Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Feargal Sharkey

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
A depressing but delicious irony that one of the lead stories today is that one of the last bastions of Englishness, the boat race, is so affected by this grim situation.
Fair play Mr Sharkey, and Surfers Against Sewage, for being such a long term voice against all this madness. This country really is in dire straits.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
A depressing but delicious irony that one of the lead stories today is that one of the last bastions of Englishness, the boat race, is so affected by this grim situation.
Fair play Mr Sharkey, and Surfers Against Sewage, for being such a long term voice against all this madness. This country really is in dire straits.
Top Man , Feargal is ...

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
yep, another reason to nationalise our utility companies.
This. There are certain sectors that need to remain in public ownership and this is is one of them. Nationalisation won’t cure the problems overnight, but if it increases investment in services and reduces executive remuneration it would at least make feel that the water companies are on “our side”. I don’t feel that way currently.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. There are certain sectors that need to remain in public ownership and this is is one of them. Nationalisation won’t cure the problems overnight, but if it increases investment in services and reduces executive remuneration it would at least make feel that the water companies are on “our side”. I don’t feel that way currently.

The postal service, water, rail …. should all be under majority or wholly state ownership.

The water privatisations wasn’t an awful idea, initially it led to significant investment on infrastructure, I remember Southern Water in the 90’s getting on with big projects. Pre that in the 1980’s the UK was mocked for polluted beaches and a lack of blue flags compared to our continental neighbours. But these entities clearly can’t now cope with the huge rainfall from climate change, worsened by shysters who took vast dividends financed by debt such as the immoral owners of Thames from 2006 to 2017.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
A good heart these days is hard to find.
True love the lasting kind.
I can't believe that, after all these years, I only found out last week who wrote that song:

Maria McKee wrote it when she was just 19! Lone Justice's producer strangely rejected it from their debut album, but played it to Dave Stewart, who said immediately that he'd got it wrong and that it was a definite number one. On returning to the UK and producing Feargal's solo album, Stewart remembered and sought it out.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Good on Feargal for his campaigning. We need to protect our water for the long term, but we always seem to elect chancers who want to govern on the 'Never Never'.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Ye
What a campaigner for water quality in this country. Outstanding on Newsnight tonight. What I’d give for him to front the Undertones live once more.

What a campaigner for water quality in this country. Outstanding on Newsnight tonight. What I’d give for him to front the Undertones live once more. Absolute legend.
Yep he has a good heart!

Love 'Teenage kicks' put me off a bit when i first discovered what the song was about.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I can't believe that, after all these years, I only found out last week who wrote that song:

Maria McKee wrote it when she was just 19! Lone Justice's producer strangely rejected it from their debut album, but played it to Dave Stewart, who said immediately that he'd got it wrong and that it was a definite number one. On returning to the UK and producing Feargal's solo album, Stewart remembered and sought it out.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Good on Feargal for his campaigning. We need to protect our water for the long term, but we always seem to elect chancers who want to govern on the 'Never Never'.

And... and... and...!

McKee wrote it about her relationship with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers keyboardist Benmont Tench.

And Tench wrote You Little Thief, supposedly about McKee (but he denies it).

They sit side-by-side as the opening two tracks on Feargal's debut solo album.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There's clearly something wrong in this country when the University Boat crews are told not to go in the Thames, cover any blisters up and wear footwear when launching the boats.

Increased testing is not working
Testing is a wate of time and money, they know the planners are allowed to put drain water into sewage and pave over the hole country, they know the system can't cope and they know they'll be pumping shit Wherever they can and have/want to.

the tests are just in the vain hope they can convince enough people it's ok To do so.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Testing is a wate of time and money, they know the planners are allowed to put drain water into sewage and pave over the hole country, they know the system can't cope and they know they'll be pumping shit Wherever they can and have/want to.

the tests are just in the vain hope they can convince enough people it's ok To do so.
It's sewage into the drains and then into watercourses untreated that's the problem.......

It's beyond belief that the systems and infrastructure haven't been updated for so long - this isn't a new problem, and is getting worse (more housebuilding = more shit in the rivers, plus climate change effects of more/heavier rainfall). Still, as long as the water co shareholders get their divvies and the bosses get their bonuses :rolleyes:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
It's sewage into the drains and then into watercourses untreated that's the problem.......

It's beyond belief that the systems and infrastructure haven't been updated for so long - this isn't a new problem, and is getting worse (more housebuilding = more shit in the rivers, plus climate change effects of more/heavier rainfall). Still, as long as the water co shareholders get their divvies and the bosses get their bonuses :rolleyes:
True, unfortunately.

Shame.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Also intensive farming, the river Wye has been destroyed by run off from poultry farms with little or no action or consideration for the river when permitted. Used to be one of clearest most beautiful rivers now algae ridden and ruined.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
And is there a problem with that ?
Song content up to the writer isn't it ?
Was a 'punk' song after all, so wouldn't be about roses and fluffy stuff.
Plemty of songs out there with much worse language/content, can't see a prorblem.
'Wednesday Week', was my favourite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here