Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer station rail links improvement

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Frequency of trains was always the problem in my experience, sometimes they're fine but I was waiting for half an hour at Brighton station (no queue, just no train either) before the play-off.

There must be a reason, but I don't know why they don't do back and forth shuttle services like they do to Hove. Is it because there are only 2 tracks on that line? I had a quick look on google maps and it doesn't look like the west coast line has more than 2 tracks either. Or maybe there are only a limited number of platforms connected to the Lewes line?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Fair answer :lolol: But in what way?

Well, more controlled queuing, instead of a mass mingle with hundreds of others in the concourse area in front of the departure board, and not allowing passengers off the incoming London trains to simply bypass all the queues and get on before the rest of us who have been stood patiently as directed.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Well, more controlled queuing, instead of a mass mingle with hundreds of others in the concourse area in front of the departure board, and not allowing passengers off the incoming London trains to simply bypass all the queues and get on before the rest of us who have been stood patiently as directed.

If the last bit of your post is correct and they are letting passengers off London trains to bypass the football fans who are queuing is correct then I can see why your not happy with it, Havant seen that myself but if it's happening then the club should be putting serious complaints into the people who are allowing it.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If the last bit of your post is correct and they are letting passengers off London trains to bypass the football fans who are queuing is correct then I can see why your not happy with it, Havant seen that myself but if it's happening then the club should be putting serious complaints into the people who are allowing it.

It happens a lot.....causes a lot of grief.....but I didn't use the train much after new year last season, so they may have changed things.....who knows.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Frequency of trains was always the problem in my experience, sometimes they're fine but I was waiting for half an hour at Brighton station (no queue, just no train either) before the play-off.

There must be a reason, but I don't know why they don't do back and forth shuttle services like they do to Hove. Is it because there are only 2 tracks on that line? I had a quick look on google maps and it doesn't look like the west coast line has more than 2 tracks either. Or maybe there are only a limited number of platforms connected to the Lewes line?
When the stadium at Falmer was first mooted I had assumed that would be the case to get people away from the ground quickly, but something about signalling and groundframes meant it wasn't possible. British Bulldog can probably give chapter and verse as he used to be a signalman.

However even if that were now going to be possible there is still the problem at Brighton of waiting for westbound trains which Somerset mentioned. This might make that worse!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well, it's very good news anyway so let's be happy about that. Overdue, but welcome. And I never thought the club should have to pay for this either.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Possibly the distance? While Lewes and Hove have, I believe, one platform each available for shuttle services, it's obviously just a two minute trip to Hove, whereas it's more like 15 to Lewes. Obviously you can't turn around before Lewes either.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
When you get on an eight coach train at Brighton there's an announcement that you shouldn't travel in the last car as you can't alight from it at Falmer, yet when it pulls into the station there always seems to be a perfectly good bit of platform outside the rear-most door of the train ???

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London

It happens a lot.....causes a lot of grief.....but I didn't use the train much after new year last season, so they may have changed things.....who knows.

I wish they did! I've already been on the train for an hour once I've reached Brighton... but they do now make us all be good boys and girls and join the back of the queue.

To be fair, obviously I do completely understand it. What hacks me off is the other way round, when I get back into Brighton after the match, there's no queue at Brighton to get back on the London Bridge train, so why make us walk all the way round then?

It only takes a couple of minutes but that can easily be the difference between making the train and having to wait another 30 minutes for the next one. As I say, no queue, so just let us through. We're already in the station - no other station that I've ever been to makes you leave the station and come back in a different entrance to change trains!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here