Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer museum gets go-ahead

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
From the BBC website

Plans to build a museum, offices and a bigger shop at Brighton and Hove Albion's new stadium have been agreed.

Brighton and Hove City Council gave the go-ahead for the football club to build two new floors in part of the 22,500-seater ground in Falmer on Wednesday.

The club hopes the museum, which would house memorabilia and archaeological artefacts found during construction, and bigger shop will create 20 jobs.

The stadium is due to be completed in September 2011 at a cost of £93m.

'Create more jobs'

Councillor Lynda Hyde said: "This application makes no detrimental difference to the stadium's impact or appearance, yet it does add interest and enhance its viability.

"We also estimate it would create 20 more jobs. So I feel most objective people would feel we're right to support it."

The two new mezzanine floors will be constructed in the North Stand.

In June the club said its 14 corporate boxes had been snapped up, as well as about half of its 2,500 luxury seats.

Brighton and Hove Albion have been without a stadium since their former home closed in 1997 and was then sold.

The initial planning application for stadium on land north of Village Way, in Falmer, was submitted to Brighton and Hove City Council in 2001.

It was accepted by the government in July 2007 after a High Court challenge and two public inquiries and construction began in December 2008.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Would be great to have a proper museum dedicated to the seagulls. I wonder how much of the stuff nabbed from the Goldstone will reappear?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Brighton and Hove Albion have been without a stadium since their former home closed in 1997 and was then sold.

Really? And I've thought all these years that it was the other way round

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Would be great to have a proper museum dedicated to the seagulls. I wonder how much of the stuff nabbed from the Goldstone will reappear?

Anyone know what happened to Reinelt's blue boots?

The application that was approved today is for:-

(i) increased floor area for the club shop;
(ii) new floor area for club offices;
(iii) new museum;
(iv) new floor area for storage; and
(v) minor revisions to the North Stand elevations.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Forgive me for being stupid, if we're already quite a way through the build, where's this extra space coming from?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I've not been on NSC much this week - mainly travelling to and from work, via Falmer Station as it happens.

Who needs pics and video, when the real thing looks so good close up?

Hark at you all smug , "ive seen it for real approach" not everyone has the opportunity.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Forgive me for being stupid, if we're already quite a way through the build, where's this extra space coming from?

It's a 2 storey extension on TOP of the roof.

The planning application is described as "part retrospective".

Indeed, it is.

NSC's very own History Man likes the museum:-

p228288518-3.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here