Fat Boy Slim ---gig

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Just got this from the club.

To clarify - Southern & British Transport Police have closed access to the train station after 10pm on both evenings until after the last train has left, about 00:30. This is because they are both concerned that thousands of people will descend on the station at 23:00 after the show expecting to back to London etc. The station will still be open for people wishing to get off a train but there will be no access to the station after 10pm.

Southern will be updating their website very soon.

I can only suggest that people wish to use the train from the East of the County travel into Brighton and catch the number 25 bus out to the stadium and then do the reverse journey to get home.

I trust this clarifies the situation.

Kind regards

Sally Townsend
Customer Services Manager

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

To clarify - Southern & British Transport Police have closed access to the train station after 10pm on both evenings until after the last train has left, about 00:30. This is because they are both concerned that thousands of people will descend on the station at 23:00 after the show expecting to back to London etc. The station will still be open for people wishing to get off a train but there will be no access to the station after 10pm.

I can only suggest that people wish to use the train from the East of the County travel into Brighton and catch the number 25 bus out to the stadium and then do the reverse journey to get home.

Kind regards

Sally Townsend

Isn't the whole purpose of the station so 1000's can travel? How will people get back to London then?

Quite bizarre.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
But the station copes with thousands of people at the same time after every home game. So the explanation makes no sense at all. Other than that somebody is refusing to pay to staff it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Me again. I'm just utterly bemused by this. So, in summary, the railway station is closed because they know thousands of people will want to use it. I know they do this with the nearest tube station at far bigger concerts in London but that's totally different as there are loads of other options... Am I missing something obvious here or is this just madness? Only in Britain.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Kind regards

Sally Townsend

If the trains cannot cope how the hell does she expect the number 25 bus to cope? FFS.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Kind regards

Sally Townsend

Jesus f***ing christ. This is Britain all over. A challenge presents itself so we bottle it. Absolutely bottle it. No mountain is ever too low for this nation. Bunch of f***ing bottling shitters. Rise to the challenge you bunch of lilly livered *****.

Words f***ing fail me. Why not hire some stewards and control numbers onto the platform? It works for football so why not a these gigs.

You can pretty much guarantee no other gigs will us the AMEX after this. What fool of a promoter wants a venue which no one can get home from?

What sort of f***ing idiots work in the rail industry and the police? Rhetorical question.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But the station copes with thousands of people at the same time after every home game. So the explanation makes no sense at all. Other than that somebody is refusing to pay to staff it.

It does not make any sense. And if anything the departure of the gig will be a lot more staggered.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Perhaps we should stick to holding football matches this has carnage written all over it!!

That said at those prices you might well fit everyone going in a taxi

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have just been talking to a chum who went to the Defcon 1 dance festival in Holland; a festival for 60,000 on a beach 30 mins outside Amsterdam in the middle of nowhere. They had no station, so, they built a temporary station/halt specifically for the event. 60k using a temporary station. We already have a sodding station yet we cannot run a single f***ing trains through it. I wonder what the dutch would make of our retarded approach? Southern, BTP, f***ing retards.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Kind regards

Sally Townsend

That really is pathetic, and where exactly are these thousands of people expected to descend instead,the bus stop! How is this different from organising the football crowds? Surely these will be the only concerts at the Amex. It is an utter farce and Southern and BTP should hang their heads in shame.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
f*** it, I'll just book a cab back to burgess. Feel sorry for anyone coming from further away, I bet alot of people bin it off early and get the train - especially if the weather's shit

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I have just been talking to a chum who went to the Defcon 1 dance festival in Holland; a festival for 60,000 on a beach 30 mins outside Amsterdam in the middle of nowhere. They had no station, so, they built a temporary station/halt specifically for the event. 60k using a temporary station. We already have a sodding station yet we cannot run a single f***ing trains through it. I wonder what the dutch would make of our retarded approach? Southern, BTP, f***ing retards.

Dutch railways are not a privatised business so the taxpayer would have funded it, who will pay for the extra trains, staff, stewards etc for the FBS gig ? Remembering that no one wants to buy a ticket to the football matches at Falmer the club have had to add it onto the season ticket prices so why didn't the promoters liase with the railway and ensure the transport was funded for its customers ?

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Hi, had further correspondence with the club on this, here is Richard Hebberd's reply. Looks like there will be plenty of buses, instead of trains after the gig.

"Sally has forwarded your email to me.

The situation with the trains is that Southern and British Transport Police have decided that the station should be closed after the concert on safety grounds. On a match day we have nearly 40 extra carriages and two extra trains operating from Falmer Station. On the nights of the concert, Southern are unable logistically to provide these extra carriages because of commitments to the Derby and various Jubilee events. Without the extra carriages they would be unable to clear all those wishing to travel by train. This would leave a number of people still waiting at 12.30am without a train.

We are providing an extra 38 buses (including bendies) to take people back in Brighton after the concert. This has been discussed at length with the transport agencies, safety advisory group and promoters. We are leaving the stadium open after the concert finishes to allow people to wait for the first rush to clear. Brighton and Hove Buses estimate that they will be able to move all those wanting to get back to Brighton within the hour. We will also be running buses to Lewes.

Best Wishes

Richard"

Richard Hebberd

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dutch railways are not a privatised business so the taxpayer would have funded it, who will pay for the extra trains, staff, stewards etc for the FBS gig ? Remembering that no one wants to buy a ticket to the football matches at Falmer the club have had to add it onto the season ticket prices so why didn't the promoters liase with the railway and ensure the transport was funded for its customers ?

All we are asking for is the scheduled trains which will be stopping to let people off at an existing station will also let people on. No extra trains, no extra carriages and no temporary train station.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hi, had further correspondence with the club on this, here is Richard Hebberd's reply. Looks like there will be plenty of buses, instead of trains after the gig.

"Sally has forwarded your email to me.

The situation with the trains is that Southern and British Transport Police have decided that the station should be closed after the concert on safety grounds. On a match day we have nearly 40 extra carriages and two extra trains operating from Falmer Station. On the nights of the concert, Southern are unable logistically to provide these extra carriages because of commitments to the Derby and various Jubilee events. Without the extra carriages they would be unable to clear all those wishing to travel by train. This would leave a number of people still waiting at 12.30am without a train.

We are providing an extra 38 buses (including bendies) to take people back in Brighton after the concert. This has been discussed at length with the transport agencies, safety advisory group and promoters. We are leaving the stadium open after the concert finishes to allow people to wait for the first rush to clear. Brighton and Hove Buses estimate that they will be able to move all those wanting to get back to Brighton within the hour. We will also be running buses to Lewes.

Best Wishes

Richard"

Richard Hebberd

It will be interesting to see how that works, it may also be decent test run for extra buses after the football. I feel a bit sorry for the club as they appear to have been stitched up, (unless they were aware of this in the beginning). Still at least they are trying to do something about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports