Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans today

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Atmosphere wasn't helped by the upper / lower tier split. 10 years ago Wolves away was a hostile horrible game. Last time I was there one of their fans with a wolves badge tattooed on his face asked me 'where the rest of you queers are? .

I have horrible memories from even earlier than then. In 1980, they had "spotters" in our end, who pointed us out as we left the ground after we had won, and a group of 20 of their finest attacked us. There were nine of us, of which two were women, so it was very brave of them. Luckily, a few of us were able to put up enough of a fight to keep them at bay, or it could have been very nasty. Interestingly, nearby police did nothing.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I have horrible memories from even earlier than then. In 1980, they had "spotters" in our end, who pointed us out as we left the ground after we had won, and a group of 20 of their finest attacked us. There were nine of us, of which two were women, so it was very brave of them. Luckily, a few of us were able to put up enough of a fight to keep them at bay, or it could have been very nasty. Interestingly, nearby police did nothing.

I was attacked both before and after that game. Probably not helped by encamping in a home pub before midday. Got chased out at 2.45pm. Then got picked off in a side street after the game.

el punal

Away fans generally are until they are 2-0 down...........its our home support that needs some work. I know we regularly get 30 k now but trust an oldie here ...... the 30k gates in the 70’svandv80’s were in the main pretty deafening.

To be honest, the 30,000 crowds in the 70s (did we have any in the 80s?) were when we were doing well and challenging for promotion or playing Palace. You can’t really compare then and now. When it really matters our fans will step up to the plate whatever era.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
To be honest, the 30,000 crowds in the 70s (did we have any in the 80s?) were when we were doing well and challenging for promotion or playing Palace. You can’t really compare then and now. When it really matters our fans will step up to the plate whatever era.

I accept it was rarer and more of an occasion back then but how many games would you say the Amex has rocked this season.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Away fans generally are until they are 2-0 down...........its our home support that needs some work. I know we regularly get 30 k now but trust an oldie here ...... the 30k gates in the 70’svandv80’s were in the main pretty deafening.

Whilst you are quite right in that the noise was indeed deafening, we should bear in mind that when such numbers attended it was usually for a crucial end-of season match, or a cup tie, and the fans were then up for it. 30,000 was not the norm during those decades.When I think of that Sheff Wed play-off not so long ago, the same noise can still be generated, but as you say, the home support can be haphazard.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I have vague memories of a shopping trolley being luzzed over the underpass at us as well at one game. Can't be sure it was Wolves, they all blend into one. I was shocked at how well behaved they all were yesterday. I can well believe your experience - its not the place it was albeit none of the pubs let away fans in still.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
I have vague memories of a shopping trolley being luzzed over the underpass at us as well at one game. Can't be sure it was Wolves, they all blend into one. I was shocked at how well behaved they all were yesterday. I can well believe your experience - its not the place it was albeit none of the pubs let away fans in still.

There was definitely a problem with some people from that town before current times. A few years after the incident I described I was at a mate's wedding in Wolverhampton. I was standing outside the church (which was near Molineaux, and it was a Saturday afternoon) to get some fresh air. I was in a suit with a carnation in my buttonhole, and some Wolves fans walked past, eybealled me and called me a wanker. I actually laughed - it is strange what mindset some people have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here