a Y chromosome.

I do of course fully empathise with the individual athletes whose lives have likely been very difficult, due to their specific medical circumstances. But if they're not 100% female biologically, and they want to make a career competing against women who are, then taking suppressants seems like the fairest option.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is it just any female athlete with high testosterone levels, or is it females who were born males?

About time re Caster.

Are you taking the piss? Is it fair to make all women in the world compete against the likes of Caster, who was born a man?

You know this as a fact? Or just your opinion?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This is really tricky.

Taking Semenya as the example she can't compete against men because their testosterone levels will be far higher so she would be disadvantaged.

Women competing against her would be at a disadvantage as Semenya's testosterone level would be much higher.

I suppose asking Semenya and others who have the same issue to reduce their testosterone is the only sensible option really so she is competing equally with other women. It wouldn't be at all practical to expect ALL male athletes to reduce their testosterone levels to that of Semenya's.

Sad thing but if we want equality of competition, then the IAAF's solution seems to be the fairest.

So what you are suggesting is a men's, women's and freak's category.

As said elsewhere, differences in genetic make-up have to be accepted.

Born a woman, race as a woman, born a man race as a man - I'm not quite sure where hermaphrodits fit in, but I've yet to hear of a top athlete falling into that category!
As for gender neutral athletes, well that's another debate...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I believe that the issue is generally that these aren't women with high testosterone levels, but people who weren't born as women. They have a Y chromosome.

I do of course fully empathise with the individual athletes whose lives have likely been very difficult, due to their specific medical circumstances. But if they're not 100% female biologically, and they want to make a career competing against women who are, then taking suppressants seems like the fairest option.

So to what levels do you take the suppressants, just to the level where they no longer win?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
My ex-wife had quite a 'tache on her so she had plenty of testosterone but she could never run faster than me.

Maybe because her 'tache compromised her aerodynamics. If she had shaved it off she possibly could have.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
There’s one simple solution, so simple I can’t believe it hasn’t been thought of yet. Cut their bollocks off.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
So what you are suggesting is a men's, women's and freak's category.

As said elsewhere, differences in genetic make-up have to be accepted.

Born a woman, race as a woman, born a man race as a man - I'm not quite sure where hermaphrodits fit in, but I've yet to hear of a top athlete falling into that category!
As for gender neutral athletes, well that's another debate...

It hasn’t been disclosed but there is a high probability that semenya is genetically ‘hermaphrodite’, she identifies as female.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So to what levels do you take the suppressants, just to the level where they no longer win?
At a guess, how about to the average level of the decent female athletes.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
University of Brighton (Prof Yannis Pitsiladis) is leading the international research into this important matter.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Attachments

• GettyImages-491987017-162ba29.jpg
    GettyImages-491987017-162ba29.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 113

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I don't begin to understand all of the issues at play here... but it is surely a very slippery slope... will we end up (rather like the paralympics) with categories for every genetic variation/anomalies/gifts like height, strength, webbed feet, etc...
Surely the answer with the growing trans debate is that we drop all the divisions and just have one category.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I don't begin to understand all of the issues at play here... but it is surely a very slippery slope... will we end up (rather like the paralympics) with categories for every genetic variation/anomalies/gifts like height, strength, webbed feet, etc...

The new world record for the asthmatic hundred metres is ...............

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
In this instance I feel very sorry for the athlete in question and it's a dangerous route that the IAAF has started down I can see a whole host of similar claims with investigations and the outing of all genders and individuals the special olimpics may become the even more special olimpics which may be the best thing one olimpics that covers all disabilities all genders and may be all ages

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here