Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Tea

What is your favourite tea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Once I get into work I begin the day with a pukka tea. Got several different flavours to choose from. The rest of the day its bog standard Tetley.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
So what's better, in your opinion?

Luaka Ceylon Tea is clearly best if you drink tea without milk. If you put milk in it doesn't matter very much. Twinings is best otherwise but not Everyday. Darjeelin' is OK but not strong at all. Keemun used to be very good. Twinings Breakfast Tea is better than Everyday.

Huge variations depending on crops. Some years all teas will be OK, and in half the years Twinings is the best bet. Earl Grey is a bit of a con when the perfume wears off. Lapsang works after curries. Taste of Lapsang is not for all and not for breakfast.

I find all the fairtrade teas to be poor enough to be undrinkable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Luaka Ceylon Tea is clearly best if you drink tea without milk. If you put milk in it doesn't matter very much. Twinings is best otherwise but not Everyday. Darjeelin' is OK but not strong at all. Keemun used to be very good. Twinings Breakfast Tea is better than Everyday.

Huge variations depending on crops. Some years all teas will be OK, and in half the years Twinings is the best bet. Earl Grey is a bit of a con when the perfume wears off. Lapsang works after curries. Taste is not for all and not for breakfast.
Difficult to tell if you're being serious or not.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A client from Sri Lanka today left me a box of Finest Selection of Dilmah tea, so I'm looking forward to sampling that. I'm fed up of instant coffee.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A client from Sri Lanka today left me a box of Finest Selection of Dilmah tea, so I'm looking forward to sampling that.
Make sure you make it properly.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
A client from Sri Lanka today left me a box of Finest Selection of Dilmah tea, so I'm looking forward to sampling that. I'm fed up of instant coffee.

I have been to the factory, very interesting.
After the tour we was taken to a room where an old Tamil lady had an ancient battered old urn full of hot spring water from the local spring.
Just tea and hot water and it was the sweetest cup of tea I have ever drunk.
Most of the brands we drink is the dust swept up off the floor, proper tea is much larger than the'leaves' we get, if you go to a shop that sells a variety of quality teas in boxes you will see the difference.
Off the shelf it is Yorkshire for me.
I tried Cornish tea the other day( it is actually grown in Cornwall) and it was not bad at all, apparently the warm, moist climate is similar to Darjeeling.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Most of the brands we drink is the dust swept up off the floor
No it isn't.
proper tea is much larger than the'leaves' we get, if you go to a shop that sells a variety of quality teas in boxes you will see the difference.
What you get in a common black tea bag are tea leaf cuttings, that have oxidised. They are cut up finely so that the tea can brew quickly, even when contained in a small bag.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No it isn't.
What you get in a common black tea bag are tea leaf cuttings, that have oxidised. They are cut up finely so that the tea can brew quickly, even when contained in a small bag.

What about loose leaf tea, from the regular brands that's small as well.

Only quoting what I was told on the tour.
There is always a chance he was lying

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What about loose leaf tea, from the regular brands that's small as well.
If you get green tea from regular brands it might be larger (I don't drink much green). The leaves used to create black, green and yellow tea are the same, but they've been treated differently. The black tea leaves are oxidised the most, which is when they turn the darker colour. To make this happen the leaves are damaged. Green tea requires the leaves to have less oxidisation, so the leaf is damaged less. Otherwise I guess the size you end up with is down to the personal preference of each manufacturer.

Only quoting what I was told on the tour.
I know, I've heard it before, but it's an urban myth. 96% of the tea drunk in the UK is in tea-bags - that would be a lot of dust. Tea is obviously produced professionally on a large scale, and the tea is not wasted. The idea that there's a load of tea-flavoured dust on the floor is mad.

I love my tea and have been on one of these masterclasses to learn about it:
http://www.janepettigrew.com/masterclass

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Good to see EG getting the plaudits it deserves, just a shame the bags lose their potency so quickly, even in an airtight caddy.

Much as I love tea, Earl Grey really is pointless. Bit like drinking Mellow Birds coffee for those who remember it, very little flavour, just a cup of grey water probably with skimmed milk making the liquid appear almost see through. A glass of water has more oomph to it! :lol:

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yorkshire!

Whilst I like a brew that packs a punch, Yorkshire tastes so dry and rough on the tongue due to the high concentration of tanin that it leaves a residue akin to drinking a very cheap bottle of red wine!

Usually PG for me, or if available a Twinings Assam.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Another vote for Thompsons Punjana closely follow by Kenyan.
Least favourite must be Lapsang souchong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here