Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fan on the board

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Good idea.

Credentials required.

1) Must have been to see the Albion at Withdean and Gillingham years You seem to have forgotten about the Goldstone!

2) Went to the Newcastle fixture and didn't moan about prices.

3) No second team

Personally, I think the idea is idealistic claptrap. The fans follow the club but are not owners but many seem to think they have a perceived right to dictate things to the board. There seem to be many that can't grasp the fact that the club is a commercial enterprise. Of course, the board would be foolish to piss off the majority of fans but they are hardly going to be a success if they give in to every stupid demand from fans. As Attilla alluded to, there are excellent lines of communication already in existence, something I would suggest are the envy of many clubs at our level.

I can assure you that the channels of communication created over the last 16 or so years are still firmly in place - that's how we got the real ale and Dick's Bar :)
As for the future, I don't see a problem. Paul Barber is personable and committed to dealing with issues raised both on here and by individuals to him directly. The people running the club definitely have its best interests at heart - they may not get everything right all the time (who does?) but they do. Long may that be so. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't stand up for things that matter to us if we feel they are not being addressed. I don't think we need a formal structure to do that.

Balls to the real ale! 10,OOO JUNIOR SEAGULLS BUILT UP AND THEY GET TO STAND WITH DAD AT THE BAR:facepalm:
Well not in dickies granted,what about an area for the younger fans to meet,alot of other clubs provide these venues.
This would give the old gits more time to drink as well:drool:

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
How about Tony Bloom?

Of course Bloom is great, I was talking about your average supporter, one that gets public transport to and from games, uses park and ride, you know, not the owner.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Of course Bloom is great, I was talking about your average supporter, one that gets public transport to and from games, uses park and ride, you know, not the owner.

What exactly is the purpose ? If I was 'on the board' I'd be expecting a parking space at the very least....

Do you just mean a communication line up to Senior Management? This already exists, as do supporters groups.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
erm... now we are all customers is there not a customer service line we can call?

:whistle:

Seriously though, how can any one supporter or small clique of supporters adequately represent the views of well over 20,000 people? Pretty much every thread on here proves we all have differing views. If the board make a decision that really upset a large majority then I am sure any discontent will be clear to them.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Would this help Brighton and hove Albion football club?

Having a supporter elected as a board member so the supporters have some input or a voice in future decision the club make, or as a go between the club and the supports.

Sorry if this is already in place.

Brilliant idea. We have four on our board which has worked out really well. Brighton can only benefit from doing this.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
erm... now we are all customers is there not a customer service line we can call?

:whistle:

Seriously though, how can any one supporter or small clique of supporters adequately represent the views of well over 20,000 people? Pretty much every thread on here proves we all have differing views. If the board make a decision that really upset a large majority then I am sure any discontent will be clear to them.

Good point but also the club might welcome the fans views and ideas?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think this thread is the perfect example of why its not a good idea. Reading the hitching and comments about 'inner circles' and 'cliques' is one thing. Imagine if there was just one rep? How much shit would be thrown at that person?

The suggestion of having a fan on the board was made by Dick Knight and the FA, but it was put to all the fans groups (supporters clubs of which there were 3 at the time, fanzines of which there were at list two and BISA activists) who all came to the view that open dialogue with a wider group was better than one person. Especially given the widening of the board to allow the Blooms back (which was a far from popular move then.....) And people like Derek Chapman putting their hard earned dosh in.

I don't see anything now that makes me think things have changed enough to need to revisit the idea.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Housing associations have tenants on their Boards and have really benefited from having a customer (not much choice there either!) perspective. Since introduced in the 1990s - its standard practice now. There have been massive business benefits. How do they get over the one voice not being representative? They don't - the tenant board member is there to give a "customer" perspective and is expected to contribute their experiences as a tenant. The FA have discussed how to get get more women and BME on the boards and this could be another avenue - breaking up the traditional white male business owner perspective.

I'm all for it!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Of course if it did happen, Hove Born & Bred would end up at the rep on the board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here