Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Petition to PM

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lokki, I totally agree.

If any anti-Falmer person wants to rubbish the petition we can come back with the story about Telscombe's parting shot on this earth as being the 100th signatory on a petition to the PM pledging support to give his beloved Albion a home, a hiome that he will sadly never get to visit.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
ROSM said:
I'm sure that Lord B isn't forgetting it already exists. How can he? All he is saying is that efforts shouldn't be wasted on promoting this. These efforts should not be diverted from the big hitter activities that are and will be occurring.

there is an alternative and that is - just like many anti stadium things have done - just leave it to go stale and move on.

Nobody is going to condem anything or anybody but strategically it is not the right thing to be doing within the battle we are now facing.

Do you honestly think Baker doesn't know about it... will he let it go stale?

You can be sure he's waiting to pounce!!!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
ROSM said:
there aren't divisions in the ranks - everybody wants the same thing. and this isn't a moral standpoint but more a way of ensuring effective use of resources. what people have done already is done and their support is appreciated but it is key that it is not a detriment to the other methods and so those who have given their support just need to be aware that there are other, more tailored, more strategically key ways in which they can give their support.

ROSM you're missing thy point... I KNOWE THERE ARE NO DIVISIONS IN THE RANKS..... I'm telling you the spin that Baker can put on it.... we shouldn't be giving him the ammunition.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Tom Hark said:
Oh well.

That was always going to be the case.

This is the end-game, or the start of the end-game.

The boxes of petitions outside Number 10 was the petition bit that counted. That was Fans United. Whereas this petition is just some bloke, albeit an albion fan, starting a petition. Could start another hundred petitions in the next week, all about Falmer, and they'd be equally meaningless. Sorry, but that's the truth, and all these people having a pop at Lord B isn't going to change that basic fact.

This petition is a schoolboy error. If the Nimbys are on top of their game, they'll use it against us. I know I would.

Let the petition sink.

Closing this thread would be a start.

Sorry, but the stakes are too high at this stage in the game for well-meaning distractions that might actually work against us.

Tom ... good point..... I just don't think it'll go stale because it's already out there in the public domain... it's not sitting on a fans website it's sitting on a governement webpage which means everyone who matters knows it's there. This forces us into a conrer and a choice has to be made. Either we all pull behind it and take the ammunition away from Baker or we ignore it and hope Baker doesn't use it... which one sounds logical to you?

If we can take the petition off, however, I suggest we should do that.

I'm not having a go at Lord B... he has gone to such lengths for our club and he is truly a hero... I just feel too many people seem to be 'toeing the party line' on this without thinking of the possible consequences.

Tom Hark said:
Sorry, I won't be signing it. Apart from anything else, it's set Albion fan against Albion fan yet again. Ho hum.

As far as I can see, it is only you doing that, not the petition. If FFA are going to launch a petition next week then we will get behind that too, where's the harm?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sully, you're missing the point. If you're a new reporter what's the better story - anti-Falmer spokesman lambasts online petition or Albion fan becomes 100th person to pledge support then sadly dies the next day?

I don't for one minute suggest we should be on the phone to The Argus but at the same time we've got the better angle on the petition so don't worry.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
Tom ... good point..... I just don't think it'll go stale because it's already out there in the public domain... it's not sitting on a fans website it's sitting on a governement webpage which means everyone who matters knows it's there. This forces us into a conrer and a choice has to be made. Either we all pull behind it and take the ammunition away from Baker or we ignore it and hope Baker doesn't use it... which one sounds logical to you?

The fact that a random poster has unilaterally posted a well-meaning petition on a government webpage does NOT mean we all have to fall slavishly in line behind it. What's to stop the Nimbys posting a couple of dozen similar-looking petitions, all seemingly coming from Albion fans? If they were even half smart, they could bring the whole petition thing into disrepute and turn the government petition-minders against the Albion's cause.

If this petition can be deleted, it should be.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lokki 7 said:
As far as I can see, it is only you doing that, not the petition. If FFA are going to launch a petition next week then we will get behind that too, where's the harm?

Can I refer you to my learned friend with the big bold font size further up the thread

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lokki 7 said:
Exactly, I can't believe the crap I'm reading about this. It's like saying that no-one should write a letter or even mention the Falmer campaign to anyone unless everyone else does so at the same time, because that would look tinpot and discredit the whole procedure!!! - unless you're told to do so by the FFA campaigners, of course. Very weird and frankly, it comes across as a bit precious. Thankfully, enough people are ignoring them and doing both/everything they can.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
Exactly, I can't believe the crap I'm reading about this. It's like saying that no-one should write a letter or even mention the Falmer campaign to anyone unless everyone else does so at the same time, because that would look tinpot and discredit the whole procedure!!! - unless you're told to do so by the FFA campaigners, of course. Very weird and frankly, it comes across as a bit precious. Thankfully, enough people are ignoring them and doing both/everything they can.

Oh well :shrug:

zego

Jul 10, 2003
A few minutes ago, 384 votes. That's 10 times what it was when The Oldman started this thread 2 days ago.

When I first posted we had 180 votes, and were in 266th position. A day and 1/2 later and we are in 167th.

There are 280+ on this board right now, in 2 minutes a chunk of votes could be added, and you get to see you name in lights! (not really, but you do see the full list straight away, with your name on the end)

We are on course, despite the heavy negativity of some, for doubling each day.

Do the postcards as well. One doesn't cancel out the other, thay are different avenues through to the government. This petition has the advantage, amongst others of being immediately in the public domain (worldwide!), and they can all see who you are and what you have backed.

It can't be sensibly compared with the 60k petition, which was collected in a different way. At the moment 1800 votes would get us onto the opening page of the Government website - top 50. Getting 10,000 votes would get us in to top 10 position.

Tell 2 friends right now. Do the cards. Do the petition.

Just Do It!

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Well done! Didn't hurt did it? Tell the other lagards who look at this thread and just go away.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
zego said:
Well done! Didn't hurt did it? Tell the other lagards who look at this thread and just go away.

A conspiracy theorist would maybe jump to the conclusion that somebody with just over a hundred posts, most of them on this thread, had a vested interest in not letting this thread/petition die ???

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Can you have a conspiracy of one?

This isn't getting in the way by pushing at the same door, it is a way of pushing at two doors into the same castle at the same time.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
zego said:

B000051XVK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

mer

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
zego said:

This isn't getting in the way by pushing at the same door, it is a way of pushing at two doors into the same castle at the same time.

Fair enough. Said my piece on the matter. Go for it.

:wave:

Tom Hark said:
A conspiracy theorist would maybe jump to the conclusion that somebody with just over a hundred posts, most of them on this thread, had a vested interest in not letting this thread/petition die ???

Tom, you are one of the PREMIER posters on this site and I love you dearly but please... you're not serious? Are you saying zego is LDC in disguise, encouraging us to sign because it will give them the ammunition to finnally kill off Falmer once and for all?

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Man of Harveys said:

Agreed. FFS, it's an online petition started by a Brighton fan, that through whatever reason has reached x number of signatures. Just because it's not an official FFA petition does not devalue its worth, nor render it meaningless. As far as I'm concerned, a fan wanted to do something, set up a petition and asked people to sign it.

As for the Nimbys making a deal of it, I personally think they would make a far bigger deal out of an "FFA team refuse to sign pro-Falmer petition" story.

I thought long and hard before posting my first message on this thread ...

Lord Bracknell said:
I've not seen this thread until now and I missed whatever mention of this petition there might have been earlier.

I don't want to discourage anyone from banging the drum for Falmer, but has this idea of a petition been fully thought through?

The main thrust of the campaign at the moment is the Postcard to Ruth Kelly initiative. There are other ideas that are being developed by the Falmer For All team - including a national campaign that will be launched shortly. With those things going on, I'm not sure that FFA has the resources to do everything that is necessary to make a petition as effective as it could be.

The last thing we want is to feed crumbs of comfort to our enemies. But I am fearful that we might see a press release from David Neighbour to the effect that the Falmer campaign has run out of steam ... something along the lines of "Three years ago, the Albion claimed that over 60,000 people actively supported the Falmer campaign. Now that Lewes District Council has pointed out what's wrong with Falmer, support for the stadium has plummeted. Only x hundred people have signed the latest petition".

Sorry. This sounds really negative. But the strength of the campaign has always been organisation and timing.

It certainly wasn't my intention to start a debate that turned Albion fans against one another. I don't feel "got at" by any of the responses and I've tried myself not to "have a go" at any fellow supporter.

I hope no-one is acting like god and telling people what to do or not do. I would be disappointed if people thought I was. But if that's the way it has come across, then I'll have to take the responsibility for starting this debate. It was me wot dun it - and I didn't discuss this with any member of the Falmer For All team before I posted my opinion.

I'm certainly not going to fall out with anyone over this. I hope nobody thinks they will fall out with me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here