Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite quotes.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.”
― Sheng Wang

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm sure Kemy Augustein would have some quotes to contribute.
You normally get a quote a day from Kemy on Twitter.

"I gotta take care of my people. I gotta return favor to my mums!!! Thats the pressure right there. Thats real life"

Deep stuff!

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Oh, yeah. Bloody hell. I'm sweating in here. Roasting. Boiling. Baking. Sweltering. It's like a sauna. Furnace. You can fry an egg on my stomach. Ohh, who wouldn't lap this up? It's ridiculous.
Tremendous. Fantastic. Fan-dabby-dozy-tastic.

Gal Dove (Ray Winstone)
Sexy Beast

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Lady to Sir Winston Churchill (I think it might have been Lady Astor)
"sir if you were my husband I would poison you"
Churchill replied
"Madam I were your husband I would take it"

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Sorry if is a bit obvious but this blew me away when I first saw the 'Napalm Scene' in Apocalypse Now:

Colonel Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?

Lance: What?

Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.

[kneels]

Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like

[sniffing, pondering]

Kilgore: victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

[suddenly walks off]

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
"The bank - the monster has to have profits all the time. It can't wait. It'll die. No, taxes go on. When the monster stops growing, it dies. It can't stay one size." Steinbeck writing about banks, capitalism and the hurt they do to the poor, Grapes of Wrath - 1939!! Always struck me as incredible forsight....

Steinbeck = legend. Grapes of Wrath = wonderful book

But hardly incredible foresight. Banks were invented to rip off the poor and make their owners richer. They've been doing it for hundreds of years and it's not a new phenomenon.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Lady to Sir Winston Churchill (I think it might have been Lady Astor)
"sir if you were my husband I would poison you"
Churchill replied
"Madam I were your husband I would take it"

Similarly ...

"Sir, you're drunk!"

"Madam you're ugly, but in the morning I'll be sober!"

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

But hardly incredible foresight. Banks were invented to rip off the poor and make their owners richer. They've been doing it for hundreds of years and it's not a new phenomenon.

Fair point - I think I last read it in about 2010, I just resonated so well with the time - The banks screwing the poor, people being forced to leave their homes, having to move away from their loved ones to survive - 75 years on and that's where we're at....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Indeed.

How about Brecht's "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the founding of one?" Written about 10 years before Grapes of Wrath and equally appropriate today

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Doubt it's from a book but one quote that makes me chuckle but rings incredibly true, in relation to lusting after someone:

"Yes, she may be good looking, funny and attractive but I assure you, some guy somewhere is sick of her sh*t".

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness.I am kind to everyone,but when someone is unkind to me,weak is not what you are going to remember about me"

Alfonso Capone`s biography ? do they count ?

A couple from "the Thick Of It"

Malcolm Tucker:
How dare you. How dare you! Don't ever, ever call me a bully. I'm so much worse than that.

Peter Mannion: Sorry darling, I have to go - I think the bailiffs are coming to take away my will to live.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness.I am kind to everyone,but when someone is unkind to me,weak is not what you are going to remember about me"

Alfonso Capone`s biography ? do they count ?

I like that

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
"Parlabane loved the word proactive because it immediately identified the user as an irredeemable ********" - Quite Ugly One Morning by Christopher Brookmeyer

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
If I should die, think only this of me; there is a corner of some foreign field that is forever England - Rupert Brooke (killed 1915)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here