Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] False 9.

Dec 29, 2011
Rather than hunting for an expensive striker, what are the thoughts on signing a false 9? potentially could get maybe 10 goals, Oxlade Chamberlain springs to mind, he would certainly get forward and knows where the goal is and word is he's available.

As a false 9 he would replace our striker, Maupay. Who also get about ten goals last season. So really we'd be no better off?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
My thought is I absolutely hate that cringey fifa generation ‘phrase’ that’s crept into football. False 9 FFS :facepalm:

Pfff! I still hate the term 'striker' it's a 'centre forward' ffs. A right wing back is a 'right half', and a 'false nine' is probably a fancy modern name for a deep-lying inside forward. Where's it all going to end? Next you'll be telling me players don't wear Brylcream any more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My thought is I absolutely hate that cringey fifa generation ‘phrase’ that’s crept into football. False 9 FFS :facepalm:

So we'll put you down as a 'maybe' then, ok?

rudolf hucker

Jul 26, 2009
Hove
We don't need a false 9 ffs it's a real No 9 we need, one who can score goals
One who good enough for the prem, mentally strong enough for the prem and not injury prone.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
False 9 is, IMHO, the ultimate admission of failure that you haven't secured yourself a striker good enough to play in the team.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I mean, Maupay is basically a false 9 anyway, drops deep, links it up, pops up in the box every now and then... He's certainly not a number 9 in the traditional sense.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

My first thought when I saw the title. It's a second striker. Byrne and Small, Mellor and Ward, Bremner and Nelson, Beardsley and Lineker. 2 up front, that's it. False 9 my arse. If I played that role I'd be a false 9 because I'm rubbish, that's the only allowable qualification for calling it that!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ha! Too right, blud.

What we need is a post that says, "we need a false 9 that can play between the lines and help us transition from a low block to a high press in a single phase of play" to complete the box set of shite NFL-type phrases that have been crow-barred into a sport where they offer little meaning.

Goalkeeper
Left back, Right back
Left midfield, Centre half, Right midfield
Left wing, Inside left, Centre forward, Insider right, Right wing

532 (forwards first). Get the ball out to the midfielders, hoof it forward to the forwards. Goal. That's Football. Fact.

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
'Striker' was once - not so long ago - a novel new term coined by young hip sorts for a centre forward, yet now we all accept it as part of the common footballing lexicon.
The language of football has evolved a lot over a hundred years and more.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Goalkeeper
Left back, Right back
Left midfield, Centre half, Right midfield
Left wing, Inside left, Centre forward, Insider right, Right wing

532 (forwards first). Get the ball out to the midfielders, hoof it forward to the forwards. Goal. That's Football. Fact.

HWT I’m pretty sure my Grandad used to refer to midfielder s as half backs ? Defenders being Full backs on either side of the CH / CB in the WM formation

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
goalkeeper
left back, right back
left midfield, centre half, right midfield
left wing, inside left, centre forward, insider right, right wing

532 (forwards first). Get the ball out to the midfielders, hoof it forward to the forwards. Goal. That's football. Fact.

dinosaur!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My first thought when I saw the title. It's a second striker. Byrne and Small, Mellor and Ward, Bremner and Nelson, Beardsley and Lineker. 2 up front, that's it. False 9 my arse. If I played that role I'd be a false 9 because I'm rubbish, that's the only allowable qualification for calling it that!

But a false 9 isn't a second striker as the role implies there isn't a main striker.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here