• Nigella Lawson

• Rick Stein

• Marcus Wareing

• Gordon Ramsey

Results are only viewable after voting.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I really like his recipes, but cannot stand the way he comes across and therefore can't watch him on the TV without wanting to put my foot through the screen.
The same applies to Nigella Lawson - I just can't see why she sends so many blokes giddy. She's the cooking equivalent of Julian Clary with her OTT innuendo and knowing looks - GET OFF MY SCREEN YOU F***ING MORON.

Maybe it's just a Nigel thing? ???
Very much the same with Slater. His books really helped me learn to cook when I was a student but I can't deal with him on TV at all

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
kentucky-fried-chicken_c7b6e40e03.jpg

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I like John Torode. His TV series and book from Sydney to Seoul are both really good, especially the Korean section. So much so that I went out and bought all the ingredients to recreate the wonderful Korean dishes. Unfortunately, they remain virtually untouched, in the cupboard, to this day.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Grumpy old git incoming,

Although the question was best TV chefs, I do appreciate everyone telling me about whose restaurant they've eaten in and who does the best cookbooks :facepalm:

But on the actual subject of TV chefs, is it really only me who finds the whole concept of TV chefs, where you can see what they are doing and saying, but not smell it or taste any aspect of it, a little strange ? Fun though Nigella is on TV in black rubber gloves 'marinating' plump juicy chicken thighs with her 'spices' would you really trust her to be capable of poaching an egg? I'm guessing that also having a mate who used to work photographing food for various organisations developing and selling food and cook books I have a fair idea how edible a lot of this stuff is :wink:

So for this alone, which is exactly what I would do if I was chairman of the Albion, it's Delia for me

Aren't you glad we've got Tone :wink:

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Keith Floyd

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Marcus Wareing is the best chef on that list

Keith Floyd is the best TV cookery type person

He was a better chef than most of them too.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I took part in one of his Floyd on fish programmes.

The man was an arrogant, nasty, bully.

He nearly reduced his assistant to tears, so much so, that the Royal Marine Corporal on our course was going to take him to one side and forcibly explain that you don’t treat people that way.
I heard a similar story from a cameraman who worked on a programme with him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Larousse
Silver Spoon
Thai food - David Thompson
1000 recipe Chinese - Gloria Miller
Hashi - Hashimoto

Yours?
Good question. I have a bunch of books which are more for the restaurant history and philosophy than their recipes. Favourites are The Book of St John, FREA (a zero waste restaurant and bakery in my neighborhood which riffs off Silo - formally of Brighton now Hackney) and Black Axe Mangel by Lee Tiernan. I have actually made the pickle back juice from this book.

Two books I use regularly are Jack Monroe’s A Year in 120 Recipes. This is superb for post-work simple quick but tasty recipes. Her puttanesca, in particular, is has been cooked numerous times and takes me 20 mins all in using dried pasta. It’s a real slap in the face of salty, fishy, chili, garlicky, olivey, capery loveliness. If I’m in the mood and have time the pasta machine comes out. Another is a random book, simply called Pasta, by Anna Del Conte and Eric Treuille. This must be 20 years plus and is filthy now. Again lots of simple but great recipes. My favourite in here is a spaghetti, scallops and breadcrumb dish.

What I use the most though, is a ring folder with numerous recipes I have printed off from various sources over years. This includes all sorts from dishes I’ve used in marathon training to civiche to fridge cakes to stews.

We mainly cook during the week post work, and just for ourselves; convenience is the main driver. I actually find it a really nice way to unwind after work.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I was once a judge in The Great British Chip competition, staged at Brian Turner's restaurant in Kensington. Spent an afternoon trying different potatoes that Turner had cooked in different oils to determine which made the best chip, and drinking a lot of his sauvignon blanc too.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I was once a judge in The Great British Chip competition, staged at Brian Turner's restaurant in Kensington. Spent an afternoon trying different potatoes that Turner had cooked in different oils to determine which made the best chip, and drinking a lot of his sauvignon blanc too.
Interesting. And can you remember the winning combination? I'd hazard a guess at Maris Piper in beef fat.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I voted for Rick Stein as I enjoy the travel aspect of his programmes...his Secret France series was great. Im not into the ones which are purely about the cooking tbh - give me some scenery and travel as well.

She may not be on TV now, but ex GBBO contestant Lottie Bedlow does some seriously funny videos on social media, while also doing some really good dishes.

video-60ecb2b8b72530001de92c95-firAjx3BK-EUXi_oSeS-no-wm-thumbnail.0000000.jpg.7530b5c5b78969c...jpg

Plus shes a local lass, and I fancy the pants off her.

Reactions: A1X

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports