Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Football Quotes

Capricorn

Aug 14, 2010
Perth, Australia
I'm sure this thread has been done to death in the history of North Stand Chat and prior to that, but I haven't seen it recently :thumbsup:
So what is your favourite football quote. There are some pretty funny ones from some players like Beckhams:
"I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet."

But the best ones in my opinion are the serious ones:
(Obviously) "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."- Bill Shankly

But i've just come across this one, which I think is brilliant:
"To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink."- J.B. Preistley

Your Favourite?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've always liked Peter Crouch's response to the question: "What would you be if you weren't a footballer?"

"A virgin"

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Walter Smith "if one thing is certain, it's that football is guaranteed to let you down"

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
An oldie but goodie (and I'm probably paraphrasing!) - "People tell me Rome wasn't built in a day. But then, I wasn't on that particular job" Brian Clough

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Don't know about quotes, but I've heard some quality commentating. Two of my favourites:

"There's Seaman all over the pitch"

and about Phillip Lahm:

"He's wandering round like a lost sheep out there!"
"That was a baaaaaaaad joke."

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Cloughie alone offered up so many, but my 2 favourites, are:

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one. "

"If a player disagrees with me, I talk to him for 20 minutes, then we agree that I was right."

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm sure this thread has been done to death in the history of North Stand Chat and prior to that, but I haven't seen it recently :thumbsup:
So what is your favourite football quote. There are some pretty funny ones from some players like Beckhams:
"I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet."

But the best ones in my opinion are the serious ones:
(Obviously) "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."- Bill Shankly

But i've just come across this one, which I think is brilliant:
"To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink."- J.B. Preistley

Your Favourite?

If there is one thing more than anything else that really pisses me off is when the dumb old shankly quote is trotted out. How fitting that the most inappropriate quote about a sport was made by a manager of Liverpool. I'm not blaming Shankly, he didn't know any better at the time, but journalists who use it now use it knowing about Bradford, Heysel and Hillsborough.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"They're the second best team in the world right now, there's no higher praise than that"

- Kevin Keegan

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"The good news for Nigeria is that they're two-nil down very early in the game"

- Kevin Keegan

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
In some ways cramp is worse than having a broken leg - Kevin Keegan

Julian Dicks is everywhere - its like they've got eleven dicks on the field - Alan Parry

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
My favourite is Stevie Gerrard when asked when the world cup kicked off…."when wayne rooney's mum gets here"

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
"Nicholas Anelka - 24 years of age but he's been around a lot longer than that" - Kevin Keegan

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
“The 33 or 34-year-olds will be 36 or 37 by the time the next World Cup comes around, if they’re not careful.” - Kevin Keegan

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"I never make predictions and I never will." - Paul Gascoigne

"I've got a contract with United until 2010, but my future belongs to God." - Christiano Ronaldo

"He (Newcastle manager Graeme Souness) has just gone behind my back in front of my face." - Craig Bellamy

"Well, Clive, it's all about the two M's - movement and positioning." - Ron Atkinson

"I tell you what, if the Cameroons get a goal back here they're literally going to catch on fire." - Ron Atkinson

"I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel" - Stuart Pearce

"You can't play with a one-armed goalkeeper - not at this level" - Kevin Keegan

I got a fantastic reception from the crowd here at Upton Park - and why shouldn't I? Now I'm looking forward to getting one off the wife. Reception I mean. I'm too old for all that kind of stuff." - Harry Redknapp

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
eees complicated

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
"Welcome to pre-season training gentlemen THIS IS BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION FC, not good old Brighton, forget all you've heard about this being a fun club to play for, we want ONLY professional players here who want to WIN, not to go nightclubbing or sitting at the beach cafes watching the totty, if you fall into that catergory please f*** OFF now. Do not expect an easy ride here, this club wants only 'winners', if feel this is beyond you, leave now and for those of you who are 'big' enough to stay, enjoy the pain it will make you stronger, fitter, faster and more skillful that the opposition - now first up the 10 mile run, pass time 1 hour 10 minutes GO!"

- Russell Slade

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here