Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Family friendly restaurants in London - recommendations

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Somewhat inconveniently, it’s the wife’s birthday in a couple of weeks and so we’ve booked a two night trip in London with the kids, 9 and 6 (funny names, yak yak yak). It’s already cost me an arm and a leg for train tickets, hotel and two shows, but I’m so deep in it now I thought we might as well have a couple of nice dinners out beforehand (the bit I actually like).

I know London pretty well, but most of the places I’ve eaten out in have been on business and not necessarily places you’d take young kids. I thought we’d probably do Gaucho at Piccadilly as I know they’ve got a really decent kids menu, but beyond that I’m a bit stuck for ideas.

Main criteria I’m after is:

- Top notch food for me and the missus
- Kids menu (and not overly stuffy)
- Nice ambience
- Any cuisine whatsoever
- Ideally close to Covent Garden or our hotel in Westminster (Hilton Curio)

From a bit of reading a few names have come up a couple of times including Balthazar, Dishoom, Inamo, Masala Zone and Herron Street Kitchen, but nothing really stands out.

NSC has never let me down. Any recommendations or endorsements for any of the above?

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Somewhat inconveniently, it’s the wife’s first birthday in a couple of weeks and so we’ve booked a two night trip in London with the kids, 9 and 6 (funny names, yak yak yak). It’s already cost me an arm and a leg for train tickets, hotel and two shows, but I’m so deep in it now I thought we might as well have a couple of nice dinners out beforehand (the bit I actually like).

Your wife's first birthday ??

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can certainly recommend Dishoom and, if you go, make sure at least one of you orders the dal makhani. Although I haven't been to Brasserie Zedel, I have been to a previous iteration, and the room is brilliant, as are their owners, ditto reputation.
Others eat out in London far more than I do

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Yes to Dishoom. We did the one near High St Kensington ahead of the 1–1 Chelsea game last year, and really liked it. Kids aged 12 and 8. Helps we all like spicy food, but think it’s good whatever your tastes.

No to Inamo. We were seriously disappointed. The food is shit and overpriced, and reading between the lines on places like Tripadvisor, their only positive reviews are from the wait staff bribing people with a free drink in return for a 5-star write-up.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Dishoom is great as others have said. I work in Soho and my favourite restaurant round there is ShackFuyu for Asian/Japanese food. Very good varied menu, and although generally busy its a pretty relaxed atmosphere, staff are great.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
For the avoidance of doubt (in case anyone’s thinking of tipping off Operation Yewtree), I can confirm my wife is about to turn 38 (and has seen better days, frankly). Absolutely no idea where that came from.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, folks!

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
My kids love Dishoom and one's a veggie, great food, decor, service, soft drinks. Or just go for a kebab - proper Turkish not that Sussex, please the drunken Englishman, pitta and cabbage crap. Or head to Soho for a Chinese - take your pick there's plenty to pick from.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Thanks for the advice all. Dishoom sounds a good bet; love Indian food. My only reservation is that the kids menu looks a bit limited.

Chinese in Soho also a good shout. The Duck and Rice looks tasty.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Italian Bear Chocolate - Soho
020 7437 1584

This was fun. Not for dinner, but book a table for tea. Hot liquid chocolate in a cup, chocolate cake, chocolate pastries, chocolate crepes with triple chocolate drizzled on everything. Very small, so you have to book.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Margot which is in great Queen St ( Covent Garden area ) is a fab classy Italian. Child friendly . Not cheap but very good food .

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Do one of the better chain restaurants like the Five Guys suggestions or there’s a Franco Manco near Shaftesbury Avenue and all the theatres (assuming that is where the shows are likely to be).

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Margot which is in great Queen St ( Covent Garden area ) is a fab classy Italian. Child friendly . Not cheap but very good food .
That looks gorgeous, thanks for the suggestion. Great shout!
Do one of the better chain restaurants like the Five Guys suggestions or there’s a Franco Manco near Shaftesbury Avenue and all the theatres (assuming that is where the shows are likely to be).
We may yet do that if we find ourselves pushed for time (and we may well be!), but the intention was to go somewhere we couldn’t go every other weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here