Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Favourite Fish

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I love all seafood, I don't really have a favourite will just choose whatever I fancy as I like them all.
But there is one particular dish that deserves a mention.
An Aussie owns a relaxed restaurant with rooms to stay in right on Porthminster beach, St Ives.
He serves up a Monkfish curry that is out of this world.
Now I don't usually eat fish with anything strong as you can't taste the fish, it has to be subtle, but this dish is so popular that when he took it off the menu to serve different dishes the town boycotted his restaurant until he put it back on again.
Just to be a bit different, smoked eel or potted shrimps are very nice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had mackerel (two ways: seared and tartar) and a smoked eel carbonara for pre match....if this helps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But, as a seafood lover I really couldn’t tell you my favourite

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I had mackerel (two ways: seared and tartar) and a smoked eel carbonara for pre match....if this helps.

Mackerel is the one fish that always gives me a problem.
I love Mackerel but there are millions of them out there, I catch them by the hundreds every summer down here, huge shoals right close in.
They are the cheapest fish to buy so when I see a Mackerel dish that is over £8 on a menu I don't order it out of principal that fish probably cost that restaurant about a pound maybe less.
Turbot on the other hand is an entirely different thing altogether.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
When living in Greece my favourite was very fresh bbq Octopus absolutely gorgeous. As soon as fish smells anything like fish it’s only fit for the cat. Growing up my mother used to cook fresh sprats fried and coated in flour and salt and pepper served with fresh bread which I enjoyed immensely.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dover Sole (where can you get it now?)
Haddock (unsmoked)
Trout (unsmoked)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
never understood why they call it sea bass

probably Dover Sole

Mackerel very underrated fresh

bass (n.1)

freshwater fish, c. 1400 corruption of Middle English baers, from Old English bærs "a fish, perch," from Proto-Germanic base *bars- "sharp" (source also of Middle Dutch baerse, Middle High German bars, German Barsch "perch," German barsch "rough"), from PIE root *bhar- "point, bristle" (see bristle (n.)). The fish was so called for its dorsal fins. For loss of -r-, see ass (n.2).

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't eat much fish but quite like atlantic salmon.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The man-gobbler, also known as the football fish, manages to combine two of my favourite things in one package. She also comes with a whip which you can make use of if the situation seems propitious. It’s true that the female of the species is not much to look at, but I imagine she’s fairly low maintenance. Winner winner chicken dinner.

C40F8BCF-8AC7-4812-BE95-7B8AF9E141C5.jpeg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I like all seafood including shellfish. I like Huss from the local fish & chip shop, but have also got into Basa from the supermarket.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Mackerel is the one fish that always gives me a problem.
I love Mackerel but there are millions of them out there, I catch them by the hundreds every summer down here, huge shoals right close in.
They are the cheapest fish to buy so when I see a Mackerel dish that is over £8 on a menu I don't order it out of principal that fish probably cost that restaurant about a pound maybe less.
Turbot on the other hand is an entirely different thing altogether.

Mackerel is a very good fish to have on your summer menu, it's abundance helps but it is always very popular. It's very beautiful too, which makes presentation a cinch. We had it on the menu with hash browns and samphire, for less than 8 quid!
Anyway, more of a bivalve than a fish, but can I have mussels as my favourite?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Atlantic/North Sea Cod. Until you cannot/rarely get it you really do not realise how bloody lovely it is. Big, firm, white flakes with a delicate rather than overpowering flavour. Over here we have ‘cod’, but it ain’t a patch on the battered chip shop UK variety.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Turbot , luckily we have a good run of them close inshore where i live and i don't have to pay £15 a pound for it , lovely tasting flatfish .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here