fao anyone who's been to Iceland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I'm off to Iceland in November with the hope of seeing the Northern lights with 3 others. I'm just wondering and looking for advice from anyone whe has been. Is it better to booked trips in advance e.g golden circle, snowmobiling etc or book when i get to Reykjavik? Also what are the rough costs as i've heard it's expensive and want to make sure i take enough money.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I'd love to do that, we're the flights and hotel expensive? I might treat the Mrs for Xmas...

I presume you can do things like husky rides too? I wet snowmobiling in Bulgaria years ago an that was amazing.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Is that far North enough? I thought the Northern lights were better and more reliable after the turn of the year.

You won't see any blue and white stripes either, I'll bet; much more likely to see blue and red...:lolol:

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Is that far North enough? I thought the Northern lights were better and more reliable after the turn of the year.

You won't see any blue and white stripes either, I'll bet; much more likely to see blue and red...:lolol:

Apparently you can sometimes see them in Scotland and very rarely in the lakes, but I've never seen them, mainly die to cloud.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I'd love to do that, we're the flights and hotel expensive? I might treat the Mrs for Xmas...

I presume you can do things like husky rides too? I wet snowmobiling in Bulgaria years ago an that was amazing.

The flights ii booked were with Easyjet £60 return each from Luton so bit of travel down but they were £200 each with icelandair form Manchester so still quids in. We are renting a two bed apartment for £63 a night between the four of us 2 couples in Reykjavik so far pretty cheap.

Madam Cholet

Feb 29, 2012
You can book the trips when you get there - your hotel can do it for you and they're not extortionate. Our trip was with Icelandair which included one trip out to see the Northern Lights (we were lucky). It cost under £300 for three nights. Autumn is actually the best time to see the Lights apparently. As for expense, it's no more expensive than London. Or Brighton probably. And the Blue Lagoon is a must. Have a good trip.

Madam Cholet

Feb 29, 2012
Are there outside hot springs and pubs made of ice etc?

Outdoor hot springs yes.

Don't think there's an ice hotel or bar. Think there's one in Sweden and/or other more northerly places. But it might not have been built yet this year - probably not cold enough.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
It used to be expensive. Then their entire economy collapsed a couple of years back and the kroner virtually halved in value. Now similar prices to the UK. Apart from imported spirits in bars which are still a bit silly.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
There was an ice bar last time I was there. Essentially a walk in freezer in a restaurant off the main square (like the ones in Stockholm, London etc, sponsored by Absolut vodka I think).

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I know somebody who went late November and got some awesome pictures of said Lights.I am off to Lapland with sprogs over Christmas week and hope to catch a glimpse myself.Good luck and have a great time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports