Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO anyone who supports the 20mph limits..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm in favour of a 20mph cap for residential streets. For me, it has nothing to do with the Green Party or party politics. I simply think it will reduce speeds in the main (of course some drivers will ignore it, as they do the 30mph limit), giving kids, pedestrians, push bike riders, pets, wildlife, all more of a chance of not being hit at all or surviving being hit by vehicles.

Although not policed, I also think the book will be thrown at drivers who kill or maim others, in not obeying it - accident investigation officers will easily prove the excess speed.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Worthing voted by a large majority not to enforce a 20mile an hour speed limit. Driving in Brighton, I've found that if the car in front of you sticks to 20, you do to, cos there arent many roads with the 20 limit it is safe to overtake.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Ok clever cloggs :lolol:

20mph zones started at least 15 years ago in London and pilot schemes were slowly being introduced all around the country. It was always going to happen, and it would have looked daft on the Greens if they didn’t consider it. If we were the first city to change, then I would give the Greens credit for it, but it wasn't their invention.

However the roll out is not a blanket one. While Brighton council have obviously looked at Portsmouth as a model to follow, other cities have been more targeted. As an example, tower bridge is 20 mph no doubt due to the high number if visitors and is controlled by 2 cameras. Although I accept that the city of London is now considering a blanket approach. However this along with other policies will be an election loser for the Greens in May.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ok clever cloggs :lolol:

20mph zones started at least 15 years ago in London and pilot schemes were slowly being introduced all around the country. It was always going to happen, and it would have looked daft on the Greens if they didn’t consider it. If we were the first city to change, then I would give the Greens credit for it, but it wasn't their invention.

Fair play. It was a genuine question, purely because you've demonstrated that you're far more of a clever-clogs/know-it-all on this than I am. I have to be honest, the intricacies of local politics bores me rigid, important though it is.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I support them, in town it's not like you get anywhere fast anyway. The speed difference makes a big difference to people getting hit or at least the severity.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Brighton is a great example of how not to apply a 20 mph limit. There are so many roads where it should not have been introduced that the roads where it should be respected are ignored as well.
The examples work both ways. In Patcham, there are several roads that are so short or hilly or both that you can't reach the 20 mph limit and I confess I have actually laughed out loud at the speed restriction sign as I enter the restricted zone.
There are other roads that are clearly 30 mph type roads, but are nedlessly restricted to 20 mph.
My thought process now is too drive at what I perceive is an appropriate speed throughout Brighton, rather than what it says on the road or the sign. That means carefully and thoughtfully around schools and areas where headphone muppets wander the streets without due care and attention, and 30 mph in built up areas where 20 mph has just been imposed through political dogma rather than road safety reasons. The unintended consequence of blanket 20 mph limits is that limits in Brighton are routinely ignored except by speed cameras.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I got pinged by a mobile camera on the Old Shoreham Road by the cemetary, I was doing 38mph. There were a few cars in front of me and a few behind and we were all doing the same speed, that poxy camera must be making a fortune! Considering the same dual carriageway turns into a 40mph limit a bit further west where it is bordered by houses I felt it was a bit harsh. Oh well, I will be attending my speed awareness course next week for 4 hours education, better than 3 points I suppose.

Got snapped at exactly the same spot at 37. Given that it was built as a 40mph road nearly 40 years ago, is a wide dual carriageway with a central reservation, and has very wide pavements on both sides and is nearly always entirely deserted of pedestrian life I do feel that it is being used as a cash cow rather than being monitored for safety purposes. Like you, speed awareness course later this month (must keep trap shut so as not to fail course, Big Brother, never).

Awaits flaming from anti-car lobby.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Unfortunately I'm massively busy but take a look at this graph. It's NOx (oxides of nitrogen) that we're particularly concerned about in terms of health effects.

tdm59_02.gif

Two things on this

1. Aren't petrol and diesel cars just bad for the enviorment and our health by being driven around anywhere and at any varying amount of speed

2. Electric cars are much more common now, does the low speed not cut the use of petrol and switch them to driving on the electric

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Two things on this

1. Aren't petrol and diesel cars just bad for the enviorment and our health by being driven around anywhere and at any varying amount of speed
Yes, particularly in terms of CO2. But with NOx and PM10, the primary pollutants with regard to direct health effects, low concentrations are unlikely to cause harm, but above a certain threshold they will. Admittedly the UK and EU Air Quality Standards are likely to be somewhat arbitrary.

2. Electric cars are much more common now, does the low speed not cut the use of petrol and switch them to driving on the electric
Yes, but there are only circa 25,000 registered electric cars compared to 30,000,000 other cars.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here