Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Petition to PM

zego

Jul 10, 2003
2056 at 13:20

percentage wise, we have climbed faster in the last hour than the million vote petition.

The site is a bit slow to repond, but you can get through, as I just have.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Sorry, but we weren't able to add your signature to the petition, because our site is extremely busy at the moment. Please try again in a few minutes' time.

:angry:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Damn! There goes our chance of ending up higher in the table than the petition to make Spandau Ballet's cheesy eighties smasheroony GOLD the new National Anthem :rolleyes:

Has anyone given any thought as to how the Number Ten office might respond to this petition?

My guess is that the response will be along the lines of:-

"The matter is currently awaiting a decision by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, who is considering representations made by interested parties. It is not appropriate for the Prime Minister to intervene in a process governed by planning law, because to do so would be to run the risk of a further legal challenge to the Secretary of State's decision".

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
Re: We the undersigned - signed or not signed?

zego said:
In case you haven't seen what the discussion is about, this (and the current list of names) is what you will find at:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Falmer/

---------
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Help get a stadium at Falmer Brighton And Hove Albion.

Submitted by Stewart Simmonds – Deadline to sign up by: 14 February 2007 – Signatures: 436

Falmer Stadium is the codename of the community football stadium in East Brighton, near the village of Falmer and the council estate of Moulsecoombe, East Sussex, England. It is to be funded by Brighton and Hove Albion F.C. The stadium is currently planned to be a 22,000 all-seater stadium. Whilst planning permission was given by the unitary authority for the area, Brighton and Hove City Council, the Lewes District Council has fought stadium plans extensively. Although the stadium itself will lie completely within Brighton and Hove, the vacant field straddles the boundary with Lewes (despite being owned by Brighton and Hove). Four years after the original plans were put forward by The Seagulls, John Prescott approved the plans on October 28th 2005. Still over a year later, there is nothing like a stadium.
---------------

The discussion (at length) is in "Petition to the PM" started by The Oldman, 2 days ago, when votes were 37.

Err ... where is the Falmer planning reference number, how will they know what to relate this to?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: We the undersigned - signed or not signed?

Rusco said:
Err ... where is the Falmer planning reference number, how will they know what to relate this to?

It's a piece of incoherent shit IMHO

'Still over a year later, there is nothing like a stadium'

WTF is THAT supposed to mean? :angry:

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Re: Re: Re: We the undersigned - signed or not signed?

Tom Hark said:
It's a piece of incoherent shit IMHO

'Still over a year later, there is nothing like a stadium'

WTF is THAT supposed to mean? :angry:

I agree Tom, but sure there must be some sort of criteria for these sort of things to even be considered, isn't there?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: We the undersigned - signed or not signed?

Rusco said:
I agree Tom, but sure there must be some sort of criteria for these sort of things to even be considered, isn't there?

I'm pretty sure the official response will be EXACTLY as predicted by Lord B a couple of posts up:

Lord Bracknell said:
Has anyone given any thought as to how the Number Ten office might respond to this petition?

"The matter is currently awaiting a decision by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, who is considering representations made by interested parties. It is not appropriate for the Prime Minister to intervene in a process governed by planning law, because to do so would be to run the risk of a further legal challenge to the Secretary of State's decision".

It's all they CAN say really.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We the undersigned - signed or not signed?

Tom Hark said:
I'm pretty sure the official response will be EXACTLY as predicted by Lord B a couple of posts up

What will the response to the new EDM be do you think?

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We the undersigned - signed or not signed?

Tom Hark said:
I'm pretty sure the official response will be EXACTLY as predicted by Lord B a couple of posts up:

Will the fact that Moulsecoomb has been spelt incorrectly have any bearing on this too? Surely if there are factual errors in the submission, this can only go against us.

RE: My point on the planning reference was only because everything else I've signed, sent off etc. has always had this number on there so the lot up at Ruth Kelly's office have something to relate this to.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Lord Bracknell said:

So its a waste of time then ?

Tom Hark said:
Lord B's bit.

So you are saying the response to the new EDM will be negative then. And the reason not to sign the petition was to keep focus on the (then upcoming) EDM? Hmmm...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lokki 7 said:
So you are saying the response to the new EDM will be negative then. And the reason not to sign the petition was to keep focus on the (then upcoming) EDM? Hmmm...

For what it's worth, I don't think the EDM will do much either. But at least it won't hand ammunition to the NIMBYs by allowing them to erroneously compare like with like with the last petition. And I mistrust zego mightily.

Maybe FFA did miss a trick with the petitions, cos apart from the million signature road tax petition, the next one down only had about 47,000 sigs last time I looked. Getting to second place in the league might concievably have meant something. But not this disorganised shambles that even railroaded the official site into running it. A spectacular own-goal IMHO. But feel free to have the last word. ;)

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Lord B:
"Has anyone given any thought as to how the Number Ten office might respond to this petition?"

If you go to: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/list/closed?sort=signers you will be able to check response to already closed petitions. The link bypasses the overloaded main pages, so responds quickly, even now.

Responses seem to have been in as little as a week or so, and to petitions with as few as 101 votes. You get at least a paragraph, might be a bit dismissive, sometimes a page of reasoned discussion, and usually some links to relevant pages.

I agree with what you expect, but I wouldn't expect more from the Government at this stage.

The petitions site declares itself to be a test, in a beta version.

We have gained a lot just by taking part. We are not disgraced in comparison with the other petitions in this system, and it is a completely different kind of petition from paper ones.

I think the postcard and EDM campaigns will have been invigorated by this preliminary skirmish, whether you are trying to prove the signers right or wrong.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I really cant see how this petition is going to make the slightest bit of difference either way. I cant see how it can do any harm, but I also cant see how it is going to help.

Tom Hark said:
For what it's worth, I don't think the EDM will do much either. But at least it won't hand ammunition to the NIMBYs by allowing them to erroneously compare like with like with the last petition. And I mistrust zego mightily.

Maybe FFA did miss a trick with the petitions, cos apart from the million signature road tax petition, the next one down only had about 47,000 sigs last time I looked. Getting to second place in the league might concievably have meant something. But not this disorganised shambles that even railroaded the official site into running it. A spectacular own-goal IMHO. But feel free to have the last word. ;)

Well my last word will be to point out I haven't given my opinion on the new EDM, I asked for yours and you assumed mine. I have made my point on this thread and will now leave it in peace. I'm just glad there are lots of different people who still care enough to do everything they can to push for Falmer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here