Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Family friendly restaurants in London - recommendations

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Somewhat inconveniently, it’s the wife’s birthday in a couple of weeks and so we’ve booked a two night trip in London with the kids, 9 and 6 (funny names, yak yak yak). It’s already cost me an arm and a leg for train tickets, hotel and two shows, but I’m so deep in it now I thought we might as well have a couple of nice dinners out beforehand (the bit I actually like).

I know London pretty well, but most of the places I’ve eaten out in have been on business and not necessarily places you’d take young kids. I thought we’d probably do Gaucho at Piccadilly as I know they’ve got a really decent kids menu, but beyond that I’m a bit stuck for ideas.

Main criteria I’m after is:

- Top notch food for me and the missus
- Kids menu (and not overly stuffy)
- Nice ambience
- Any cuisine whatsoever
- Ideally close to Covent Garden or our hotel in Westminster (Hilton Curio)

From a bit of reading a few names have come up a couple of times including Balthazar, Dishoom, Inamo, Masala Zone and Herron Street Kitchen, but nothing really stands out.

NSC has never let me down. Any recommendations or endorsements for any of the above?
The real Greek or Cote are both nice

The IVY Market Grill a bit chainy these days but good and you’ve got the kids with you

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That looks gorgeous, thanks for the suggestion. Great shout!

We may yet do that if we find ourselves pushed for time (and we may well be!), but the intention was to go somewhere we couldn’t go every other weekend.
Dishoom is a chain too. Far better before they scaled up. I’d search for something a bit less touristy now. London has thousands of choices, just hit the net according to preferences and location.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We did Gauchos Piccadilly the week before Christmas.Wife and daughter loved it.Service and food good. Nice atmosphere as was busy.
Think I went to that branch too. Very expensive, £40+ a steak and that was years ago. Very good mind. Top dining as opposed to a family affair.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The real Greek or Cote are both nice

The IVY Market Grill a bit chainy these days but good and you’ve got the kids with you
Apart from the original, I’d never set foot again in an Ivy chain restaurant. Terrible repeated experiences. It’s a huge step, scaling up, and countless fail to do successfully for that reason. I’m all for the independents, with maybe up to 4-5 locations. Chains are lazy. But then so are consumers. Which is why Just Eat, Deliveroo etc exist. We’re obsessed with cheap convenience and cosmetic in this country. After that comes taste, quality, welfare etc.

Jul 7, 2003
Zedel Brasserie just behind Piccadilly Circus is really nice. Good food, surprisingly good value for money for that part of town and the dining room is beautiful. Menu should have enough nice stuff for you and the wife while there also being enough on there for the kids to choose from.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I love Hawksmoor, and there’s one in Covent Garden. It doesn’t have a kids menu, but we’ve usually managed to satisfy ours there - we often order from the main menu starters/sides for ours anyway. Some good sides that kids love - the macaroni cheese on its own is a decent meal for a 6 year old. They also do a great burger. And the staff have always been really good with kids. Lovely ambience, nice relaxed service and great steaks. Not cheap, but probably in line with Gaucho if you’ve been there (and a step up from that in my opinion).

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
For the avoidance of doubt (in case anyone’s thinking of tipping off Operation Yewtree), I can confirm my wife is about to turn 38 (and has seen better days, frankly). Absolutely no idea where that came from.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, folks!
Don't leave your browser window open, if you do you'll be better off putting your money aside for the divorce! :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you want steak Flatiron is a good cost effective option.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love Hawksmoor, and there’s one in Covent Garden. It doesn’t have a kids menu, but we’ve usually managed to satisfy ours there - we often order from the main menu starters/sides for ours anyway. Some good sides that kids love - the macaroni cheese on its own is a decent meal for a 6 year old. They also do a great burger. And the staff have always been really good with kids. Lovely ambience, nice relaxed service and great steaks. Not cheap, but probably in line with Gaucho if you’ve been there (and a step up from that in my opinion).
Good shout.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m going to get flamed for this, but TGI Fridays used to be really good, as recently as 10 years ago. I went to one a few months ago and it was absolutely dogshit, Weatherspoon’s quality at a mid-range steak house price point.

Frozen meat, frozen everything. Even the dipping sauce was suspicious. Prices hugely risen, quality has tanked.

I know it was never “gourmet” quality but used to be honest ribs and burgers of a decent quality at an affordable price with a decent atmos.

I couldn’t quite believe how bad they’ve gotten. So definitely one to avoid.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If you are looking for a pub I can recommend the Lamb and Flag - right next to Convent Garden. They have a very good upstairs restaurant room - and decent pub food. A classic traditional, historic, pub downstairs. It's a great setting. The kids will be fine. And which kids don't like a pub!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here