Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fan advisory board

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Does PB ever use the park and ride or train for matches (or even the bridge car park, which is equally appalling)? Perhaps it’d be beneficial for him to do so once in a while to get a gist of the problems supporters of the club face when traveling to and from the stadium. Transport is the single most negative aspect of the Amex, it’s something that needs understanding clearly and addressing.

Agree wholeheartedly. PB and TB getting Mill Road P&R one match, train to Brighton another, getting the 25 into town for a different match and I'm pretty sure the transport issues would be resolved pretty quickly.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No, we were not surprised at all. He said similar at our first meeting in 2022. Tony Bloom also said something similar at SOL last October.

The reason that they have this view is because the club feel that they are already really good at gathering feedback from fans and have a good relationship with the fanbase. And I don't disagree. Certainly compared to many other clubs.

We have the fans forum at the start of every season, PB and TB go out visiting the various supporters groups, they appear on Albion podcasts and PB especially is super responsive to the thousands of emails he receives.

But the Premier League have said all clubs have to have a FAB and so the Albion wanted to be amongst the first and not be caught on the naughty step, unlike several other Premier League clubs who have yet to get up and running.
So why have it then?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Lets understand why the FAB is there. As Barry has said, its because the PL have said they need one. And the PL wanted one to try and avoid an independent regulator.

The kings speech today has now slated that for this parliament term. So whether there is still an FAB or PL requirement after that comes in remains to be seen.

I do also wonder what an independent regulator would make of clubs that dont abide by recommendations of ombudsman type bodies in fan disputes?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Agree wholeheartedly. PB and TB getting Mill Road P&R one match, train to Brighton another, getting the 25 into town for a different match and I'm pretty sure the transport issues would be resolved pretty quickly.
This, absolutely. Get the board members to commit to taking the post-match transport options for just one game, preferably an evening or Sunday game, and report back. Guaranteed their complacency would be completely shaken

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Not to jump on a bandwagon but I agree. Until you actually experience the travel issues it's impossible to actually discuss it properly. PB should also wait by his keyboard at 08.59 on a day parking might go on sale poised for the 30 second scramble only for nothing to go on sale. Someone at the ticket office is reminded and they announce they will go on sale 2 days later. Because there's absolutely nothing better to do with our lives.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
This, absolutely. Get the board members to commit to taking the post-match transport options for just one game, preferably an evening or Sunday game, and report back. Guaranteed their complacency would be completely shaken
I mean I’ve got plenty of solutions to the problems, but there’s only so much influence I have. I’d love to solve the problems, end of the day the board don’t have all the influence, but this kind of move to provide evidence will go a long way.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Wow!

"The meeting started with an overview from Paul on his thoughts around FAB. He said that he does not believe that BHAFC needs a FAB...."
It doesn't surprise me at all. It's clearly a box ticking exercise with little to no value over and above this.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don't get the impression that anyone at the club is necessarily relaxed about the current transport - specifically trains - service - given the last few years . Who would be ?

Much as i can see some enjoying watching the board waiting forlornly on the Falmer platform or in a random queue in the rain etc etc - is that really the key to solving this issue ? Doesn't our owner go out of his way to travel to some games on trains with fans anyway ? Is anyone not aware of flows in/out of stadium and bottlenecks and issues. There's a big team at the club and they get a lot of feedback/real time info, reporting etc.

Also Aren't the club spending millions on a fanzone to give fans shelter, better food/drink and stagger travel journeys ? That is within their control and they are spending heavily to improve things.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Fan Advisory Board weekly update - November 6th

2. Following PBOBE's Albion Unlimited Podcast, when he said he'd asked the FAB to go away and come back with ideas for the Fanzone, the FAB contacted the club to ask for the terms of reference for this project, so we can gather useful feedback from fans. The response was that we wait until the Planning Permission had been granted.
I think this is particularly telling. Basically they are 100% certain they are doing the right thing, and believe it completely. And so do I. I totally trust them to do right by us all and therefore why would they want a very small sample of fans telling them things like it's not big enough or why put it there. Once they have planning permission it's set in stone and then your input on what colour the walls can be will be listened to (clue - maybe blue or white or a combination of both?).

Have to be honest, I took the decision not to run for it as I knew it would be like this. I'd love to be involved in a meaningful conversation but it was never going to happen and frankly I think that's a good thing as it reflects how well run the club and also that we have a owner who is a fan. Under a different owner it would be a necessity however, and therefore there is some merit in it for when the club inevitably gets sold.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It doesn't surprise me at all. It's clearly a box ticking exercise with little to no value over and above this.
I think everyone at the club, and the members of the FAB themselves are aware of the context with which they operate. How the club engages with fans in different ways, how the PL wanted to avoid a regulator , and how even with 9 or 10 of them representing different issues - they are never going to be some sort of silver bullet to this or that issue. That said , they seem to be pushing the club to improve in certain areas and responding to feedback from fans.
So arguing on here they have "little value" - seems to me , iunfair to them and the work, however limited or flawed, they are trying to do . its also not even what Barber thinks despite that out of context minuted quote. He's pretty clear - the club is better and is run better and he does his job better because he/they engage with fans and the FAB is just a different way of doing that and a useful addition. (you might believe thats not true - fair enough- i'd say the meetings / time / letters / effort you see from the club goes a long way to illustrating that).

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I don't get the impression that anyone at the club is necessarily relaxed about the current transport - specifically trains - service - given the last few years . Who would be ?

Much as i can see some enjoying watching the board waiting forlornly on the Falmer platform or in a random queue in the rain etc etc - is that really the key to solving this issue ? Doesn't our owner go out of his way to travel to some games on trains with fans anyway ? Is anyone not aware of flows in/out of stadium and bottlenecks and issues. There's a big team at the club and they get a lot of feedback/real time info, reporting etc.

Also Aren't the club spending millions on a fanzone to give fans shelter, better food/drink and stagger travel journeys ? That is within their control and they are spending heavily to improve things.
I tend to stick around a bit after games and don't really have issues with travel. I understand and see every game that many can't or don't want to do this. I love the idea of the covered fanzone but it won't change the mindset of those groups of fans so may well not make much difference to travel

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think this is particularly telling. Basically they are 100% certain they are doing the right thing, and believe it completely. And so do I. I totally trust them to do right by us all and therefore why would they want a very small sample of fans telling them things like it's not big enough or why put it there. Once they have planning permission it's set in stone and then your input on what colour the walls can be will be listened to (clue - maybe blue or white or a combination of both?).

Have to be honest, I took the decision not to run for it as I knew it would be like this. I'd love to be involved in a meaningful conversation but it was never going to happen and frankly I think that's a good thing as it reflects how well run the club and also that we have a owner who is a fan. Under a different owner it would be a necessity however, and therefore there is some merit in it for when the club inevitably gets sold.
I listened to the interview on Albion Unlimited and this a bit unfair . How they use the space both on matchdays and outside of match days seems a bit of blank page - and it sounded like a good faith offer to the FAB but also to fans to be involved into shaping what the zone can be used for and how. Its a bit dismissive to sum that up with your blue/white analogy.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I tend to stick around a bit after games and don't really have issues with travel. I understand and see every game that many can't or don't want to do this. I love the idea of the covered fanzone but it won't change the mindset of those groups of fans so may well not make much difference to travel
Of course. Its just an example of an improvement over which the club have some control and (they hope) will impact on easing transport issues as well. But yep...not everyone wants to hang around for a beer or a tea or a pie or watch the 5.30pm or 4pm Sunday game etc etc regardless of whether its on a concourse or sat down in a fanzone. (me included ! being a boring teetoaller)

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

the club know and have been told the reality of the situation, I fully agree about your final point, they know and they want people to stay! There won’t be solution which everyone will be satisfied with if 30,000 leave at the same time. The location and capacity are proof of that.

I still stand by my previous point, that compared to the Amex, getting back to the city centre and central train station after a game for most clubs (barring Newcastle) in the league is an absolute nightmare.

I walked 40 mins at City because the trams are a nightmare.

I queued 30 mins for a bus at Everton at the weekend.

There will never be an acceptable solution for some people as they want to be back in Brighton at 17:15, but there’s very few clubs where you would be.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
the club know and have been told the reality of the situation, I fully agree about your final point, they know and they want people to stay! There won’t be solution which everyone will be satisfied with if 30,000 leave at the same time. The location and capacity are proof of that.

I still stand by my previous point, that compared to the Amex, getting back to the city centre and central train station after a game for most clubs (barring Newcastle) in the league is an absolute nightmare.

I walked 40 mins at City because the trams are a nightmare.

I queued 30 mins for a bus at Everton at the weekend.

There will never be an acceptable solution for some people as they want to be back in Brighton at 17:15, but there’s very few clubs where you would be.
Spot on. Can only think a lot of those persistently complaining don’t go to away games. I quickly gave up on the trams at City (stations near the ground are closed after anyway) and walked back to Ashton :shrug:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I listened to the interview on Albion Unlimited and this a bit unfair . How they use the space both on matchdays and outside of match days seems a bit of blank page - and it sounded like a good faith offer to the FAB but also to fans to be involved into shaping what the zone can be used for and how. Its a bit dismissive to sum that up with your blue/white analogy.
I would still argue that the ideal time to have that discussion is before the external size and shape is fixed, rather than afterwards.
Incidentally, do we know who's actually responsible for designing it? I'm hoping it's a company I don't work for so I have an excuse to be unreasonably picky and stag them off.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I noticed on the pod one of the presenters mentioned about what will it cost for fans to use the new fanzine facility. I sincerely hope we will not be charging for entry. I know the FAB were going to take concerns / feedback on this - so there’s mine. Not more expense to match days pls!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
One of the big issues with transport is a lot of it is out of the club’s control. The coach park often seems at capacity, so I don’t see how much more park and ride provision can really be provided. Southern can be contracted to run more trains as well as heavily encouraged, but their issues with even running their core timetable have been detailed at length. And on the occasion the line does run well, it’s pretty much at capacity and the viaduct means that can’t really be expanded without an astronomical infrastructure investment from someone.

Could Brighton and Hove Buses do more? Possibly, but given my local routes randomly fluctuate between running to timetable and a third of services not showing up I’m not hopeful there.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I noticed on the pod one of the presenters mentioned about what will it cost for fans to use the new fanzine facility. I sincerely hope we will not be charging for entry. I know the FAB were going to take concerns / feedback on this - so there’s mine. Not more expense to match days pls!
Please you must know PB sees this as an income stream and you will pay Have no problem with this as long as other food kiosks are retained.. If willing to pay to queue for the P&R sure he will also agree to a cover.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here