Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fast forward 1 year...

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
That's a good idea!! Lets drop down a division, loose lots of money, probably lots of players but at least will have a nice shiny trophy to show for it!

What are you, some sort of clown??

Lets not forget how far we've come. Relegation from the premiership would probably be predicted at the start of the season. I don't think u can put a price on Brighton's name on the FA cup and a place in Europe. That is the stuff dreams are made of, not finishing 17th.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Lets not forget how far we've come. Relegation from the premiership would probably be predicted at the start of the season. I don't think u can put a price on Brighton's name on the FA cup and a place in Europe. That is the stuff dreams are made of, not finishing 17th.

Look at the likes of Wolves... and no doubt QPR next season, You take the drop loose the good players because wage demands wont be met and all of a sudden you a struggling for promotion again, no thanks!! Would honestly take 17th and build upon it year after year like a swansea, fulham, west brom

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm comfortable with the possibility of our doing a West Brom, and bouncing between the two divisions for a while until establishing ourselves in the Premier League. Don't spend silly money and endanger the future. Just steady, incremental gains over a few seasons. Plus, there are worse things than being in the Championship, which has been damned entertaining the last two seasons.

Therefore, I'd like a nice silver pot and a place in the history books.

I think Brighton makes a more attractive proposition for new players and outside investment. We should try to avoid relegation at all costs and aim for stability. If teams like Swansea can do that in their first season in the top tier, we could manage it too.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
I think Brighton makes a more attractive proposition for new players and outside investment. We should try to avoid relegation at all costs and aim for stability. If teams like Swansea can do that in their first season in the top tier, we could manage it too.

Yep, and Southampton?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
League every time now. Premiership is financially stratospheric compared to what the former Division 1 was. And who is to say we ever get back..... like last time.

FA cup is only a quick hit. League is the proper addiction

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Look at the likes of Wolves... and no doubt QPR next season, You take the drop loose the good players because wage demands wont be met and all of a sudden you a struggling for promotion again, no thanks!! Would honestly take 17th and build upon it year after year like a swansea, fulham, west brom

Have some faith in the running of our club. We would not allow ourselves to get into the state of QPR and Wolves.

Interesting that u mention West Brom... They had several relegations and promotions before establishing themselves in the top flight. Would they not have taken an FA cup win in one of those seasons?

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Have some faith in the running of our club. We would not allow ourselves to get into the state of QPR and Wolves.

Interesting that u mention West Brom... They had several relegations and promotions before establishing themselves in the top flight. Would they not have taken an FA cup win in one of those seasons?

You seem to be very keen on the whole europe thing... What is the attraction in playing 3rd rate clubs that nobody has ever heard off?
We're not chelsea or man utd traveling to likes of bayern munich or barcelona!
A trophy can wait for a few more seasons as far as im concerned, I would rather BHA were an establishe prem league club first

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yup the cup really means little to clubs these days, but surely as fans, days out at Wembley, semi-finals, finals etc. is what you remember - we're still talking about Wembley '83, and we didn't even win. No-one says "I remember the day we drew at Stoke and finished 17th in the league", do they.

Dandyman

In London village.
FA Cup. It's a trophy. That's what football was invented for. To win things. Although I wouldn't want us to splash millions on players like Pompey did...

And if you spend the parachute payments wisely you'd expect to be challenging for promotion again. I fully expect Wigan (if they go down), QPR and Reading to be pushing for automatic promotion.

If you mess it up like wolves and Blackburn by pissing around with managers then it's your own fault. Both with the right managers should have at least been in the playoffs.

This. The FA are doing their best to destroy the FA Cup as a trophy as it's a distraction from the same small group of clubs making themselves (or rather their owners) ever richer. I don't want us to collude in that.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
You seem to be very keen on the whole europe thing... What is the attraction in playing 3rd rate clubs that nobody has ever heard off?
We're not chelsea or man utd traveling to likes of bayern munich or barcelona!
A trophy can wait for a few more seasons as far as im concerned, I would rather BHA were an establishe prem league club first

Of course! Seeing Brighton play in Europe would be a dream fulfilled. I don't know any fan who wouldn't be excited by that prospect. Except you perhaps...

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Of course! Seeing Brighton play in Europe would be a dream fulfilled. I don't know any fan who wouldn't be excited by that prospect. Except you perhaps...

Traveling to the arse end of denmark or turkey to watch a game with 3000-4000 people in attendance no thanks! give me St James park, Goodison or villa park any day!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
FA Cup for me - football should all be about achievement not money, although the game has turned into such a business even the fans talk more about the money involved then the prestige of winning something. These are bad times for football (not Brighton) when fans are treated like crap by the authorities and everything is geared towards a World Wide television audience.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Wouldn't it be better to get there first before you discuss your longevity there and future cup successes ?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Rewind 30 years ago. Then the FA Cup was the same as the Champions League today. Any top manager, including Fergie, would take the CL over the PL. So in 1983 Brighton had won nothing, nada, zilch. The chance for 30000 fans to go to Wembley was a dream come true. Yes we lost our top league status but we were at Wembley, the home of football in a game watched by the whole world. In '83 only two games got played there, the FA Cup and the other cup (milk cup?) and Brighton could be there, at Wembley. It was a no brainer I'm afraid. Whilst appologising to every new fan from 1984 onwards, it had to be done, Wembley here we come.
Fast forward 30 years and next season I'd go for stability in the PL and getting a foothold. Let the rest know we mean business and attract some big name players.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Head would say league, heart would say cup.

All hypothetical of course.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I'm glad the feelings are mixed on this, although in favour of the PL overall. I thought it would be a close call and it's definitely a difficult decision.

The thought sprang to mind when hearing Wigan's chances discussed on TalkSport. They were genuinely expecting a weakened team from Wigan today and it got me thinking what we would do.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm glad the feelings are mixed on this, although in favour of the PL overall. I thought it would be a close call and it's definitely a difficult decision.

The thought sprang to mind when hearing Wigan's chances discussed on TalkSport. They were genuinely expecting a weakened team from Wigan today and it got me thinking what we would do.

The problem they have of couse, and it's not really fair IMO, but they play Arsenal on Tues. given that, if the favour the prem, you could see them possibly playing a weakened team. If the cup final was the last game of the sason, you wouldn't have that issue

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here