Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fear for the future

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
While many of you are delighted this morning, I really fear for the future of this club. Who are we going to attract as a new manager with the Falmer situation looking worst than ever. If we appoint from inside where are the guarantees that they will do any better than Wood and Hinshelwood before.

I will be delighted if we do appoint a brilliant new manager or if this turns out to be the turning point of our season. I will also support whoever we appoint. However, all this optimism assumes that the new manager will be better. This may not be the case and we may have a made a big mistake especially as the transfer window has now shut.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Richie Morris said:
Whoever we appoint can hardly do any WORSE.

Also, we have attracted decent managers before what is to say we can't again.

The situation is different now. Falmer seems further away than ever.

The new manager can do worst. That is a stupid comment. Mark McGhee has done a good job under difficult circumstances. If I was a manager and saw how Brighton fans turn on their manager despite him doing a good job for most of the time there I would not want the job.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Finchley Seagull said:
If we appoint from inside where are the guarantees that they will do any better than Wood and Hinshelwood before.

Why this pre-occupation with comparisons to Wood and Hinshelwood. Every new young manager starts somewhere. What happened with other encumbants is of no relevance.

Wilkins has the support, respect and understanding of the new generation of Albion players. They have matured together.

I rememeber his young team winning a game and still Wilkins was taking them to task for a below average performance - thats the sort of manager we want.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think McGhee enjoyed the support of a lot of Brighton fans for far longer then our performances deserved.

With his record at any other club he would have been sacked long ago.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Re: Re: Fear for the future

Uncle C said:
Why this pre-occupation with comparisons to Wood and Hinshelwood. Every new young manager starts somewhere. What happened with other encumbants is of no relevance.

Wilkins has the support, respect and understanding of the new generation of Albion players. They have matured together.

I rememeber his young team winning a game and still Wilkins was taking them to task for a below average performance - thats the sort of manager we want.
Quite, you only have to look at Boothroyd at Watford, not all young first time managers are disasters.

Uncle C, is TC in the running for the job?... :clap2:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Richie Morris said:
I think McGhee enjoyed the support of a lot of Brighton fans for far longer then our performances deserved.

With his record at any other club he would have been sacked long ago.

We are not any other club. Our situation means that we could not compete at Championship level in the long term. We sold Virgo, Harding, Currie and Cullip and he was not given the money to replace them. He brought a lot of our youngsters into the first team and signed some good players. Why not give him some credit now he has gone.

Also to answer other points. I would support Wilkins if he was appointed but everybody seems convinced that he is a guaranteed success. I am just warning that this may not be the case as he has only had three months working in first team football.

Now a choice is forced I would go for Dave Penney as he did a fantastic job at Doncaster.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Re: Re: Re: Fear for the future

Trigger said:
Quite, you only have to look at Boothroyd at Watford, not all young first time managers are disasters.

Boothroyd had been working with the first team for a lot longer than Wilkins!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Re: Re: Re: Re: Fear for the future

Finchley Seagull said:
Boothroyd had been working with the first team for a lot longer than Wilkins!
Really?... And there was me thinking half the first team squad are Wilkins boys from the last two+ years....

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fear for the future

Trigger said:
Really?... And there was me thinking half the first team squad are Wilkins boys from the last two+ years....

Youth football is very different to first team football. However, as I said in a previous post, I would be delighted if Wilkins is appointed and does well. All I am saying is he is not guaranteed to be a success. Do you disagree with that? Some people seem to assume that everything will be perfect now.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
The Falmer situation does not look "worse than ever". We could know by Christmas.

From an outsiders point of view it is going on and on and is no nearer a conclusion than this time last year. It may be over by Christmas but we thought that a year ago.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Re: Re: Re: Fear for the future

Trigger said:

Unlikely at present. He probably has about the same level of first team experience as Wilkins, but without the intimate local knowledge of our youngsters. Would have been nice;) ;)

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Re: Re: Re: Re: Fear for the future

Uncle C said:
Unlikely at present. He probably has about the same level of first team experience as Wilkins, but without the intimate local knowledge of our youngsters. Would have been nice;) ;)
He must return one day!!!

Saw him playing for Leeds on Sunday in the old Masters football, he's still got it!

:clap2:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Finchley Seagull said:
While many of you are delighted this morning, I really fear for the future of this club. Who are we going to attract as a new manager with the Falmer situation looking worst than ever.

The Falmer situation can be managed better if the team are performing on the park and the fans are entertained, it gives us all hope that we are not doomed on all fronts.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Managers do not really look to lengthy futures at clubs in the lower leagues anymore. If they can make a name of themselves in the short term then they can then look to the bigger clubs for better jobs. It's jsut how things work. I'm sure there will be a number of decent managers alerted by this news.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We will get lots of applications from good people im sure.

Were a league 1 side with huge potential despite our current situation, and there are plenty of people out of work.

Keep the Faith

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fear for the future

Trigger said:
He must return one day!!!

Saw him playing for Leeds on Sunday in the old Masters football, he's still got it!

:clap2:

Yep, and his son's a promising goalkeeper!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here