Favourite World Cup?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
David Coleman's report and commentary are absolutely sublime: here's a clip.

Brilliant. Love his use of the word 'stupid'. Perfect.

Well done to the ref for sending off a couple. If that had been Howard Webb he wouldn't have.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
For me 1994 when we weren't there. Romaina Argentina is my gretaest moment in world cup history. Slide rule pass from Hagi to Dumitrescu. What a tournament. Great stat for you too here. The only tournament where the only nil nil draw was the final. Take that home and smoke it. USAs first tournament, it was magnificent and yes, we weren't there.

Good shout.

22 years old, with very little to worry about. The matches were perfectly timed, one game before pub time, one game after. Used to watch most of it at a friend's flat on the seafront. Pop out for games on Hove lawns in the sunshine. Played 'Striker' on his SNES. Final was a disappointment but what a month. Didn't know what to do with myself afterwards.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Italia 90 as I was there.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He didn't break his nose. It was David who was knocked out (and sent off a few minutes later for the kung fu kick). The player who had his nose broken was Maschio, after another punch that the ref ignored.

Gwylan...I bow to your superior knowledge...There was so much going on I got confused ( not difficult at my age! )

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
English refs don't exactly cover themselves in glory at WC games: Ken Aston completely failed to keep control of that game, Graham Poll and his three yellow cards and Howard Webb losing control of the final. Thank god for Jack Taylor.

...and yet Ken Aston rose to the highest levels of the game ( must have been best mates with Sir Stanley Rous! ) Agree about Jack Taylor. Very few referees would have had the bollocks to award a penalty against the home side, in the first minute of a World Cup Final.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
1970 World Cup in Mexico, for some reason that one sticks in my mind more than any other.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'm amazed this has reached three pages and no-one's said 1966. I'll never forget the euphoria I felt at the final whistle. It was a pretty good tournament too: Eusabio's goals, North Korea beating Italy, that amazing Portugal/N Korea QF; the last decent Hungarian team, the last sight of Garrincha.

Hungary were really good in 66 and Florian Albert was a magnificent centre forward. I was surprised and disappointed when they got ' muscled out ' of the quarter-final by Russia.
Eusebio and Garrincha. I still salivate now at those two names. What would either be worth today? Eusebio was so good that he is still the all-time footballing legend in Portugal and Ronaldo may not surpass him. He was simply explosive.
Garrincha....wow...could beat men for fun, over and over again. Shunned the limelight and preferred to play with his mates on the beach or in the street. Didn't realise how much he was loved and how good he was. He played for fun. In his prime he was unstoppable. Like so many geniuses he was self-destructive.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I'm amazed this has reached three pages and no-one's said 1966. I'll never forget the euphoria I felt at the final whistle. It was a pretty good tournament too: Eusabio's goals, North Korea beating Italy, that amazing Portugal/N Korea QF; the last decent Hungarian team, the last sight of Garrincha.

Hungary were really good in 66 and Florian Albert was a magnificent centre forward. I was surprised and disappointed when they got ' muscled out ' of the quarter-final by Russia.
Eusebio and Garrincha. I still salivate now at those two names. What would either be worth today? Eusebio was so good that he is still the all-time footballing legend in Portugal and Ronaldo may not surpass him. He was simply explosive.
Garrincha....wow...could beat men for fun, over and over again. Shunned the limelight and preferred to play with his mates on the beach or in the street. Didn't realise how much he was loved and how good he was. He played for fun. In his prime he was unstoppable. Like so many geniuses he was self-destructive.

I was one year old, I can't remember it.:(

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I went to '98, '02 and '06 and while it's difficult to decide between them, I'll plump for Japan 2002, just a fantastic experience - . I kind of feel sorry for anyone embarking on a world cup visiting career now, in the 90s and 00s we had a load of tournaments that were in countries that were absolutely safe, really easy and reasonably cheap to travel to and around. I'm not sure that mix applies so well to South Africa and Brazil and certainly not Russia an Qatar.

I'm very much looking forward to France '16 as I think that will be the best tournament from a fan perspective in a generation.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Has to be Spain 82 - there were some amazing games.

Honourable mentions for Mexico 86 (in spite of the bloody awful picture and sound quality) and USA 94.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Italia 90

Now everyone talks about the boring football, but there were some great games and my Best of Italia 90 and Every Goal of Italia 90 are among the ten videos I still have

Oct 25, 2003
2002 for me

-bizarre kick off times meaning the occasional FOOTBALL BREAKFAST
-top performances by the host nations
-ridiculously passionate fans
-plenty controversy...roy keane quitting, rivaldo clutching his face, korea getting decisions in their favour etc.
-england looked alright
-senegal
-hakan sukers fastest world cup goal ever
-brazils front 3 of ronaldo, rivaldo, ronaldinho
-england beating argentina
-holders france imploding

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Where's the POLL ???

I enjoyed Germany 2006 the best.