Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Feeding The Wheel

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
10 to 2 or qtr to 3 are both acceptable.

In the old days crossing your hands was a test fail but not anymore however always recommended to feed the wheel. Also, what happens whilst crossing your arms and someone hits you. Not a nice soft airbag in your face then.

The modern tough guys with just one flexed right arm on the top of the wheel at all times, literally can never cross arms, the left arm is always rested.

I haven’t analysed my own method, probably a relaxed 20 to 4?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Were you not taught how to drive this way?

He's American and they don't do lessons over there. Just get their mate Billy-Bob to show them how to start the car and away they go.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The modern tough guys with just one flexed right arm on the top of the wheel at all times, literally can never cross arms, the left arm is always rested.

They're the ones who have their left hand rested on the gearstick like its a trigger. . . . which inadvertently farks up the synchro hub and selector fork of 4th gear . . . . to the point it jumps out, and you have to hold it in gear . . .. anyone who drove in the 70's 80's will know this. Having built lots of Ford gearboxes over the years I've seen plenty of evidence.

most race cars have quicker streering than road to minimise movement . . .I've seen people weaving down the straights as they can't keep still! many race wheels have grip shapes at 10-2. its a natural position.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
After seeing this a couple of days ago, I’ve realised I do hold the wheel at 10 to 2, but only because it’s normally where my hands naturally “fall”.

And I feed the wheel. It’s what I was taught to do in 1970, and I’ve always felt comfortable doing it.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Somewhere in France there's a photo of me taken by a speed camera that shows me eating the wheel as I was driving with my teeth. You have to mix it up on a long drive.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

Agreed, 10 to 2 (when really having to concentrate) and 20 to 4 when relaxed.

It is all so different from the old days before power steering became general which is long after when I started.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
They're the ones who have their left hand rested on the gearstick like its a trigger. . . . which inadvertently farks up the synchro hub and selector fork of 4th gear . . . . to the point it jumps out, and you have to hold it in gear . . .. anyone who drove in the 70's 80's will know this. Having built lots of Ford gearboxes over the years I've seen plenty of evidence.

most race cars have quicker streering than road to minimise movement . . .I've seen people weaving down the straights as they can't keep still! many race wheels have grip shapes at 10-2. its a natural position.

Gearstick? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here