Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Pitch

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
I seem to remember hearing, (can't remember from whom), that the pitch at Falmer was to be sown in November.
I have looked at the schedule that was printed in a match programme last season, and it does say "Pitch Preparation" during Autumn 2010.
Now I am no gardener and don't pretend to have a clue about these things, so my questions are :-
When is the best time of year to sow the grass seed ? and how far are they away from getting the pitch to that point ?, since it still looks a bit of a mess at the moment.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm no gardener either but I doubt that the beginning of winter is a great time to sow grass seeds and expect them to grow :shrug:

Geo

Oct 18, 2010
Heathfield
As I understand it the pitch has been sown but obviously not on the site. It will be brought in and laid in the early part of 2011. The work currently ongoing is field drainage works and the beginnings of getting the pitch into a state of preparation

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Grass likes it warm n wet....but don't we all !!! Spring or autumn are optimal times for sowing grass seed or laying turf although it can be done at any time of year if conditions are right.

I would guess that the pitch was sown in september or october and will be maintained through the winter until around april time when it will be laid at falmer as turf. providing there's no frost or waterlogging, the pitch should romp away and look an absolute treat.

I would imagine that after xmas, you should start to see some kind of developments with the pitch site....i believe quite a bit of the top chalk will be removed, drainage, watering and heating then added and then top quiality top soil added.

This is my opinion and not gospel...i do stand to be corrected on any of it but this would seem the logical course to take.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
I thought I heard that the pitch was going to be grown 'in situ' to avoid any Wembley style grass issues, although I may have misundersood...

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I thought I heard that the pitch was going to be grown 'in situ' to avoid any Wembley style grass issues, although I may have misundersood...

I don't think 3 months (may, june n july) will be long enough to get the seed germinated and established before august. Technically, you're not really supposed to walk on newly sown grass for 6 months.

There might even be a chance that the pitch was sown last spring or autumn just to give it a better chance.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I thought we were gonna play on ASTROTURF!?!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
there is a place on the Broil( sp?) , on the straight road from Ringmer to Chiddingly area that grows special turf ( I think some of the local Lewes clubs use them) Wouldn't surprise me if they are the contractor.

Lord B?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
i'm almost 100 percent certain the pitch will grown on site. i followed the construction of chesterfields new ground and i'm pretty sure they sowed in april time and by late july it was like a snooker table.
you wouldn't spend 500k on a pitch and have it laid as turf imo

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
It should be sewn about March time.
NO turfing.
This has been known for ages.

AMEX Falmer pitch

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
With current grass seed species, a pitch can be sown in situ from nothing and be ready in five weeks.
The undersoil heating and irrigation systems will be put in place over the winter, and come March, my guess is that approximately 320kg of top quality football grass seed will be sown, (perhaps BAR Stadia for any agronomists out there?), going over the pitch in four different directions, with either fibres incorporated in to the top 150mm of the root zone (Fibresand), or there is something called the "Desso System", whereby fibres are litterally "hair transplanted" through the natural grass, which seems more like the info we've gleaned so far.
The web cam will come in to its own at this point.

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
With current grass seed species, a pitch can be sown in situ from nothing and be ready in five weeks.
The undersoil heating and irrigation systems will be put in place over the winter, and come March, my guess is that approximately 320kg of top quality football grass seed will be sown, (perhaps BAR Stadia for any agronomists out there?), going over the pitch in four different directions, with either fibres incorporated in to the top 150mm of the root zone (Fibresand), or there is something called the "Desso System", whereby fibres are litterally "hair transplanted" through the natural grass, which seems more like the info we've gleaned so far.
The web cam will come in to its own at this point.

:bowdown:

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Eastbourne Borough dug up their pitch and had £50,000 of drainage work done and had a newly seeded pitch done during the close season.
shouldnt take too long by the right people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here