Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Famous old Brighton Employers..........

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Lush said:
If these count, I was a waitress at the Lorelei cafe in the Lanes (now Casa Don Carlos) and the first and only Saturday girl selling trainers and squash rackets in the short-lived SPORTS DEPT at the North Street Boots.

I had a friend called Emma Smyth who was also a waitress at Lorelei (c1986). Does that count Lord B?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
CVA who became Kearney and Trecker. When my Dad came out of the Navy in 1968, he worked for them at Eaton Rd first of all (he used to watch the cricket from the roof during his lunch break) and then up at Hollingbury. He took early retirement in 83.

D

Deleted User X18H

Yorkie said:
CVA who became Kearney and Trecker. When my Dad came out of the Navy in 1968, he worked for them at Eaton Rd first of all (he used to watch the cricket from the roof during his lunch break) and then up at Hollingbury. He took early retirement in 83.
Kearney anf Trecker were somthing to do with Dugards I seem to remember.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My first job was at the Jo Lyons cafe on the corner of the Steine and St James's St - what a place; one of my jobs was to clean the syringes from the bogs after the smackheads had been. I used to come home smelling of grease every day.

I also had a job at SE Tyres on Coombe Road - it's now a Yellow Box storage place.

And of course, there was Alliance Buiding Society in Hove Park. It was great working there when evening matches were on - I'd do an hour or two's overtime and the toddle down to the Sackville for a couple of pints before kick-off.

All that talk of Allen West makes me nostalgic. My dad worked there after leaving school and did more than 20 years there. I remember the kids' parties at Christmas. It's sad to think that a company that used to employ about 1500 people know employs more about 30.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I worked at Gray & Whites back in about 1972ish, it was a company that made leaded lights (glass) for churches and the likes, i worked with a guy called Dave Woolgar, he came from patcham area, i would really love to see him again if anyone knows of his whereabouts (i have tried friends reunited and other sources, but to no avail) dave would be about the same age as me (21 going on 51 !!! :lol: )

oh Gray & Whites were at the seven dials area, well in the back streets, cant remember the actual address :dunce:

Last edited:

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by Lord Bracknell
And East Sussex County Council.

"I used to RUN Brighton, until they took it away from me in 1997."

Democracy wins at last and tinpot Dictator reduced to cleaning toilets.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Butlins Ocean Hotel - school holiday job as a waiter 75-76

Thorn EMI on Denton Island in Newhaven - did a year there as an electronics apprentice in '76/77

Redhill Motors - Motobike shop at the bottom of North Road (and it was a cinema before that - before me too) - storeman 77-79

Redhill Motors - Lewes branch - stores manager 79-82

Saltdean Garage (when it was in Longridge Ave) - 83/84

Franklynn Motorcycles (Haywards Heath) - parts manager 84-87

Bloody hell ! Every where I've been has gone !! Best not get a job at the Albion then :nono:

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Southern Publishing Co. Top of North Street.
Published the Argus and the Sussex Daily News. I worked briefly for an old guy by the name of Mr. Knight I think he was something of an artist.
Iworked at Allen West in 1940 at the age of fourteen and a half, in the Tool Stores at fourpence farthing an hour. The storeman was a one armed WW1 vet name of Jack Flaherty.

D

Deleted User X18H

Shropshire Seagull said:
Butlins Ocean Hotel - school holiday job as a waiter 75-76

Thorn EMI on Denton Island in Newhaven - did a year there as an electronics apprentice in '76/77

Redhill Motors - Motobike shop at the bottom of North Road (and it was a cinema before that - before me too) - storeman 77-79

Redhill Motors - Lewes branch - stores manager 79-82

Saltdean Garage (when it was in Longridge Ave) - 83/84

Franklynn Motorcycles (Haywards Heath) - parts manager 84-87

Bloody hell ! Every where I've been has gone !! Best not get a job at the Albion then :nono:
you must have some stories

Lord Bracknell said:
I used to RUN Brighton

I certainly wouldn't tangle with a Newport hoolie :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here