Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fave Bus Routes in Brighton & Hove

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It was better when it was the 60 from Mile Oak to the Old Steine and there was a separate service to Whitehawk. Running buses across the busy city centre simply causes them to get stuck in traffic and become unreliable.

Yes indeed. Truncating the 25 route on a Monday to Friday is probably a good example of this. The full length of the route from Palmeira Square now operating as the 25X, and running limited stop along the Lewes Road to speed up journey times, and the original 25 now just running from the Old Steine to the Universities.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I like the 25 from The Old Steine as the quickest and easiest way to get to the Amex. for me. Wife and I use our Old Coggers Bus Pass a lot and have done the Thursday Haywards Heath to Eastbourne a few times.

Slightly OT I know but an old friend of mine, sadly no longer with us, used his pass to go from Guildford to Exeter and back went with his tent and had about 3 days in Exeter. took him 2 days each way I think it was.

Even more off topic, I recently read a book written by a guy who used his disabled bus pass to travel from Lands End to John O'Groats. Facinating reading actually, took him just over three weeks with the odd day off, and didn't cost him a penny!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Which bus used to go all around Willow Way in Hurstpierpoint? It was either the 171, 172 or 173. Used to like buses that took time-consuming detours (729 through Isfield always seemed fairly pointless in terms of picking up/setting down), but I'm no longer a fan.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Slightly OT I know but an old friend of mine, sadly no longer with us, used his pass to go from Guildford to Exeter and back went with his tent and had about 3 days in Exeter. took him 2 days each way I think it was.

One of my future plans, when I get my pensioners' bus pass, is to travel up to Yorkshire for free. I have a few years to go yet but have already started thinking about the route. I have friends scattered along the way so I'll be crashing at people's houses.

For those interested in bus journeys, this book's worth a read

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Brit...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472996458&sr=1-4

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was better when it was the 60 from Mile Oak to the Old Steine and there was a separate service to Whitehawk. Running buses across the busy city centre simply causes them to get stuck in traffic and become unreliable.

Mrs G and I were talking about this the other day and, as a former transport planner, you could possibly through some light on it. Why do many Brighton bus services run up North St to Churchill Sq?

I appreciate that it's a popular destination but so is the beach, and very few go along Kings Rd. And Old Shoreham Road is surely under-used too. Last time I was on North St, there were nine buses in a line - the pollution along there must be terrible.
All it do

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mrs G and I were talking about this the other day and, as a former transport planner, you could possibly through some light on it. Why do many Brighton bus services run up North St to Churchill Sq?

I appreciate that it's a popular destination but so is the beach, and very few go along Kings Rd. And Old Shoreham Road is surely under-used too. Last time I was on North St, there were nine buses in a line - the pollution along there must be terrible.
All it do

I have often wondered why some do not run from The Old Steine along the front and then up West St but it could be that it is a difficult left turn at the traffic lights. Similarly why do some coming from Western Rd not turn right at the lights and go to the sea front especially the buses that go along the coast and go straight over the roundabout by the pier.

Jul 7, 2003
It was the 107 under Southdown, and indeed remained so for quite a few years after the Stagecoach takeover, until the change to the 17 ten or so years ago I would guess.

In fact until the change to the 17 it had quite a complicated working, operating as a 107 between Brighton and Horsham, and then becoming a number 2 from Horsham to Worthing. Returning to Horsham as a 2, and then, you guessed it, back to Brighton as a 107 again. Everyone asleep yet? Jolly good!

Although as you say, comparitively few people seem to join/leave the bus along the Partridge Green 'loop', the village does have a fairly sizeable population, and being off the main A281 would be completely stranded public transport wise, without the deviation of the 17..

As a mid-Sussex resident and fan of convoluted bus routes, you will no doubt appreciate the majesty that is the Compass Route 100. Any sane person putting on a bus service linking Burgess Hill to Horsham would probably look at something simple - Burgess Hill, Bolney, Cowfold and then via Mannings Heath to Horsham. It is around 17 miles using this route.

The 100 takes a somewhat more alternative route which takes over two and half hours to get between Burgess Hill and Horsham!

It starts in Burgess Hill and then goes Hickstead, Albourne, Woodmancote, Henfield, Small Dole, Upper Beeding, Bramber, Steyning, Washington, Storrington, Pulborough (where there is a 5 minute break in the journey), Adversane, Billingshurst, Slinfold, Broadbridge Heath and then finally Horsham.

Not the most direct route but a picturesque trip across the South Downs and potentially a fine long distance pub crawl around the country pubs of mid-Sussex.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I have often wondered why some do not run from The Old Steine along the front and then up West St but it could be that it is a difficult left turn at the traffic lights. Similarly why do some coming from Western Rd not turn right at the lights and go to the sea front especially the buses that go along the coast and go straight over the roundabout by the pier.

As a regular user of the 12 services the 2 stops in North Street east bound are usually very busy . My guess would be at least 10 folk waiting to board at each stop, lots more at evening rush. If buses went down West street all would have to go up to Churchill Square or down to the Aquarium sorry Sea Life Centre

Having said that in the summer at heavy traffic times the 12 & 14 services are often terminated at Old Steine and the moans from people at Churchill Square are so bad that they have to put an inspector and police person to quell the anger!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It starts in Burgess Hill and then goes Hickstead, Albourne, Woodmancote, Henfield, Small Dole, Upper Beeding, Bramber, Steyning, Washington, Storrington, Pulborough (where there is a 5 minute break in the journey), Adversane, Billingshurst, Slinfold, Broadbridge Heath and then finally Horsham.

Not the most direct route but a picturesque trip across the South Downs and potentially a fine long distance pub crawl around the country pubs of mid-Sussex.

It looks a great route but, like so many rural Sussex services, it doesn't run on a Sunday. I've been looking at ways to get to Pulborough rugby club (which, confusingly, is in Storrington) by public transport and it's proving to be an impossible task

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here