Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer For All Press Release - Early Day Motion Tabled in House of Commons

just_bhafc

Oct 14, 2003
Shoreham Beach
Do we know if the hospitality at Falmer Stadium is going to serve Beefeater Gin?

If it is perhaps Tim Loughton would support our plans, as the consumption of gin is obviously more important to him than the concerns and issues affecting several hundred of his constituents and potential voters?
:glare:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
just_bhafc said:
Do we know if the hospitality at Falmer Stadium is going to serve Beefeater Gin?

If it is perhaps Tim Loughton would support our plans, as the consumption of gin is obviously more important to him than the concerns and issues affecting several hundred of his constituents and potential voters?
:glare:

I think Tim Loughton's views are coloured by the fact that he's a member of the Society of Sussex Downsmen. As such, there's presumably no way he could be seen to support Falmer.

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
balloonboy said:
Logic: Even if we don't get Falmer, Labour is very likely to be the most supportive party.
If we don't get Falmer, a Labour politician (Prescott) will have finished off the job that Archer, Stanley and Bellotti started.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
West Hoathly Seagull said:
He clearly needs to be told the difference between a muddy field and an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Unfortunately, like it or not, a line on a map dictates that Falmer IS an AONB, no matter how much of an eyesore the area actually is in reality.

Rather than arguing the toss over this (cos we're on a loser there regardless), we would be better focussing our argument on the fact that the Government can and will grant planning permission on an AONB in exceptional circumstances. We need to convince the government that the stadium IS an exceptional circumstance, and that its benefits (nationally, locally, socially, economically) will far outweigh the fact that it is being built on an AONB.

Last edited:

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
East Worthing variation!

Reply just received:

Thank you for your e-mail about the Falmer stadium. This is primarily a matter for Brighton & Hove and Lewes Councils and their residents and I have therefore kept out of the matter. In any case my track record with John Prescott does not make it likely that he will take note of my comments in any case. I have no problem with colleagues in Brighton & Hove supporting the stadium in the interests of the people of Brighton & Hove, supported by the Shadow Secretary of State who approaches it from a purely sport perspective. However the decision could have serious implications for other building projects around the Downs which have been staunchly resisted by my constituents quite rightly and with my support. In the circumstances therefore I think it is better that I have not been a vociferous opponent and would like to remain so which surely is in the better interests of your cause.

Tim Loughton MP

Sea

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
Apparently my local MP Ed Davey (lib dems) is prescotts shadow secretary so i feel some letter writing to him might be a good idea!!:clap:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just received a reply from Nicholas Soames which is word for word the same as that sent to West Hoathly Seagull. Obviously this is a standard reply that he is sending out.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Vicar! said:
In the circumstances therefore I think it is better that I have not been a vociferous opponent and would like to remain so which surely is in the better interests of your cause.

Tim Loughton MP

ie, stop writing to me, or I'll start slagging off Falmer.

Nice bit of political blackmail, perhaps?!

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
Had this reply from Paul Flynn (Lab.,Newport West):

Many thanks for your email on the matter of EDM 889.

I have been in touch with Peter Pike, who put the EDM down on the matter and have already signed it. A strong case has certainly been made for the stadium and I believe that for the EDM to have as much as weight as possible it is essential for people like yourself to ask their M.P.s to sign 889.

Thank you again for contacting me on this matter.

Best wishes,

Paul Flynn MP
House of Commons
London
SW1A 0AA

A man of integrity!:clap: :clap:
He seems to suggest that with enough signatures an EDM could have an impact; despite some of the more laughable examples that have been posted on this thread!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
SuperFurrySeagull said:

He seems to suggest that with enough signatures an EDM could have an impact; despite some of the more laughable examples that have been posted on this thread!

yeah 'my' MP Tim Loughton said it would'nt have an effect...wanker!

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Janet Dean, Labour MP for Burton, has signed the EDM. I'll drop her a thank you.

Incidentally, Burton Albion have recently obtained planning consent for a new stadium opposite their current ground and are hoping to have it ready by this Christmas. The only AONB within 10 miles is my vegetable patch.

Dandyman

In London village.
Easy 10 said:
Don't sweat it.
This weasels scrotum was clearly not going to sign in favour of Falmer anyway, and has only bothered replying to you because he felt like coming back with a "how dare you speak to me that way...do you know how I am ?" attitude. If you'd written with a bit more toadying, he'd just have ignored it (like the others) and still not signed.

The fact that he is small minded enough to get all huffy and decide not to sign an EDM because of one "aggressive" email, despite the EDM's obvious merits, just shows what a small-minded, odious little prick this character is.

Stick it up your arse Loughton. I'll be sure to have a bucket full of something smelly ready if you bother trying to canvass me.

Loughton was in the year above me at Lewes Priory. He was a "Tory Boy" freak even then. :tosser:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
mona said:
Still no LibDems have signed. Norman Baker is not alone. I know which party I won't vote for again.

I will be writing to Paul Elgood on this - Brighton & Hove Lib Dems are firmly behind Falmer - they should know that the (in)action of their elected MPs is seriously hampering their credentials in B&H. It would help if some others could also write to him:

paul.elgood@brighton-hove.gov.uk

From the Brighton & Hove Liberal Democrat website:

The City Council's Liberal Democrat Group Leader has written to the Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott urging him to support the Albion's dream of a stadium at Falmer.

In a letter to John Prescott, Councillor Paul Elgood, added his voice to many thousands of supporters for the stadium.

Paul said:

"I have supported Falmer at each stage of the planning process and have done so again by writing to John Prescott. Not all of my party's colleagues from elsewhere agree with me, but I strongly believe that a community stadium is in the best interest of the city and this is the only site available to deliver it on."

"There is no other site on the table and there is no other option open. This is the best way to keep the Albion operational and succeeding."

"John Prescott has the power rule in favour of Falmer, and I hope he turns the Albion's dream into a reality."

In the letter to John Prescott, Paul writes:

"If the application is granted there will be enormous benefit for the city and surrounding region in terms of jobs, leisure and community facilities, sporting provision and continued support for Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club."

"The application has gone through a robust and exhaustive process. I can say this from the position of leading an opposition political party in the city, which includes members from outside of the city who are sceptical of the plan. The outcome of the democratic planning process should now be honoured by you."

"The council has undertaken a thorough search for alternative sites for such a stadium. This has proved to be negative and the Albion is left with only one choice for survival. Indeed, the significance of the Albion to this part of the region is huge - you have to go to Portsmouth, Crystal Palace or Gillingham to find clubs of similar size and prominence."

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Bit of an update, boys and girls:

Prompted by Balloon Boy, I've sent the following email to Paul Elgood:

Dear Mr Elgood,

Many thanks for your repeated efforts in the Falmer stadium campaign as
reported on the Brighton and Hove Lib Dems website on the 16th of February.

What a shame that Norman Baker, until now an admirable MP, has so damaged
his credibility in my eyes and those of many people Brighton and Hove,
Sussex, and the UK by opposing the campaign.

He has not done quite as much to attempt to destroy the Albion as that other
well-known Liberal Democrat, David Bellotti, but he is having a good go.

Yours ever
etc

There's also an EDM, number 901, entitled Public Services in Hyndburn which reads as follows:

That this House notes with concern plans by Hyndburn Borough Council to privatise services at Accrington Town Hall and Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre; notes that there has been little or no consultation with staff, unions, opposition councillors or members of the public; believes that the plans are hastily ill-conceived; and calls upon the leadership of the Council to withdraw them forthwith.

It has twenty-five signatures. If your MP has signed it but not the Albion one, it might be as well to point out to them that EDMs do not have to be constituency-related.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Reply from John Denham MP.

"Thanks for your e-mail. I'm very sympathetic to your position having suffered the frustration of seeing the best site for the Saints stadium blocked, but I'm sure the EDM won't influence the decision and, indeed, I wouldn't want to give the impression that the decision is being taken after political pressure as we wouldn't want any challenge to any decision by John Prescott."

gazzamk

Apr 1, 2004
Near Milton Keynes
Just had this reply from Milton Keynes North Labour MP Brian White

Gary

As this was matter for Brighton I had not intended to sign the EDM but given
your arguments I can see why it is important to do so and will do so
tomorrow.

Brian White MP

Good on ya Brian
we will make you a honarary MK Seagull for that

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
p_martlew.jpg

One Eric Martlew! There's only One Eric Martlew!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here