Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer another delay!!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The stadium won't be delayed in it's opening by this (very) minor latest delay.

Yes it's frustrating, but the news today from SEEDA more than compenates for it.

And the proposals for the National Park. :thumbsup:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Feel as free to feel insulted as I do to feel cross enough to make such an intemperate statement!

I don't care whether people agree or disagree with what Lord B has to say on this or any other matter. He is quite capable of pontif...er, speaking for himself and taking the consequences.

I also don't like to give offence but I do find it depressing to see such an eager desire to Wallow In Grief despite their being scant evidence that there's any need to treat this announcement with such rabid outpourings of pessimism.

Forgive my tardiness, i have only just read your post.

Yesterday I was depressed as hell by the further delays, and I reserve the right to be pessimistic as you have the right to be seemingly not bothered by such things.

Today I am less pessimistic than yesterday, the potential £5.3m stadium funding helped, but I still feel like someone's gonna pull the rug from underneath us all yet again delaying things, and I am damn sure that I am not the only one who feels this way.

Jesus f***ing christ. Noooooooooooooo!!!

we ARE doomed
No we're not.

But we might have been condemned to a much more serious delay if Hazel Blears had made the decision this week and Baker chose to question whether she'd had enough time in the post to consider the decision thoroughly.

For a start, he would demand to know what she had in her diary this week, so that he could be satisfied that she really had been properly briefed on Falmer.

Without going on any deep search, I'm aware that she has spent part of the week on security issues, part of the week at cabinet meetings and most of today in Birmingham and Sheffield. Tomorrow she's in Hull. And, as any half-way decent new boss will have done, she's no doubt also spent part of the week touring her new department and meeting the staff.

The forensics would expose us to the risk of another serious legal challenge.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
No we're not.

But we might have been condemned to a much more serious delay if Hazel Blears had made the decision this week and Baker chose to question whether she'd had enough time in the post to consider the decision thoroughly.

For a start, he would demand to know what she had in her diary this week, so that he could be satisfied that she really had been properly briefed on Falmer.

Without going on any deep search, I'm aware that she has spent part of the week on security issues, part of the week at cabinet meetings and most of today in Birmingham. And, as any half-way decent new boss will have done, she's no doubt also spent part of the week touring her new department and meeting the staff.

The forensics would expose us to the risk of another serious legal challenge.

On that basis, 25th July looks like way too soon for her to make an informed decision based on the other more important planning decisions that she will have to make.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Now that Mormon Baker is the front bench spokesman (presumaby he has dreamt of this position) is he 'encouraged' to reply to letters/emails that non-constituents send?! I have not had a response thus far!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
On that basis, 25th July looks like way too soon for her to make an informed decision based on the other more important planning decisions that she will have to make.

I received an email today...

"...the deadline by which the Secretary of State will issue her final decision on these applications has been extended. The final decision will now be issued on or before 25 July 2007. This will be the final target for this case unless advised otherwise."

Obviously an insurance 'policy' but it doesn't make me feel better about a decision date!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So are you saying there is no continuity in Government when there are changes made at the top? Thats just not the case,there is a civil service and Pondicherry's post is spot on.

No, the second part of his post is working on the assumption that the first part is correct, which it is not, and the reason has been made clear.

Storer68, who actually knows about this sort of thing, is correct. Hazel Blears did not know she was going to be in this position until last Thursday. In fact, NO-ONE did (with the exception possibly of Gordon Brown and a couple of his closest advisors) until then.

As for the concept of Ruth Kelly announcing the decision before she left office - it's quite simple. She wasn't due to.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
TLO I think most of us understand what happens when you get a new cabinet. A lot of us predicted that there would be a delay. What got up my nose was that an MP, Civil servants; press officers kept on saying that the deadline of 9 July would be met. It may have been said with good intent but they were wrong.

Throughout this sorry business we have been told that everything was OK only to have each stage blow up in our face. Now this latest delay is minor and hopefully will end with a positive step forward in getting our new stadium, but you can understand why many of us now blow a gasket when OOPS! another delay happens.

The government, until yesterday morning, said that they were still aiming for July 9th. There was no reason to change that information until such time as it was clear that it was a deadline that couldn't be attained. I know it sounds an obvious thing to say, but it really is that straightforward.

You DON'T go around in government saying 'well, we're aiming for it, but we might not attain it - we'll wait and see.' You wait until you KNOW that it can't be attained before you release any information.

And the reason for this delay is not a government cock-up, unless someone can present some evidence to say it was. It's because of a change of leadership within that department, and that person needs to be brought up to speed on, well, everything.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I received an email today...

"...the deadline by which the Secretary of State will issue her final decision on these applications has been extended. The final decision will now be issued on or before 25 July 2007. This will be the final target for this case unless advised otherwise."

Obviously an insurance 'policy' but it doesn't make me feel better about a decision date!!

Nail - Head - Hit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here