Falmer Petition to PM

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Lokki 7 said:
So you are saying the response to the new EDM will be negative then. And the reason not to sign the petition was to keep focus on the (then upcoming) EDM? Hmmm...

after the hysterical - and some downright sniping - comments the other day, I did mention that I wouldn't be commenting any further on the rights or wrongs of the petition. So I wont!

However with regard to this comment, at no point did I say 'dont sign the petition'.

The EDM is one of a number of initiatives which are designed to utilise the skill and persuasiveness of albion supporters. Each one is carefully tailored to provide maximum effect (not just numbers). As we all know, whilst most people on here are committed and will do anything/everything that they can, there will be a need to call upon friends and relatives and that is the area we have to be careful that we dont ask too much of them or indeed confuse them in what they are being asked to do and what it will achieve.

An EDM is a legal, parliamentary process to raise issues direct at the heart of government WITH THOSE WHO MAKE THE DECISIONS. It is a way of underlining the parliamentary impact of an event or issue, to garner the opinions of MPs and to demonstrate key points. The EDM refers to some very specific benefits and issues that surround the Falmer stadium situation. It has been started by the MP in whose constituency the stadium is situated and addresses the department responsible for making the decision.

You very rarely receive a public acknowledgement of an EDM, and in this day and age they are very very rarely debated, but the point is made to the correct people.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Can't belive this still isnt a sticky!

I totaly understand the need for a planned angle of attack but this is out there now with more than 2000 signitures mostly from NSC, this is an independent message forum is'nt it. Got to say this does make you wonder?

zego

Jul 10, 2003
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park
... ... And I mistrust zego mightily.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well at least that explains why all the threads I have posted on have the dreaded black dot on the envelope icon!

Perhaps it also explains why the thread sinks, despite a stream of viewings. Revives every time Lord B has a go at me!

Better news is that some postcards are on their way to me, and I will be having a go at the EDM shortly.

On the point about public/private discussions, I totally understand that there are things that are best not aired in full public view, but I have never felt that NSC was a place where extremely frank and vigorous views can be expressed.

A good way to get through to a more limited but friendly audience is for example via the the excellent Newsletter and/or Almanac prepared by the Supporters Club, which I have subscribed to for several years (never quite understood why NSC has 4,000 members, but Supporters Club does great work with about 300, give or take).

I can't see much point in sending emails to someone 'mightily misstrusted' - who knows, I might just forward it to everybody on my nimby group address list with one click!

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
If the PM interfered with a planning issue I'm sure the LDC would have us over a barrel in a second...not sure why getting the PM invloved is a genuinely good thing?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please....

zego

Jul 10, 2003
He can't interfere, but he can ensure good governance. Prescott's signature against his departments mistake has played straight into the hands of the stoppers.

Any Government of any colour should be worrying on everybodys behalf why this agony has gone on for so many years. Doesn't look good when when the Olympics must be ready in 5 years, and the City of Brighton & Hove hasn't got off the ground in that length of time.

Makes 2018 for the World Cup look dodgy too!

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Petition website seems to be updating at long intervals instead of more or less instantly.

If you go straight to our petition it shows 2080, but has been stuck at this for an hour or more.

If you go to the index by numbers, it shows 2173. It had also been stuck at 2080, but then jumped to this reading recently.

If this higher reading is true, then we are just 30 away from the top page.

The hiccups may be some sort of consequence of the overloading of the site this morning. I have emailed the webmaster.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Barnham Seagull said:
Can't belive this still isnt a sticky!

Yeah, well, maybe take the hint that its not a sticky because its undermining the joined-up approach of the FFA campaign for the sake of somebody's school project or something.

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
Can somebody please explain what Zego meant when he said:

'Well at least that explains why all the threads I have posted on have the dreaded black dot on the envelope icon!'

Is there any significance of the black dot? Sorry if I'm being dense!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
zego said:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park
... ... And I mistrust zego mightily.

Well at least that explains why all the threads I have posted on have the dreaded black dot on the envelope icon!

Perhaps it also explains why the thread sinks, despite a stream of viewings. Revives every time Lord B has a go at me!

The black dot simply signifies that you have posted on a particular thread.

The sinking is due to other threads having more recent replies. You go back to the top of the pile each time a new reply is posted.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
The sinking was a joke.

I don't understand what you are saying about the dot - could you put it better for a thicko?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Tom Hark said:
Yeah, well, maybe take the hint that its not a sticky because its undermining the joined-up approach of the FFA campaign for the sake of somebody's school project or something.
Morning THPP. Surely if the club have put it on their website then they can't think it's doing too much harm. Or are they purposely working against the FFA campaign, as DK is secretly an LDC councillor and wants to see BHA rot?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Woodchip said:
Morning THPP. Surely if the club have put it on their website then they can't think it's doing too much harm. Or are they purposely working against the FFA campaign, as DK is secretly an LDC councillor and wants to see BHA rot?

i would imagine their thinking was rather than have a measley few sigs which could do more harm than good they'd rather get behind it and try and get a couple of thousand. It either had to be all or nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports