Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Referendum

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
Please don't ask why I need to know because it's too long a story....but how were the actual ballot papers for the Falmer Referendum in 1999 delivered.

Did the Council send them out with the election ballot papers or were they included in the leaflet drop that we did?

Cheers

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
Dick Knights Mum said:
They were part of the Council election vote - as in the voting booth.

So were they just available for people to complete when they attended the polling station?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Curious Orange said:
Yep, so only people who actually voted could vote...

???

So the yes vote would have been even more unanimous if it had been available to everyone.
However, I presume the reasoning was that it was the best way to ensure that only residents of Brighton and Hove could vote.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Rangdo said:
So the yes vote would have been even more unanimous if it had been available to everyone.
However, I presume the reasoning was that it was the best way to ensure that only residents of Brighton and Hove could vote.

Yeah, it was open to every registered voter in Brighton & Hove. Those living in B&H who could've voted at the local election but didn't have only got themselves to blame.

I seem to remember the Argus getting a letter from some dickhead living in B&H who was moaning that he hadn't been given the opportunity to vote against the Stadium. What had actually happened was that he'd not bothered to turn up to the polling booth. Twat.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Why not hold another referendum, this time to include Lewes? That way Lewes council would be badly exposed. I think the majority would be even higher than last time.

Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sneaky George said:
Why not hold another referendum, this time to include Lewes? That way Lewes council would be badly exposed. I think the majority would be even higher than last time.

I think we've been trying to get Lewes to do that.

Who do you think organises such a vote?

At least the people of Lewes will be able to register their opinion next May.

You seem to think the club organised the referendum. It was the council, surely.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Yes, it was the council -- Brighton and Hove Council decided to hold one. There is a method for "forcing" a parish council, to hold a referendum (called a Parish Poll) but it's pretty laboursome. And organising a simultaneous Parish Poll in every Parish in the Lewes DC area would be very difficult. And the results in each Parish would stand only individually, and wouldn't be binding on Lewes DC anyway, so it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No referendums allowed in Lewes. That would reek of democracy. :nono:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
And the results in each Parish would stand only individually, and wouldn't be binding on Lewes DC anyway, so it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Not if the aim is to make the wider public aware of the feeling towards the stadium and turn them against the council to change their stance indirectly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here