Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fannying about at the back

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It’s fine to have a style that we stick to but at certain places it’s naive. Small pitches at Palace, Bournemouth and Luton mean it doesn’t work. It’s hard to create the width, so go a bit more direct. It’s 3 games. Doesn’t change the perception but gets the job done.
Think your info on pitch widths is a bit off - see link here

Most appear to be 74 yards wide, including the Amex.
According to my "Supporters' Guide [2005]" Muff is also 74 yards wide and Luton is 72 yards wide - does the 2 fewer yards at Kenilworth Road really make a difference?

Anyone who has played at Wild Park will have experienced a truly narrow pitch - The touch line is only a couple of steps outside the penalty area and to maintain 10 yards distance from a corner-kick means being close to the edge of the six-yard box - mind it was all hoof-ball there, as I recall ....

Jul 7, 2003
Think your info on pitch widths is a bit off - see link here

Most appear to be 74 yards wide, including the Amex.
According to my "Supporters' Guide [2005]" Muff is also 74 yards wide and Luton is 72 yards wide - does the 2 fewer yards at Kenilworth Road really make a difference?

Anyone who has played at Wild Park will have experienced a truly narrow pitch - The touch line is only a couple of steps outside the penalty area and to maintain 10 yards distance from a corner-kick means being close to the edge of the six-yard box - mind it was all hoof-ball there, as I recall ....
I only played there once in a cup game and couldn’t believe how narrow the pitch was.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Saw the highlights of this on Soccer Saturday yesterday, Portsmouth screwing up from 01.09 in this one

dbarnard

Jul 26, 2011
I am sure that I read somewhere a few years back that these pitches were in fact not legal size and that no games should have been played on them...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I am sure that I read somewhere a few years back that these pitches were in fact not legal size and that no games should have been played on them...
Played there in the 70’s….seems like a long time ago…..in fact it is! 🤦‍♂️

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Wild Park was our 'home' pitch for a couple of seasons in the eighties. We played on the middle pitch. A few memories:
Yobs driving a car down the steep grass bank and across the pitch as we warmed up before kick off.
The changing room broken into numerous times and some players having their stuff nicked including shoes and jeans.
A burnt out car in the middle of the first pitch.
Dead fox in the penalty area along with other deceased wildlife including rats having to be cleared off.
Not to mention the dog crap.
Great memories :moo:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Two fabulous goals for Swindon today

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Not squarely on topic (topic adjacent?), but the other day my 3 yr old daughter used "fannying about" to explain why she had gone upstairs to use the loo in plenty of time, yet still had an accident.

I am more proud than her mother :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wild Park was our 'home' pitch for a couple of seasons in the eighties. We played on the middle pitch. A few memories:
Yobs driving a car down the steep grass bank and across the pitch as we warmed up before kick off.
The changing room broken into numerous times and some players having their stuff nicked including shoes and jeans.
A burnt out car in the middle of the first pitch.
Dead fox in the penalty area along with other deceased wildlife including rats having to be cleared off.
Not to mention the dog crap.
Great memories :moo:

You played at Selhurst Park :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here