Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feeling Misled

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
The fact is you're going to see better and more exciting football next season whoever the new manager is, so don't be too upset.

lol, I can't wait to see what steady, boring, dull manager we can find to put up with no money and no current ambition apart from penny pinching.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
B) we are constraining ourselves to FFP principles which no-one else is following - Club please comment on how material this is in reality, are QPR going to be deducted points? No.

this is the general reason and it is well known and publicised. and its more than simply following FFP and waiting to see other clubs being punished, the fact is the club is being run so as not to get into massive debt again. recall how we pour derision on the likes of Pompey for buying their way to success? do you want us to just do the same?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Love how football fans are so good at spending other peoples' money and then refuse to spend any of their own when they dont get guaranteed success

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
we made the playoffs ffs, and no we still aren't quite good enough to go up, but still it's an achievement.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
this is the general reason and it is well known and publicised. and its more than simply following FFP and waiting to see other clubs being punished, the fact is the club is being run so as not to get into massive debt again. recall how we pour derision on the likes of Pompey for buying their way to success? do you want us to just do the same?

I make the point not to go crazy and bet the farm, we all get the cliche of boom and bust and its too simplistic to say this is FFP and not buying success. We all get that, its a given.

What isnt clear is candour about the parameters the managers have to operate in. If we operate in x cost what is the budget and what is the expectation of achievement with that in the context of a division of different budgets.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Love how football fans are so good at spending other peoples' money and then refuse to spend any of their own when they dont get guaranteed success

Glad you love it, but unfortunately nobody is saying that. Indeed, the danger is without more clarity and a pattern of one year managers the risk is fans will reconsider season ticket renewals.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We pay plenty on player salaries. Not as much as those with parachute money or those having a massive punt but sufficient to compete. Which we have been doing. There is nothing to feel sore about where that is concerned.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Part of my justification for renewing my season ticket was that we are trying to move up. Not expecting that to happen immediately, not expecting us to go crazy and bet the farm. However two talented managers have effectively qualified themselves out on the basis of how we are not set up to progress which suggests that:

Look on the bright side if we do make it to the premiership and considering the life expectancy of their managers you will be able to contemplate the renewal of your season ticket every couple of weeks.

this will no doubt make you very happy.

step1/ buy season ticket
step2/ team finish 4th get in play offs
step3/ question renewing season ticket.
step4/ renew season ticket
step5/ team finish 6th get in play offs
step6/ question renewing season ticket

step7/ spend summer hunting for Nessie

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Losing Garcia makes me want to buy one...

look, Gus didn't just quit in a huff, he did 3 and a half years here and it its fair to say it was time for him to move on in his career. It ended in a mess, which was a shame, but anyway, he was one of the longest serving managers in the league.

Garcia just wasn't that good. Maybe for some reason he thought he would have millions to spend, maybe he's just got an offer he can't turn down, maybe he realises his stock will never be as high, maybe he knows he's out of his depth. Maybe he just hates Nathan Jones and this is nothing to do with money at all.

We have enough money, the club just wants to target it properly.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away

The irony is strong in this one.

Dear mr bloom, we deserve to be told:

A) Are you really a fan who cares about results and attacking football?
B) Have you put millions of your money into the club?
C) Are you running the club so as not to get into debt again?

Yes, Yes, Yes.

To all those moaning stop or piss off.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Reading that Spanish womans coments about why oscar left, I was surprised to see her blaming Tony himself, as she has been the only person I have seen actually blame him personally for anything in all the time hes been incharge.

I don't know anything about what was promised to Oscar about anything, but I do know I have never heard Bloom or even Barber promise us fans anything that was misleading to what actually happened.

Saying that he did state that he wants Brighton to be run in a sustainable way, we are not there yet.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
The irony is strong in this one.

Dear mr bloom, we deserve to be told:

A) Are you really a fan who cares about results and attacking football?
B) Have you put millions of your money into the club?
C) Are you running the club so as not to get into debt again?

Yes, Yes, Yes.

To all those moaning stop or piss off.

There's no irony. Again you miss the point, no one is challenging A, B or C. The club is not exempt from question, two good managers have called out what is becoming apparent...the manager needs some managerial accountability, not just coaching, and needs some support in achieving the seasons objectives. Both Gus and Oscar have recognised that isn't there.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
All this bollox about its impossible to compete with the parachute payment brigade pisses me right off , that argument holds no water whatsoever , Burnley sold their best player then got themselves a few good players in and gained automatic promotion probably working from a much lower budget than us .

The time is now to get a manager in who can work under the restraints of FFP without crying to TB about what other clubs have , these people get paid a hell of a lot of money its about time they bloody well earn it , roll their sleeves up and get on with it .

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
There's no irony. Again you miss the point, no one is challenging A, B or C. The club is not exempt from question, two good managers have called out what is becoming apparent...the manager needs some managerial accountability, not just coaching, and needs some support in achieving the seasons objectives. Both Gus and Oscar have recognised that isn't there.

Is it perhaps more the case that when we are close they want to spend/exceed the budget to buy their way to the next level? That is; after all, the norm. It is what Mackay did at Cardiff for example (which is why I don't expect him to be our next manager). Tony has said no, probably coloured by his unique relationship with the club and his intimate awareness of how close we came to the brink. You may agree with this approach or disagree because you think the only way to the promised land is to spend more. But ultimately only Tony knows how much money we have. It is after all his money.
My son supports Aston Villa.. Martin O'Neill almost bankrupted them and they have been hanging on by their fingernails ever since. My grandsons support Birmingham who bought success and the owners walked when that started to fail. If some people lose patience and perspective and want to buy success for Brighton it will be without Tony Bloom but these and many, many more reasons to be very wary who takes the reigns.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I make the point not to go crazy and bet the farm, we all get the cliche of boom and bust and its too simplistic to say this is FFP and not buying success. We all get that, its a given.

What isnt clear is candour about the parameters the managers have to operate in. If we operate in x cost what is the budget and what is the expectation of achievement with that in the context of a division of different budgets.

Because all companies in all industries share their budgets and plans with employees, customers and competitors, don't they?

What possible reason would there be to put this commercially sensitive information in the public domain?

There seems to be a number of people posting on this and other threads whose sense of entitlement is so high that they would have the club get royally screwed over by every agent, club and player just so they are "kept informed". F*cking crazy!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
All this bollox about its impossible to compete with the parachute payment brigade pisses me right off , that argument holds no water whatsoever , Burnley sold their best player then got themselves a few good players in and gained automatic promotion probably working from a much lower budget than us .

Didn't they receive a £9m parachute payment for the 2013/14 season?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I honestly dont know and to be honest if they did they still did a bloody good job with what they had , put it this way at the start of last season where would you have thought Burnley would have finished in the league ? i would have said mid table or lower in all honesty

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here