Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

favorite sports journalist

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Young and upcoming Sports writer in the Telegraph: Rory Smith.
A lot of journalists predicting he will be chief Sports writer of Telegraph one day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Paul Kimmage. The Sunday Times.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
marcotti in the times is excellent - his column that deals with the continent in the game is absolutely brilliant

bethnalgreenblue

Feb 9, 2011
Bethnal Green, London
Paul Hayward, Richard Williams and Matt Scott (yes, Guardian bias here).

Scott's Digger column is proper investigative sports journalism - I'd like to think it stops many an unscrupulous director or chairman sleeping at night, but alas, I doubt it does.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Forgetting the fact he is Albion, Paul Hayward is class. Most journalists could learn a lot from him including Henry bloody Winter who, if he had the chance, would write about himself every day.

I do also really like Sam Wallace of the Independent whenever I have read his articles or heard him on TV or the radio. He talks a lot of sense for quite a young guy.

On the flip side, the disgusting Rob Shepherd has to be the worst?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hayward and Samuel for me.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I used to love Giles Smith's Sport on TV column in The Times. Really funny writer.

Of the more traditional journalists, Paul Hayward or Jim White. Don't really get the admiration for Henry Winter - Premier League only.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Harry Pearson (more of a sports Columnist I suppose) in The Grauniad
:bhasign:
:bhasign:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Shaun Custis

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Gabriele Marcotti

Can be arrogant and condescending but he know his sh*t and combines football knowledge with a wider perspective - historical/political.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Hayward is a cut above the others for me. Mike Selvey is excellent on the cricket. In terms of columnists haven't seen Matthew Norman doing sport for a while. Brilliant and very funny journalist.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Paul Hayward in the Guardian. Sublime. More than makes up for that dreadful pratt Conn.

Conn seems to be in love with, Conn.
Thinks he's the new Hugh McIlveny (a legend).

Ian McGarry also a wa*ker. Very spiteful, and seems to wish ill on many clubs. BBC5Live include him on their panels. Don't know why when some class journalists out there.

As opposed to the calm, cerebral Henry Winter, Matthew Syed, & others.
Brian Reade brilliant too. A true fan and a positive person.
Gabriel Marcotti and Graham Hunter great. Not bias to english viewpoint, and have true inside contacts at major clubs, unlike the lies or guessing of McGarry & others.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Leaving aside Nick Szczepanik and Paul Hayward (who are obviously the best as they're Brighton fans) it would have to be Rod Liddle. Sticks up for small clubs and fans generally and has had a lot of nice things to say about us. Honourable mention for Martin Samuel. None of the rest are worth a wank.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Paul Hayward - effortless, and a top bloke as well. Samuel, Marcotti, Barclay, Liddle (I know, but you always want to read it), Harry Pearson - his book The Top Far Corner is my favourite football book.

Worst- Matthew Syed. Ignorant and superficial. Don't get me started ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here